LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad Upgrade

05GT2.5MD

do any of you guys know if you can get ceramic brake pads from the dealer or are the only kinds that are available from the actual dealership the same as the ones that came on the car? i'm not looking for anything huge just a low dust option for when i get my wheels next week

yeah thats what i thought...i was just wondering b/c i have some money to spend at the dealership if they can not get me change off an insurance check that was made out directly to them and came up being less than the check was made out for.

are you going to track the car? i think ceramics need some warming up to work well. if you have the cash and want NO dusting get Endless SS-M. They are expensive, but work very well, no dust and should last 40K+ Fr. and 60K rear. ask Xenonk.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawk HPS = $133 at thekingofparts (aka Fred Beans Subaru, PA)

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/

HPS = "High Performancs Street" (Ferro-Carbon compound)

-Similar dusting to OEM. Better bite.

Performance Ceramic = "Luxury and Touring Compound"

-Less dust, less performance then HPS.

HP Plus = "Autocross & Track Compound" (Ferro-Carbon compound)

-Takes some time to warm these up. Not the best for a daily driver...dusty, higher performance once warm. Most likely more noise.

(Good fluid is just as important as a good pad)

I can't find temp ratings for HPS pads.... anyone know?

only found this at fastwrx.com

"HPS = street performance - a good pad with reasonable noise and dust and better performance than 'commodity' pads (good to 750 deg F or so). Available for all WRX and WRX STi, plus most Forester and Legacy cars."

I ran HPS pads on my G35 sedan (about the same weight but smaller rotors) almost no dust...no squeek, and life like mad...oh yeah, and they stopped on a dime.

HPS go on my GT this Saturday. :)

^ I was thinking about doing HPS pads or Carbotech bobcats.....

Opinions, experience?

I've been using Carbotech Bobcats for about a year for daily driving and am happy with them. I tried their Panther Plus and they were too noisy on the street and got very hot on the track and dusted a lot there, but hey I was really using them up. Probably needed to move my braking zone back a bit so I could start accelerating out sooner with the AWD.

I've got some of their XP10 pads that I'll try next time at the road coarse. They would probably be sufficient when I was Stage 2 as the straights are relatively short and was was hitting hit just over 100 mph on the couple longer ones. But now that I've upgraded intake, turbo, injectors, fuel pump and exhaust I expect to hit 110-115 mph (based on some testing), and the X10 pads may still not be enough to reign her in without fading. I've got the DBA4000 slotted rotors on now too with the thermal paint indicators. We'll see how hot I get them.

I've been using Carbotech Bobcats for about a year for daily driving and am happy with them. I tried their Panther Plus and they were too noisy on the street and got very hot on the track and dusted a lot there, but hey I was really using them up. Probably needed to move my braking zone back a bit so I could start accelerating out sooner with the AWD.

I've got some of their XP10 pads that I'll try next time at the road coarse. They would probably be sufficient when I was Stage 2 as the straights are relatively short and was was hitting hit just over 100 mph on the couple longer ones. But now that I've upgraded intake, turbo, injectors, fuel pump and exhaust I expect to hit 110-115 mph (based on some testing), and the X10 pads may still not be enough to reign her in without fading. I've got the DBA4000 slotted rotors on now too with the thermal paint indicators. We'll see how hot I get them.

I have the steering wheel shake when I am braking from 50+ mph...That tells me that my rotors are either warped or my pads have worn uneven. Nonetheless, I definitely need to upgrade with the accelerating that I do. (Its so hard not to when you have that kind of power) :)

I have the steering wheel shake when I am braking from 50+ mph...That tells me that my rotors are either warped or my pads have worn uneven. Nonetheless, I definitely need to upgrade with the accelerating that I do. (Its so hard not to when you have that kind of power) :)

Do some research on "warped" rotors. Usually this never happens. It could simply be baked in brake dust build up or something with your caliper. I have a little of this too, but from higher speeds.

Do some research on "warped" rotors. Usually this never happens. It could simply be baked in brake dust build up or something with your caliper. I have a little of this too' date=' but from higher speeds.[/quote']

That makes me feel better. Thanks for the tip.

Archived