LegacyGT.com

Bought my 2nd legacy

Hello, just purchased my 2nd legacy. Had one a few years ago as you can see in my avatar. This new one is my winter car :) its a 1995 LSi, 2.2 auto with 195,000 miles. New tires, coil over struts, cam seals and also new brakes all around. Brand new paint job 2 weeks ago. Everything works.. cruise, sunroof etc. Paid 2k for it... I was a little hesitant about buying it with 195k but i figured why not. How do you guys think I did? Good deal or no? I have a 2010 civic with 320 whp and an R1 so won't be adding any go fast mods to it but thinking about doing some cosmetic stuff, any suggestions? For being almost 20 years old I think it looks good :)

Nice! Any bigger pics than just what's on your avatar?

Ha ha you're like me; I won't add go fast bits to my Leggy--just cosmetic stuff--because I have other things to go faster in. :-) Well actually, I lie...I did put a Perrin panel air filter in the Leggy that was in the STI a long time ago. Does that count as a go-fast bit?

But the Leggy is an awesome DD for sure!

PS...for cosmetics, on the inside I carbon fiber vinyl wrapped my door cards and they look pretty nice. Thinking of maybe doing other interior bits in CF vinyl wrap, like the trim around the window switches and center console and stack.

I know you just painted the exterior, but black hoods seems to be in vogue with some...vinyl wrap or Plasti-Dip maybe? Also on the exterior, DIY front lip maybe? And window tint for sure!

Haha the well the filter kinda counts I guess. I actually lied a little too cuz I was planning on throwing a carbon fiber muffler tip (fart cannon) on it because the previous owner straight piped it and I think it would clean up the back nicely. That will give me what... 15 horsepower easy? Lol. Yeah the one in my avatars I sold before I was deployed but it was reliable and I had tons of fun with it in the snow. Thanks for the tips a black hood would look pretty good on it.. or maybe a carbon vinyl wrap?

Here's a pic from when I bought it will get better ones tonight http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/8asumame.jpg

Good thing your not adding power mods..there aren't any. Looks great though man, not bad at all for 2k I think the only cosmetic mod you really need are my liscense plates. Haha. I love the look of all subaru legacy's my favorite is still the bd/bk. I sorely miss mine. Awesome that you got a 95 as well, no shrek ears, has a good sound system.

Haha the well the filter kinda counts I guess. I actually lied a little too cuz I was planning on throwing a carbon fiber muffler tip (fart cannon) on it because the previous owner straight piped it and I think it would clean up the back nicely. That will give me what... 15 horsepower easy? Lol. Yeah the one in my avatars I sold before I was deployed but it was reliable and I had tons of fun with it in the snow. Thanks for the tips a black hood would look pretty good on it.. or maybe a carbon vinyl wrap?

Nice car!

It's only 15 if you put a sticker on the car too, otherwise fart can without accompanying sticker is only good for 10HP LoL!

If you do vinyl wrap (the hood I'm assuming, but black gloss roofs seem to be "in" as well) there's a company called TeckWrap based out of Maryland that is having a pretty good sale on black matte, gloss, and carbon fiber ("3D"). http://www.teckwrapusa.com/USA-biggest-car-wrap-vinyl-sale.html

I bought a 30ftx5ft roll for $99.99 shipped...so less than $1/sq-ft! It's lower end stuff, but pretty decent for the price. If you look at posts I've loaded in the "what did you do to your 2nd gen" thread, you can see some of the stuff I recently did on the door cards and on the exterior. Blankdeluxe just wrapped his hood in CF black (TeckWrap brand) also, and put up a pic. 3M or Arlon brands are really good and easier to work with (it's what I used on my door cards), but cost upwards of 3-4 times more than TeckWrap or generic no-name brands.

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I know about the lack of speed mods for these cars, my last legacy I had a custom intake and custom exhaust, I wasn't about to race everyone on the street with it because it wasn't fast in any way.. but damn was it fun in the snow. Had a lot of grunt which I liked and sounded awesome. I took a few road trips with it and owned it during a crazy time in my life.. wish I could buy it back. Thanks for the info on the wrap and exhaust man! Gonna look into it and check out that thread! Is that your STi in your avatar? Looks sick! Had a chance to snap a pic of it after work but plan on getting more tomorrow after I wash it.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/16/aryzehu2.jpg Only thing that sucks about this car is that it's an auto:( b

Nice man.. always wanted an STi but the insurance woulda killed me.. that was a couple years ago and have not gotten any tickets since.. about to turn 25 in a couple months so hoping that coupled with my record being clean for a few years helps if I decide to upgrade from my Si.

Thanks for the info on the wheel wells! I'll check those out tonight. Anyone have any tips on preventative maintenance? Gonna change tranny fluid this weekend. Are these trannys known to go well over 200k mi? I don't plan on abusing it, just gonna be my daily driver in the winter

Thanks for any insight !

Nice man.. always wanted an STi but the insurance woulda killed me.. that was a couple years ago and have not gotten any tickets since.. about to turn 25 in a couple months so hoping that coupled with my record being clean for a few years helps if I decide to upgrade from my Si.

Thanks for the info on the wheel wells! I'll check those out tonight. Anyone have any tips on preventative maintenance? Gonna change tranny fluid this weekend. Are these trannys known to go well over 200k mi? I don't plan on abusing it, just gonna be my daily driver in the winter

Thanks for any insight !

If you have USAA, actually the insurance isn't bad. I think I pay the same insurance on my STI as my Outback. When I got mine, their insurance rate for the STI was the same as the regular impreza. It really surprised me when I was talking to the agent setting up insurance. I asked him specifically, "You know this isn't a standard Impreza, right?" and he said, "Yup. Know all about them." So then I was like OK and went with it. But...I caveat that when I bought the STI, I was over 25 and already married, so I had those "discounts" going for me, so maybe that's why the insurance was so cheap.

I changed the tranny fluid on mine as soon as I got it. There's a good writeup on changing the tranny fluid on Subaruoutback.org and I think on this forum as well. I did the fluid change over 3 weeks though...supposedly when you drain from the pan, only about 1/3 of the fluid actually gets out. So I'd drain what came out, refill, drive for a week. The next saturday, same thing. Then one more saturday after that. It was either that or do one of those services that sucks out the old stuff while pushing in new stuff, but that gets expensive.

Other preventative maintenance things you might consider doing is changing out all the fluids, particularly if the previous owner didn't keep good records on when he/she did those. Aside from tranny...differential, power steering, brake fluid, and radiator. Also, maybe a couple tank fulls of injector cleaner to make sure those are nice and clean.

Other preventative things I did "right away" were to do the timing and accessory belts (with water pump, tensioners, and thermostat---got a good deal on labor at a local shop) and changed the plugs and wires, which were super easy. If you change the plugs and wires, you may consider the popular MSD coil upgrade as well. I noticed that after changing the plugs and wires that the unburned gas smell in my exhaust was virtually gone, and that the car had a bit more getup and go and improved gas mileage (I think around 2 MPG).

Just some thoughts on some of the easier/quicker things to do (well, timing belt is a PITA but if you can find a shop that will do it for a fair price, might be worth it).

If you have USAA, actually the insurance isn't bad. I think I pay the same insurance on my STI as my Outback. When I got mine, their insurance rate for the STI was the same as the regular impreza. It really surprised me when I was talking to the agent setting up insurance. I asked him specifically, "You know this isn't a standard Impreza, right?" and he said, "Yup. Know all about them." So then I was like OK and went with it. But...I caveat that when I bought the STI, I was over 25 and already married, so I had those "discounts" going for me, so maybe that's why the insurance was so cheap.

I changed the tranny fluid on mine as soon as I got it. There's a good writeup on changing the tranny fluid on Subaruoutback.org and I think on this forum as well. I did the fluid change over 3 weeks though...supposedly when you drain from the pan, only about 1/3 of the fluid actually gets out. So I'd drain what came out, refill, drive for a week. The next saturday, same thing. Then one more saturday after that. It was either that or do one of those services that sucks out the old stuff while pushing in new stuff, but that gets expensive.

Other preventative maintenance things you might consider doing is changing out all the fluids, particularly if the previous owner didn't keep good records on when he/she did those. Aside from tranny...differential, power steering, brake fluid, and radiator. Also, maybe a couple tank fulls of injector cleaner to make sure those are nice and clean.

Other preventative things I did "right away" were to do the timing and accessory belts (with water pump, tensioners, and thermostat---got a good deal on labor at a local shop) and changed the plugs and wires, which were super easy. If you change the plugs and wires, you may consider the popular MSD coil upgrade as well. I noticed that after changing the plugs and wires that the unburned gas smell in my exhaust was virtually gone, and that the car had a bit more getup and go and improved gas mileage (I think around 2 MPG).

Just some thoughts on some of the easier/quicker things to do (well, timing belt is a PITA but if you can find a shop that will do it for a fair price, might be worth it).

Oh gotcha, yeah cheapest I could get was progressive :/ but they also did not distinguish between my Si and a regular civic so I got lucky on that. I'm gonna drain the tranny piecemeal like you mentioned I think, just need to find time to fiddle with this thing :$ guy said the timing was done at 160,000 so hopefully he's telling the truth... also I think this 95 should have a non interference engine? And 97 and up was interference? Anyways thanks for the insightful tips guys!

Washed it and cleaned out the interior and got some better pics of it

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/syme3e4e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/9a6eje5u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/y4ajydaj.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/azy7y7ep.jpg

800cc injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, custom turbo and piping. Exhaust and tune. It was all done to it before I purchased. It rips pretty good ☺ may be getting rid of it very soon tho to pick up something AWD. Sucks not being able to drive the "nice car" all winter:/

And my other toy, my favorite :Dhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/25/bumyquhu.jpg

800cc injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, custom turbo and piping. Exhaust and tune. It was all done to it before I purchased. It rips pretty good ☺ may be getting rid of it very soon tho to pick up something AWD. Sucks not being able to drive the "nice car" all winter:/

And my other toy, my favorite :Dhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/25/bumyquhu.jpg

Very nice! General setup is pretty close to what I got on the STI. ;-) If you are looking for something AWD, GD STI's are going for under

$20K now...just make sure you find one from someone that has kept very, very good records of it. Or mid-2000 and newer Legacy GTs in good shape are going pretty reasonably as well.

Sweet R1...always wanted one because I loved the way they looked, but for crotch rockets I stuck with Honda's because they "felt" better to me. Had a 99 CBR 600F4 (loved this bike and regret ever giving it up), then a CBR929RR. After that I had a Japanese Kawasaki Z400 (this was a super fun bike!) then a Suzuki SV650S (which I modded the hell out of b/c I was going to track it...but then kids). I do miss riding though...

Thanks! I could turn the boost up if I wanted but the guy said where it's at is the most reliable level, so never messed with it. I've surprised a lot of people with it, because they assume it's N/A. But yeah I've definitely been looking into STi's and WRX's too... even got my eyes open for Evo's :p but maybe I'll enjoy this legacy a lot in the winter so who knows!

You've had a pretty impressive collection of bikes. I have noticed that Honda's are super comfy and user friendly. I'd actually much rather own an 08+ cbr1000rr because they make a lot of useable power, whereas the R1 makes most power at the top of the rev range. I actually used to own an SV650S awesome bike in the corners, super light and flickable and huge aftermarket for it. I still see it now and again because I sold it to a family member http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/26/gu4u4eny.jpg

I don't know if I could go without a bike.. the itch is too strong :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone ever use the plasti dip "smoke" on their headlights or tails? Thinking of giving it a shot because I think the car would look awesome with smoked tails/headlights. Also anyone have any experience with having keys cut with the vin #? I went and tried to have a spare made but the one key I got with the car is apparently so worn down they couldn't duplicate it 😞

I had keys cut one time from the dealer database. This was a long time ago (10+ years) and for my Honda at the time, but from what I remember, I had to bring proof that the car was mine (car, license, insurance, etc.) Try calling up the nearest dealer you'd go to and see what their process is nowadays.

I had keys cut one time from the dealer database. This was a long time ago (10+ years) and for my Honda at the time, but from what I remember, I had to bring proof that the car was mine (car, license, insurance, etc.) Try calling up the nearest dealer you'd go to and see what their process is nowadays.

Thanks, heard of a locksmith that can probably duplicate it near where I live, gonna try him and if he's unable to the I'll be calling the local subaru dealer. Gonna try to lay the film myself before I take it in to have a professional do it. But knowing my previous tint job attempts I'll probably take it in eventually :p

Archived