LegacyGT.com

What the best wax to use?

I have a brand new LGT (305 miles)and did not want to pay the extra $500 for paint protection at the dealer (which I think is a BS gimmick)? I am planning on giving my car a wash\wax this weekend and wanted to make the decision for long term protection. Any suggestions will help, I have seen a soap thread but nothing on waxes? Holla!
Infamous Tuned

Here's my opinions on what works with my color (I have garnet red pearl):

Ultimate durability (4+ months) -Collinite's 476 paste or the 845 Insulator Wax liquid

Great durability (2 months) that makes your metal flake really pop - Finish Kare Pink Wax. This one is my personal favorite.

As far as waxes that are normally available at the Targets and WalMarts of the world.....I don't have any experience with them.

If you're looking to buy a wax that is locally available at a store, search for the Collinite. The 845 Insulator wax seems to be the one I most frequently see in auto parts stores. Boat stores are another place to check.

Check out

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php?

and you can learn more about detailing and detailing products than you ever dreamed possible. Be careful though.....it can become an addiction.

If your looking for long term protection choose a sealant/sythetic wax, wolfgangs is good, klasse sealant glaze is also good(but a PITA to remove).

For bling go with p21s or s100(same thing most likely). I haven't used all the stuff from detailersparadise.com, but its good and some people swear by it.

As you've probably figured by the responses wax is like engine oil, everybody has an opinion. Waxes have different looks, application and durability. You need to find out what works for you, your environment and your paint, all in your eyes!

One thing is true and that is you MUST prep the paint to get the best possible result. Wash the car with a quality soap then clay it, wash again and dry, then polish. Depending on the level of correction you can polish with a machine to remove swirl marks spider web scratches or use a cleaner wax to remove little imperfections by hand. Then you can pick a wax or sealant and go for it :)

What are you looking for in a wax? This will help you pick one.

As you've probably figured by the responses wax is like engine oil, everybody has an opinion. Waxes have different looks, application and durability. You need to find out what works for you, your environment and your paint, all in your eyes!

One thing is true and that is you MUST prep the paint to get the best possible result. Wash the car with Original Green Dawn or a quality soap then clay it, wash again and dry, then polish. Depending on the level of correction you can polish with a machine to remove swirl marks spider web scratches or use a cleaner wax to remove little imperfections by hand. Then you can pick a wax or sealant and go for it :)

What are you looking for in a wax? This will help you pick one.

I live in LA so weather is not to much of an issue a little acid rain a little sun, I want to make sure the wax\sealer has some type of UV protection and I just want to protect the paint.

I think I am gonna get the collinite as it seams most of the other threads seem to have a good opinion of, however I looked at several stores and could not find it? I will just go online and order it. Thankks for the suggestions!

Infamous Tuned

Zymol

Zymol isn't a wax. It is a brand. It is like someone asking which city is the best to live in and you answer "California". Zymol isn't necessarily the best wax anyway. It just happens to be the most expensive. I've tested dozens of waxes and compared many of them to Zymol Vintage ($1500 per jar) and I'm pretty disappointed. I didn't expect a $15 jar of S100 to outperform a $1500 wax in every category.

Anyway, as far as waxes go I'd have to say that S100 ranks pretty high up there for me. Pinnacle Souveran is really good too. Pinnacle Signature is sort of the poor man's Souveran and it is really nice. If you want really great looks and protection then you really should explore the world of synthetics. Those are some impressive products.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 3 months later...
It is really good. Zaino is a very durable sealant that most people really enjoy. I used to carry it until people stopped requesting it. I honestly haven't had a customer request Zaino for three years. It is popular to people who use it a lot, but those aren't typically the people who hire detailers. ;) I've found that Meguiar's NXT gives a look that is similar to Zaino without being as expensive. NXT isn't as durable though, so Zaino is still the better product.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Been using S100 as of late.

Not much of a fan of the Klasse products for the $$

For the money it's hard to beat NXT esp. if you use the car wash & quick detailer on a daily basis.

Ice is not bad & I use that quite a bit in the engine bay. Also on black painted surfaces or window trim:):)

As far as car wash goes....very hard to beat ICE wash for the money, you can spend twice as much for a product 1/2 as good.

BTW.....

For a ultimate lasting finish look into a water treatment system. It truly makes a world of a difference;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Welcome,

please search. There are eleventy billion threads on this.

However, just use Wolfgang's ;)

you're seriously ******* me up with that avatar... I keep reading your posts thinking they are mine:mad:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Archived