LegacyGT.com

Broken lug nut

G.T.Subie

Well I was going to take my wheels off and clean them today and I realized my lugs were WAY too tight. I tried to get them off and couldn't budge them with a 2foot pipe. Eventually the one lug rolled and broke right off:mad:. How much effin torque would have to be used in order to break a lug. These are the spline lugs.

My wheels were rotated by my mechanic, I didn't ask him to but he just did it while the car was there on Friday. I have gone to him a couple years now and he is a good guy adn usually does good work.

Denial is your best friend

Sounds like he just didn't check the torque setting on his impact gun.

I would definitely tell him about it.

Or he didnt use a torque stick like most of them should.

I have realized never to trust anyone with an impact gun to tighten your lugs. I have had idiots cross thread and over tighten lugs so many times.

Luckily, I have a local tire shop that uses an impact to take off the lugs, but hand torques with a click stick for each lug. Yes, I've seen them use it. Top notch service.

I have had issues with other tire shops though...2-3 foot breaker bar needed....ridiculous!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Well got the lugs replaced today,he appologized but he still didn't think they were too tight.

They busted my balls a little but all is good.

Good to hear. Did they retorque everything to spec?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 weeks later...

Archived