LegacyGT.com

Bluetooth Audio Input -- Parrot Mk 6000

ron1

This post describes the installation of a Parrot Mk6000 Bluetooth kit in a 2006 Subaru Outback Station Wagon. The MK6000 was announced at the 2007 CES and its features include

• Audio streaming
  • Voice recognition
  • Telephony
  • Software updating

There is no auxiliary input in the 2006 Subaru factory-installed audio system. The MK6000 audio streaming feature caught my attention as a solution for transmitting quality audio from the media library on my car computer to the speakers installed in my 2006 Subaru without having to deal with the disadvantages of FM modulators or circuit modifications to the factory radio.

The Parrot Mk 6000 kit contains the following items:

• Blue Box
  • ISO harness
  • Microphone
  • Control Pad
  • User Guide

I am not an experienced installer. I purchased a QC Sub 1 wiring harness. This eliminated the need to cut, trim or solder any wires. The only tool required was a No. 2 Phillips screwdriver. An extended grab tool was used to dress the microphone wire behind the instrument cluster. A local automobile repair shop assisted with dressing the microphone wire behind the pillar trim. (With proper tools, this was not as difficult a task as it first appeared.) The control unit was installed in the ample space behind and below the radio.

The major steps in the installation included:

• Remove center console trim
  • Remove 6 screws holding radio assembly
  • Disconnect radio antenna lead to provide more accessibility
  • Remove large white connector (CN701 – 14 pin) from back of radio and plug into receptacle in QC Sub 1 Harness
  • Plug QC Sub 1 white connector into back of radio
  • Insert black connector from ISO Harness into Parrot Mk 6000 Blue Box
  • Insert 4 keyed connectors between the two harnesses
  • Swap fuse connector caps on the orange 12v battery wire and the red ignition wire, per written directions with QC Sub 1 kit. (The instructions further note that, unless the swap is made, you will not get the “Goodbye” message when shutting down the vehicle. I made the swap, but did not get the message. I verified the wiring with a voltmeter.)
  • Tape over bullet connector on yellow mute wire (not used with the QC Sub 1 harness). Bundle un-used wires.
  • Run control pad cable to Parrot Mk 6000 Blue Box. Insert plug. Select mounting position for control pad.
  • Install microphone. Run cable down Driver side pillar, behind instrument cluster to center console and plug into Parrot Mk 6000 Blue Box. Twist connector to lock position.
  • Reconnect radio antenna lead
  • Screw radio into place (6 screws)
  • Re-install trim

Upon powering up, the control pad LEDs flashed in the sequence described in the instructions and the radio resumed playing. Then the radio was momentarily muted and there was an announcement in a feminine voice, “Please pair device.” The radio resumed playing. (Station settings were lost during the installation and had to be reset.)

When powering down, the control pad LEDs flashed in the prescribed sequence, but there was no “Goodbye” message.

The next posts will show pictures and describe the Bluetooth pairing and configuration procedures between the car computer and the Mk6000.

1. The Parrot Mk 6000 kit consists of a blue control unit, control keypad, ISO wiring harness, double microphone, and a User Guide (not shown).

2. The QC Sub 1 harness eliminates the need to cut, trim or solder wires.

3. The combined ISO harness (lower) and the QC Sub 1 harness (upper).

4. The microphone wire (black wire shown with yellow label) is dressed inside the driver side pillar and across the instrument cluster to the control unit location in the center console.

5. The QC Sub 1 harness instructions direct the swap of the red and orange wire fuse connector tops.

6. Control pad installation

7. Microphone installation

200702071806_3685.thumb.jpg.eace44d61778d6b1854db8fcb33bfe52.jpg

200702121519_3700.JPG.eebe149ce4b4d421defb86bbc88c40ca.JPG

200702121642_3705.thumb.jpg.31506cba8c1139ed5195396c1f7539f4.jpg

200702121817_3707.thumb.jpg.82daa8341171dd96f3c4bb5476294bdc.jpg

200702121625_3703.thumb.jpg.530fd6943b6e58be2d2e99268aa1471b.jpg

200702131355_3712.thumb.jpg.f1d0ad2ca84f4682adf765a20c791607.jpg

200702131728_3721.thumb.jpg.bfaa2ff7ac28b0aafc8256ded337b382.jpg

200702131727_3718.thumb.jpg.27f0a410a6651e2310243b90de943e61.jpg

This post describes the pairing procedure for the Parrot MK6000.

The MK6000 is very versatile. It will pair with up to five Bluetooth-equipped devices, including

• Car Computer
  • PDA
  • Mobile Phone
  • iPod
  • etc

Streaming audio allows each of these devices, or “sources”, to move content to a “sink”, in this case, the MK6000, which can then move the media through the car audio system An auxiliary input, which is missing from many factory-installed car audio systems, such as the 2006 Subaru Outback, is not required.

Bluetooth capability may be added to a car computer through the addition of a Bluetooth dongle inserted in a USB port. It is a critical requirement that the dongle support the profiles supported by the MK6000:

• HSP 1.1 Headset Profile
  • HFP 1.0 & 1.5 Hands-free Profile
  • A2DP Advanced Audio Distribution
  • AVRCP Audio Video Remote Control
  • OPP Object Pust Profile
  • SPP Serial Port Profile
  • PBAP Phone Book Access Profile

I have been able to get some limited results with Bluetooth dongles that did not support all of the above profiles, but I could not achieve reliable, repeatable results with a device that did not include all of the above profiles. The purchaser of one of these dongles is advised to carefully research the article to insure that the device provides the necessary profiles. Some packaging does not contain any useful information and one must go to the manufacturer’s web site for help. Even then, there may be conflicts between package labels and tech support.

I inserted the dongle in a powered-USB hub located in the center console pocket on my 2006 Outback wagon. See Photo 1. I prefer this arrangement because a quick inspection of the LEDs provides information about the system which would not be readily available if the devices were directly attached to the car computer in a trunk installation.

Before a Bluetooth-equipped device can be used with the MK6000, the device and the MK6000 must be “paired”. This is a simple operation and is well-described in the User Guide. The steps include

• Search for Bluetooth peripherals.
  • Select MK6000
  • Enter 0000 when prompted
  • Mk6000 announces, “pairing successful”. Sounds beep.
  • Blue Play/Pause LED on control pad lights up when connection is active. (Photo 3 [3744]

I was almost immediately successful in playing a selection from the music library installed on my car computer through my car audio system. I say “almost” because I found the manipulation of the MK6000 control pad somewhat confusing initially and, in truth, it took me the good part of a week to achieve occasionally reliable results. I have still not mastered the device.

The bottom line is that the MK6000 does an adequate job of moving a quality audio stream from a car computer to an automobile speaker system. It is a bear to configure.

200702141159_3729.JPG.123a676ee7aa0e403b86a28e495614cd.JPG

200702141213_3738.JPG.eea538bfd20a2a4c599b2b91ba29fd00.JPG

200702141227_3744.JPG.8d7334d035d16d1aa856e42454fc6e93.JPG

This post describes the configuration of the Parrot MK6000 for use as input to a 2006 Subaru factory-installed audio system, which does not contain an auxiliary input jack.

I am still working on trying to better understand this process in order to achieve consistently reliable and repeatable results.

This configuration process used the following software

• Windows XP with latest updates
  • Widcom Driver Ver 4.0.1.2900
  • Windows Media Player 9

The hardware, in addition to the Parrot MK6000, included a Targus Model ACB10US USB Bluetooth 2.0 adapter, aka dongle. This adapter has a range of up to 33 feet.

Bluetooth Configuration: The Bluetooth driver, ver. 4.0.1.2900, was installed and allowed the configuration of the system, to include

• Computer name and type (desktop / laptop)
  • Device Name
  • Device Type
  • Security Level
  • Default Passkey (initially 0000)
  • Data Encryption
  • Automatic Connection
  • Services (each service allows appropriate configuration, such as automatic startup)
    • Bluetooth Serial Port
    • Network Access
    • Dial-up Networking
    • PIM Item Transfer
    • File Transfer
    • Fax
    • PIM Synchronization
    • Headset
    • Audio Gateway
    • Bluetooth Imaging

[*]Device Selection

[*]Device Pairing

Following installation of the driver, it was necessary to configure Windows XP. I have attempted to indicate where configuration changes are made, and the results obtained.

Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices / Properties

• Audio / Default device = Bluetooth High Quality Audio
  • Audio / Sound recording = Bluetooth High Quality Audio

My Bluetooth Places / Entire Bluetooth Neighborhood

Parrot MK6000v1.00a Audio Device [connected]

A Bluetooth High Quality Audio connection has been created

“The next time you open a media player, audio output will be sent to Bluetooth device “Parrot MK6000v1.00a’. Attempting other Bluetooth activities, such as searching for devices or creating other Bluetooth connections, while this audio connection is active may result in degraded audio performance.”

Parrot MK6000v1.00a Properties / Authorization

This screen is accessible because this computer has a paired relationship with the selected remote device

When the remote device attempts to use a service on this computer, a prompt may appear on this computer to request authorization.

To skip the prompt and automatically authorize this remote device to use a service on this computer, check the box next to that service in the list below.

• Bluetooth Serial Port
  • Network Access
  • Dial-up Networking
  • PIM Item Transfer
  • File Transfer
  • Fax
  • PIM Synchronization
  • Headset
  • Audio Gateway
  • Bluetooth Imaging

Media Players

It is necessary to configure the media player so that audio is directed to the USB Bluetooth adapter which then sends the audio stream on to the MK6000.

For example,

Windows Media Player / Tools / Devices / Speakers / Properties

DirectSound: Bluetooth High Quality Audio

File / Open / [playlist]

[At this point, the MK6000 control pad becomes active (i.e. 3 blue LED indicators illuminated – reverse, play/pause, forward – in addition to the red and green indicators.) I observed that these 3 controls always affected the media player, as they should. For example, the play/pause LED, when touched, would toggle the media player on and off. But, although the controls always worked, I was not always able to hear the audio stream on the car audio system. When the system is working, one can hear the audio stream regardless of whether the car audio is turned on, or not. The volume is adjusted with the control pad knob. If the car audio system is running, all four speakers are muted by the MK6000, and the audio stream is played through the two front speakers.]

RoadRunner with DigitalFX Blue skin

I was able to move an audio stream from my car computer through the MK6000 to the car audio system once using RoadRunner. I have not been able to repeat the results.

It is apparent to me that I have still not mastered the techniques for operating this system reliably, despite conversations with Parrot and Targus technical support, much research, and much experimenting. The work continues.

• 9 months later...
Hi Ron1. I have a parrot Mk6000 which I use with my PDA phone as both handsfree phone and a 'ipod' via the BT stereo headset function. I also used the ISO adapter harness. My question is do you know which lead from the Parrot attaches to which pin on the Subaru head unit to enable the 'mute' function?

POCC, I do not believe that you need to make a connection to the Mute lead if you use the quick connect harness. In my post No. 1 above, there is mention of taping over the mute lead. I would not have done that unless it was in the quick connect instructions. As far as I can determine, my system mutes perfectly under all conditions--Stereo music from the computer, instructions from the GPS, Hands Free from my phone--using the connections outlined above. If you are having a problem, I would suggest that you call or e-mail the quick connect company. I found them to be very helpful. (I see that you are in Warwickshire. I enjoyed a visit to Warwickshire and the Castle a few years ago.) Let me know if you have any problem reaching them.

Ron

Edit: Opps, I see that you used the ISO harness. I used the Quick Connect harness. I really cannot answer your question regarding the ISO harness. As I recall (that was almost a year ago), I used the Quick Connect harness to avoid having to cut or solder any wires. The Quick Connect harness made it easy.

• 1 month later...
sorry for digging up an older thread but figured it better than starting a new one. I was considering a parrot ck3000 integration kit and was wondering if this would mute an ipod w/the jazzy board or if I would be better of getting this kit and a bluetooth adapter for my ipod. thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

I hate installing those!

Without a aftermarket forward and reverse harness its a pain in the ass... otherwise... cake!

The directions could be a bit more helpful. They are very plain and not descriptive at all.

Function wise they are wonderful.

okay just did my research, seems easy enough. My question would be: does this interfere with the stock audio functions at all? Not like I'll need the CDs anymore ;) but what about the radio?

I'm really close on pulling the trigger on a mk6000 or 6100. I have been needing this for a long time!

The MK 6000 does not interfere with stock audio functions in any way. When paired with a device, such as an MP3 player, a cell phone, or a computer, the MK 6000 will mute any audio to the speakers coming from the radio or CD player. So, for example, if you are listening to CDs from your CD player and a telephone call comes in, you tap the green button. the CD audio will be muted, and the telephone call is piped through your speakers. (But the CD will continue to play. It's best to stop the CD so you don't miss anything while taking the call.) You talk on the phone through the "stereo" mike that comes with the MK6000 kit. You don't need to touch the telephone. The MK 6000 allows you to make calls without touching the phone ("hands free") if the phone supports the appropriate profiles, such as

The MK 6000 does not interfere with stock audio functions in any way. When paired with a device, such as an MP3 player, a cell phone, or a computer, the MK 6000 will mute any audio to the speakers coming from the radio or CD player. So, for example, if you are listening to CDs from your CD player and a telephone call comes in, you tap the green button. the CD audio will be muted, and the telephone call is piped through your speakers. (But the CD will continue to play. It's best to stop the CD so you don't miss anything while taking the call.) You talk on the phone through the "stereo" mike that comes with the MK6000 kit. You don't need to touch the telephone. The MK 6000 allows you to make calls without touching the phone ("hands free") if the phone supports the appropriate profiles, such as

The only thing I disliked was having to cut the speaker wires, I never like to cut factory wiring unless I absolutely have too.

• 2 weeks later...
I know this, but I work in a shop, if we dont have it in stock, and no other shop in town has it in stock. We have no choice but to get the job done. We avoid cutting factory wiring at all costs.

Ahhh, gotcha. ;)

lookslikeanevo - Yes, this mates to the stock stereo. The quickconnect harness simply goes between the stereo, the parrot control unit (which fits just fine in the space behind the stereo) and the factory wiring. The definition of plug and play! :lol:;)

Cheers!

-Ian

Archived