LegacyGT.com

Bought this header on eBay-Thoughts?

m sprank

ok, I know I'm nuts. But I could not resist. With 25 minutes left in the auction, this exact set of headers (on its way to me tomorrow) was still $9.99. So, I bid. I won the damn things for $20.50 plus $45 shipping. For $65 I will be a guinea pig.

Heres the link, I will post up pics and results when they arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270492719423&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Any thoughts? Comments? Flames? Planning the test fit on my 08 SpecB.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found 1 other buyer in the sellers feedback who bought the same thing. He paid $75 plus shipping and was happy with quality.

I guess if they are not cracked already I could wrap them and see what happens. Or maybe try and add a little extra over each weld and then wrap them. For $65 can it be that bad? If they show up cracked I know to flame the seller and let everyone here know. If they actually work...

Hey, at least it ships from the USA. I can't see flaming a guy for trying to make a living. He probably didn't make the part, lol.

I'm not expecting the world. But I have had good success with recent eBay parts like an X02 exhaust (rebranded by CXlighting).

Yeah, I figure it will crack. But lets look at the math;

$20.50x1.09775(tax)=$22.50

Shipping=$45

Total=$67.50

One REAL header=minimum $600.00, lets say $675.00 for ease.

So, if REAL header were to last 5 years thats $135 a year or $11.25 a month. If eBay JDM F-Spec goodness were to last 6 months thats $11.25 a month. So, if I buy 1 every 6 months for 5 years it only cost me my labor, lol. What a friggin DEAL! I'll have to show it to you rurouni_x, maybe you want one too.

Thanks did a search.

Seems they are a knock off. The Synic is a knock off and these are the same. Probably made by "Meng Header" in Thailand. If so, they are worth from $80- $180.00 (although Synic tries to charge a lot more). Seems welds are cracking on some, and possibility of flex section exploding into the turbo. Actually found an old FS thread on this forum. Member was selling for $170, never used. I might just take the header to the local muffler shop. Have them go over the welds (if needed) and cut out the flex pipe for some straight pipe. Either way, I'll check them out first. If I think its going to grenade into my turbo I will hack them up. If they look ok, I will give em a whirl. Like I said in the begining they were less than $70. Not expecting the world for $70. All I know is that for the price, I am not going to even spend 2 hours bending pipe for $70. So, to me its worth a shot. I will let everyone know. Good info though, glad I asked.

:munch:

You're gonna have to log all the time you drive for it to work. One persons month may be 3-4 times the actual driving time of anothers. What's your daily commute? Miles, city, climate? I'm going more specifically with somewhere between 170 and 180 hours...which for me would be between 2 and 3 months.

one of my buddies got a 4" catless DP and header off ebay for cheap. He was running an SZ55 and now a Dom4 (I think?). High compression with meth and a Hydra. He's had no issues with the exhaust parts after six months. He's not expecting them to last forever but decided not to spend $700 on another brand name manifold that also cracked. So didn't seem like a bad deal.

Holy Shiznatch Batman thats my header! Ha, ha I should buy more, lol.

My commute is long. I live in So Cal, so seasons are mild. I am willing to log hours of operation (I have a mounted 8" netbook and usb to tactrix in the car for exactly this purpose).

Lets take bets on hours before grenadeing, lol.

I'll shoot some pics as soon as it gets here.

Archived