LegacyGT.com

BK Bike Rack Question...

christieinspace

Not sure if I should have put this in the older Legacy thread, but I figure it's more relevant to exterior than anything else. I wanted to see if any of you guys had any roof rack set-ups to recommend. I'm moving in the wag ('99 L) from Jersey to TN in a month, and the bike must go on the roof! The only thing is, I can't afford a full base rack right now, so I was looking to use the factory rack (either with Yakima Mighty Mounts, Thule Factory Adapter, or Rocky Mounts/SportRack other such direct to factory racks).

I'm looking for the magic combination that will allow me to a) use my factory rack, b) preferably get an upright bike rack, and c) still use my hatch!!! :icon_chee

I see a bunch of people with preza wagons use Mighty Mounts then one of the upright racks, but mount it backwards in order to keep use of the hatch.. and I'd rather not do that. I'd feel safer having it facing forwards. Trips after the move would be fine, but I'm somewhat nervous about having my bike be less stable than it should for 860 miles of interstate driving. The Thule racks seem to mount with the least of an overhang in the rear, even though the factory adapters aren't the most attractive things in the world, but I would definitely go for it if that was the set-up that would best accommodate what I am looking for.

I asked this over on NASIOC too, but I figured mebbe someone over here could help me out.

Any suggestions?

Christie

Archived