LegacyGT.com

blown speaker.. doh

petes99

hey guys,

my (05 LGT limited) passenger side rear speaker blew out last night - for no apparent reason! well i was playing some tunes kinda loud but really nothing crazy. but it was noticeable immediately.. splatty, fuzzy noise. bummer..

what's the best way to replace this? i'm out of warranty.. but figure i can handle speaker replacement pretty easily. just not sure what to replace with and how to even get into the door. any help is most welcomed! thanks guys!

p

Time to move the front ones to the back doors and upgrade your fronts :)

2nd, take it as a sign to upgrade. unless u find one here used it will probably be cheaper to buy aftermarket and sound a lot better

I love memphis speakers. I have M class components to go in my car this spring

and if your doing aftermarket can do front set or rear set but dont do just one with an aftermarket. But if you cant find a used stocker stock replacements tend to be more money then aftermarket...

you are limited on depth..I think 2 inches...you'll have to use spacers if you go deeper.

I listened to a few in stores and went with infinity reference 6022si's and 60022i's

either will fit.

if you want some let me know what you find for price...I might be able to beat it. (%

you will want to run an amp, so then you are talking needed a cleansweep 360 etc signal processor or locs

they sound like poopoo withought an amp

you are limited on depth..I think 2 inches...you'll have to use spacers if you go deeper.

I listened to a few in stores and went with infinity reference 6022si's and 60022i's

either will fit.

if you want some let me know what you find for price...I might be able to beat it. (%

you will want to run an amp, so then you are talking needed a cleansweep 360 etc signal processor or locs

they sound like poopoo withought an amp

100% correct

i have 4 of those infinitys and they went in with (almost) no modification

the doors were seamless but my rear deck needed some cutting. beyond that, the speakers came with all necessary hardware

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

100% correct

i have 4 of those infinitys and they went in with (almost) no modification

the doors were seamless but my rear deck needed some cutting. beyond that, the speakers came with all necessary hardware

you put in the infins. with ALMOST no prob? are we talking gasket here or drillign new holes in HOPEFULLY supplied brackets? i just purchased the inifin 6020cs for the front and want the 6022is for the rear. got em off ebay for a good deal, but im worried about the lack of mounting hardware. ca n you give me some more detail into what you mean by ALMOST no problems. my Pan T's are moist until i get these babies in and can run em up. BTW, looking at an alpine 9886 head or the pioneer avic d3 (has it all0 to run it. then have two v12 amps, 1-4 ch and 1 mono for sub. ok, enough of my chatter. lay it on me. i HOPEFULLY should have the infinity's any day now.:spin: (and whats this clean sweep i keep reading about?) is that if i want to keep my stock head? a nOob(on this board) looking for direction!

you put in the infins. with ALMOST no prob? are we talking gasket here or drillign new holes in HOPEFULLY supplied brackets? i just purchased the inifin 6020cs for the front and want the 6022is for the rear. got em off ebay for a good deal, but im worried about the lack of mounting hardware. ca n you give me some more detail into what you mean by ALMOST no problems. my Pan T's are moist until i get these babies in and can run em up. BTW, looking at an alpine 9886 head or the pioneer avic d3 (has it all0 to run it. then have two v12 amps, 1-4 ch and 1 mono for sub. ok, enough of my chatter. lay it on me. i HOPEFULLY should have the infinity's any day now.:spin: (and whats this clean sweep i keep reading about?) is that if i want to keep my stock head? a nOob(on this board) looking for direction!

it LOOKED as though the 2ways wouldnt quite fit under the deck (my stock location[although i never tried]) so I went ahead and cut some fairly accurate circles into the deck (swiss-cheese type plywood) and dropped the speakers into the holes (holes are slightly smaller then the outside edge of the speaker so accuracy isnt paramount). Theres a gap between my deck and the stock metal mounts so drilling down into them was'nt happenin.

the hardware sack that came with the speakers included these little clips that you put on the opposite side of the deck from the speaker and screw into (thoruhg the deck)

the clip tightens up and appleis pressure. i used the old foam packaging to reenforce the deck but running the system without that showed no sagging or rattling of the deck.

the doors went right in. 4 screws from the speaker into the included metal ring, 3 screws form that ring into the car (install in reverse)

id be happy to take pictures when i get home. maybe ill do a writeup....

short version: very minor handiwork required for the deck (if yours have the built in tweeters anyway) and the doors are simple.

i spent more time thinking about modding the deck then i did cutting (i used an abrasive wheel on a dremel, freehand)

my alpine deck, wirespliced subaru harness and all 4 speakers took 2 weekend days (due to driving snow and a garage of ~10 degrees F)

alrighty

looking at the speakers you got...

i used the 6022i s all the way around and being unfamiliar with your rear deck, i duno how those locations are. it could be that anything can fit back there but going on the assumption that those component woofers have the funky magnet (i.e. small), everything will be seamless and the starfish brackets (without any spacers) will screw right in.

what's your plan for the front? tweeters in the door sail or the kicker panels? where to put those big ol' crossovers?

good luck + enjoy!

mine went right in. I picked up some metal screws and drilled new holes in the doors. Didn't actually use any of the mounting hardware supplied.... the screws they gave were crap...

I went with the 6022 versions because of the built in adjustable tweets and just disabled the factory tweeters. I don't like high's that close to me..

+1 for the good deal on ebay...I got mine for nearly 75% off what they cost retail and they were brand new!

Archived