LegacyGT.com

Brembo Upgrade----Parts List

I need a little info on finishing up my Brembo Upgrade on my 13' 2.5i

Here's my current parts list but need some info on what else I need.

Front Brembos off 04' STI

Rear Brembos off 04' STI

5x100 front rotors

I know I need 04' STI pads front and rear

I have upgraded stainless steel brake lines on my 2.5i now but are they compatible with the STI calipers?

I know I need the KNS version 2 adapter and the 08+ STI dual drilled 5x100/5x114 rotors but will my current parking brake work?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so here is what you are looking for:

Front Calipers: 2004+ STI - direct bolt on

Rears have two options. First is way way better.

Rear Calipers Option1: 2008+ STI - direct bolt on

Rears Caliper Option2" 2004-2007 STI with KNS V2 rear bracket

Rotors: DBA makes dual drilled 5x114 and 5x100 rotors. KNS Brakes, OAKOS and Infamous are vendors here and will be more than happy to make sure you get the right parts.

There are more dual drilled options for the Fronts than the backs.

Pad options include Carbotech, Hawk, Stoptech and a few OEM type pads. Decide how aggressive you will be with the car. AutoX and occasional track day will push the pad type. This is an area where you can spend a little or spend a lot and never get the benefits of the pads.

SS lines are 100% compatible. EDIT: You need a 5th gen kit; Brembo and OEM mate up to the same SS fixture.

Use quality fluid that boils at higher temps. ATE 200 and Motul are two good ones.

Edit: one more thing. GTEASER pay attention:

I have gone though the screeching brakes from hell. Low speeds in populated areas is when it happens. I blamed the pads, but it is where you lube the pads, and with WHAT. Gone through 3-4 different lubes (or some all it brake grease). First DO NOT use anti-seize. The temps make this hard. Use Permatex 24125.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nzdNAmQ8L.jpg

Edited by minuccims

Yes, 04-13 fronts are direct bolt on. 08-13 rears are direct bolt on. 04-07 rears need the bracket from KNS because the parking brake drum was smaller than ours for those years.

In the past, I may have perpetuated the statement that the 04-07 e-brake drum size is 170mm. But they are 190mm just like 2008+. The bracket is needed on the 04-07 to adapt to the bolts for our platform, the same as 08+ STI.

WRX and 4th gens use a different 5x100 rear rotor so the 170mm drum works with thier e-brake.

So it's critical to make sure you get the correct dual drilled rear rotor that has the 190mm drum.

This is a timely thread for me. I'm picking up a set of 08+ Sti Brembos with pads. They said they might have rotors as well but I want to be sure what it is I need.

All their parts are off STi's so will 08+ rotors fit on our cars? I was under the assumption that they wouldn't but maybe they are dual drilled?

Also will the SS break lines from an STI fit or do I need to buy ones specifically for our car.

Thanks

Also will the SS break lines from an STI fit or do I need to buy ones specifically for our car.

Thanks

I'm guessing the fronts will fit but rear will not (or maybe I'm backwards). I know one or the other requires a unique 2-piece vs. 1-piece fitment.

Probably better off just buying a 5th gen specific kit.

...not to hijack this thread, but I've been back and forth about the Brembo upgrade. Is the upgrade really worth it if the car isn't being tracked (it's my understanding that larger calipers improve fade resistance not stopping distance)?

...not to hijack this thread, but I've been back and forth about the Brembo upgrade. Is the upgrade really worth it if the car isn't being tracked (it's my understanding that larger calipers improve fade resistance not stopping distance)?

if you are not tracking, get good pads, stainless steel lines, and good fluids

Going on the 4th year with Brembos. On of the best mods done and would get them again. Sure, it's a little extra cost. Brembos weigh less than OEM. Everyone always bitches about how much wheels weight and the need to reduce unsprung weight. Well, here's you're chance.

I experienced OEM brake fade early in my LGT experience. Once was enough to go straight to Brembos. Peace of mind all the time. Have used $40 pads on the fronts that kicked ass relative to the OEM setup. Those pads performed the same from new to end of life. Can't say that for OEM setup.

If you just spend a bunch on your new wheels and are putting more rubber on the road, if you are driving aggressively, the rotors will heat up, possibly above what the street pads can take.

Brake modulation - check. It's kind of like having no throttle control until after a pro-tune.

Finally new wheels with less spokes + OEM calipers = epic fail. Eyes go right past those sweet wheels and fixate on those ugly calipers. The rears will look way to small. Lowered your ride? Well, check out that ridiculous gap from the rotors to the inside of the rim. Embarrassment.

So BBKs are performance peace of mind and bling support. If you do mods to go fast, why not have a mod plan to stop?

I'm guessing the fronts will fit but rear will not (or maybe I'm backwards). I know one or the other requires a unique 2-piece vs. 1-piece fitment.

Probably better off just buying a 5th gen specific kit.

Buy a 5th gen kit. In the original post I state 100% compatible in that the Brembo and OEM calipers interface to the same fixure on the Legacy OEM brake lines and the SS lines in the kit.

WRX rears are too short. 4th Gen Legacy are two pieces rather than one.

4th gen fronts fit, not sure about WRX fronts.

Edited by minuccims

Be careful about only modding the front with BBKs. Read up on brake bias. If you only add front BBK with better pads, more weight shifts forward.

Plan to get some aggressive pads for the back to limit too much forward bias.

This is a timely thread for me. I'm picking up a set of 08+ Sti Brembos with pads. They said they might have rotors as well but I want to be sure what it is I need.

All their parts are off STi's so will 08+ rotors fit on our cars? I was under the assumption that they wouldn't but maybe they are dual drilled?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

OK, been planning for a Brembo upgrade, I have been trying to compile a parts list...

Please tell me if I am on the right track.

2008+ F/R STI Brembo Calipers

2008+ F/R Dual Drilled Rotor Package with Stoptech Pads

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/car-series/762_2005+Subaru+Impreza+WRX+STI/239_KNS+4K+Rotors+and+Stoptech+Street+Peformance+Brake+Pads

Do I have to make sure to ask for the 190mm rear parking brake rotor?

Am I on the right track here?

You also need to make sure you have the Brembo caliper bolts. They are a different thread pitch than the bolts for the stock calipers. I got mine at www.oakos.com. You don't have to specifically ask KNS for the 190mm drum rotor, as long as the rotors you are getting are 2008+ STi drilled to 5x100.

• 3 weeks later...
Keep an eye out for used 2008+ STi Brembo calipers on NASIOC, IWSTI, etc. Otherwise they are about $650 each new front and $550 each new rear from Subaru. Used ones in good condition usually get snapped up pretty quick. If you want the old goldies and are willing to rebuild the pistons and have them powdercoated, you can usually get them pretty cheap on EBay, but watch for stripped threads. Edited by GTEASER