LegacyGT.com

bogged down on the highway and died

was on the sprain today and all of a sudden the car started to bogg down, temp went up aswell and i as slowed down to pull over, the car died before i could even put it into neutral. coolant is fine so is the oil, tried starting it and the engine shook violently...im hoping its just the timing belt and that nothing else went with it...i got the car towed home but im not going to try to start it again in fear that i dont do anything to the valves or cams. If anyone has any idea on what it might be exactly, itd help before i got taking things apart..i like this car way too much to get rid of it just yet.

Video of the engine noise

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

arg .. well don't realy see timming belt jumping at cruse, could be water pump siezed and started burning the timming belt witch made it jump. did the check engine light come on ?

the intake cams are checked that they are in the correct place. if the timming is off it won't start ( ie won't let ignition or injection happen ). ( lol ask me how i know )

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

LOL..i could probably take a good guess. Ill take it apart this afternoon; ill have the time to anywho. No check engine light and nothing came up on the learning view either..bsides my engine knocking (still getting my tune sorted out). That does sound like a decent diagnosis though. Ill confirm this afternoon with pics to show aswell.

pull the oil pan off and you will probably see some carnage.

or just cut oil filter open ( in a way that it doesn't make filing .. ie not hacksaw but ither use a chissel and rip it open or summit had these large pipe cutters that are made to cut oil filters open.)

carnage from what? im starting to get a little anxious :x im assuming by getting the filter open, im checking for metal from...?

well when you cut your filter open .. you will see metal if there is something broken.

brass colored things from the bearings ..

aluminum particals pistons , cam bearings ( well the machined aluminum the cam rides on )

or what ever else.

No cel?

Nope, no cel

well when you cut your filter open .. you will see metal if there is something broken.

brass colored things from the bearings ..

aluminum particals pistons , cam bearings ( well the machined aluminum the cam rides on )

or what ever else.

...thats if something did happen right? or are you almost certain that it did? if thats so, this car is turning into a money/time pit i might not be able to handle -_- we shall see. if anything related to what you were mentioning did happen, would i be able to turn the cam gear by hand to check? i.e. any significant resistance i can assume that i have some valves bent.

i think he meant he didn't even have time to put it into neutral before it died

yea, thats what i meant

i dunno its kinda vague .. check oil level and start it up and let it idle for a bit .. see if it clears out .. could be jsut something stupid .. probably is

im hoping it is. il triple check this afternoon after work. i already have the radiator off so i may aswell keep going with checking the timing belt. i had more than enough oil the day before this happened so itd be odd for that to be the cause.

sooo the timing belt looks brand new, good tension on the belt (i took the covers off either side). So now im left wondering if this was a fluke of sorts (i doubt it). once i get things back together ill check it again and see if she starts...sooo confused

Ofcourse the rule of thumb with cars is while your in there you may aswell get it done, but if is the bearings, what chance is there that the crack and rods are bad aswell? i mean, short of deep scuffs. dosent sound like anything is extreemly warped. after watching a couple vids, seems like there have been worse cases out there.

Also..what are the chances that any of the metal from that grinding might have gotten into the oil for the turbo? After i had that issue, i dident drive it at all.

# 1 if your engine is making that noise at least 1 rod is f*** . and the crank is prob fed as well. it might be able to be turned. cost about 150$ with bearings.

the thing is in the oil filter there is a bypass so usually when your engine is cold and you start it most of the oil goes through this bypass and strait to your bearings in your crank rods head and turbo.

either way get a set of eagle rods. and you might have the crank turned. but this will add about 2 days to rebuild time. ( on my buckaru i can just change a rod with the engine in place pull the pan and 1 head take me about 1 hour to do! )

so you can either get a used engine for ~3500$ and swap it in. or have the engine rebuilt by a shop cost about 2 grand or more if you want to be sure the job is done right.

I can get the crank turned; i used to work at a machine shop; not to say that id do it myself (im sure id screw up), but my old boss would take care of me. i tried starting it cold, 2 times: once to hear it, and 2nd time to record it for the forum.

In regards to the swap, wouldent getting a used engine, present new issues that youd have id have no idea about, as opposed to rebuilding and weeding out any issues?

so you can either get a used engine for ~3500$ and swap it in. or have the engine rebuilt by a shop cost about 2 grand or more if you want to be sure the job is done right.

New EJ255 short block is less than $2k delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1423Q2el2649QQitemZ280553622985QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

If you're not going to mod it, may as well slap one of these in and call it a day.

Archived