LegacyGT.com

Best place to buy Spec B Pink springs?

pdw

I placed an order from a certain vendor 6 weeks ago and I've been waiting, checking in occasionally, etc. Now it appears the order is lost and I want to install my GT Bilsteins. If I place the order again, I have to wait a minimum of 4 more weeks. I'm sick of waiting and I'm sick of the crappy stock struts (I want to do the install once).

Anyone know another source for these springs? Should I go with wagon specific Ions? I really want to retain most of the stock ride height.

Alternatively, the Bilsteins came with JDM GT Rev A springs. I've thought of installing those as well as a set of Cusco sway bars. Had I gone with the Spec B springs, I was going to get a JDM GT RSB.

no problem. did you order spec b or gt pinks? which bilsteins do you have?

I ordered Spec B pinks for the A/T sedan to go with my Spec B Rev C bilsteins. awsome combo for my needs.

I have JDM GT Bilsteins so I went with the GT Pinks. What I've learned (or what has been told to me) is that GT pinks are a bit shorter and will therefore have less preload. The rates are the same but the preload makes the Spec B's a bit stiffer. If this is all true, JDM GT springs would have slightly more travel also but probably inconsequential.

I'm kind of glad in retrospect because the original vendor was pushing the Spec B pinks. It sounds like a JDM Spec B setup would be a bit much for me.

Yeah, we must have ordered them around the same time - I think mine were ordered on Wednesday.

They do have great feedback. I emailed them and asked if they had the springs in stock or not and they confirmed that they were in their warehouse. I was told that if I placed the order I'd have the springs within 7 days....

I am just impatient. I want to get my pinks and my SPT exhaust installed that the same time. NOW! ;)

Haha, yeah, I totally feel you on that simon. They were a great price, but ridiculous on shipping, you figure they would ship it out faster. I guess that's how they are recouping their profits. I will let you know when I receive them. I figure Im gonna have an install fest next weekend.

I have JDM GT Bilsteins so I went with the GT Pinks. What I've learned (or what has been told to me) is that GT pinks are a bit shorter and will therefore have less preload. The rates are the same but the preload makes the Spec B's a bit stiffer. If this is all true, JDM GT springs would have slightly more travel also but probably inconsequential.

If both springs have the same rates (same amount of compression for the same weight), then they will both compress the same amount when installed. The shorter spring will of course have a lower ride height than the longer spring, but both will be equally stiff because the rates are the same.

So, what you were told doesn't quite make sense to me. Perhaps both springs are made of the same wire, which would lead to the shorter spring having a higher spring rate?

Either way, you'd be right about the JDM springs having more travel... longer spring, car sits higher, suspension has more room to compress before hitting the bump stops.

If both springs have the same rates (same amount of compression for the same weight), then they will both compress the same amount when installed. The shorter spring will of course have a lower ride height than the longer spring, but both will be equally stiff because the rates are the same.

So, what you were told doesn't quite make sense to me. Perhaps both springs are made of the same wire, which would lead to the shorter spring having a higher spring rate?

Either way, you'd be right about the JDM springs having more travel... longer spring, car sits higher, suspension has more room to compress before hitting the bump stops.

The rates are the same but the extra preload on the Spec B pinks would mean there would have to be enough load/movement to overcome the preload before the spring would move.

I assume in the real world this would lead to feeling smaller bumps more.

havent got them yet simon. they said it was busy for them last week. i ordered them on thurs. they seem legit, talked to the guy, and they have lots of positive response. ill let you know when i get them.

I ordered those also last week from the panda man. We'll see. I'm sticking them on an auto wagon. Maybe it will be a 1/4" lower at the most...3??lb/in spring rates in the rear. What is the weight difference of the wagon vs/ sedan?

Turbo2nr,

Just to update, those goons mistakenly sold these without actually having them in stock. I got my refund quick, not sure whats happening with Simon, hes asking for a refund too.

Maybe you will be lucky and actually get these. I know I bought the wagon springs for my sedan because I heard they sit better and are virtually the same spring rates. Not sure about the AT and MT difference though. All I know is that they are different parts.

Let us know if you get a shipping number.

Hold on, where does the extra preload come from? The springs have the same amount of weight on them in either case, so if the rates are the same, they compress the same amount...

Ok then explain why the two springs are different? The Spec B Pinks and GT Pinks do have the same rate according to everything I can find. However, the Spec B Pinks are longer? Why and what effect will that have?

My understanding has always been that a longer spring with the same diameter/strength of wire will have a lower spring rate than one that's shorter. Given that, why would Subaru design softer springs for the Spec B vs. the GT?

What I was getting at (and I should have been more clear) is that preload is poorly defined. If defined as "tension on the spring before the spring is installed" (as coilover makers use the term) then once the car is resting on the springs it only affects ride height. If defined as "tension on the springs when the car is at rest" then it isn't actually adjustable, because that's determined by the car's weight.

There may be too many unknowns here to draw any conclusions; I could be guilty of jumping to an uwarranted conclusion or two as well:

Given the same wire, and different heights, the rate could still vary if the number of windings varies. If the two springs both have the same rate and one is long, you'd expect the longer one to yield a correspondingly taller ride height... Or if the longer spring is intended to go on a car with different spring perch placement or top hat designs, the ride height could vary in ways that you wouldn't expect from looking at the spring properties alone.

Given the same wire, and different heights, the rate could still vary if the number of windings varies. If the two springs both have the same rate and one is long, you'd expect the longer one to yield a correspondingly taller ride height...

That's how I understand differences between different Pinks variations. Same rates, different lengths... but I might be wrong on this.

Turbo2nr,

Just to update, those goons mistakenly sold these without actually having them in stock. I got my refund quick, not sure whats happening with Simon, hes asking for a refund too.

Maybe you will be lucky and actually get these. I know I bought the wagon springs for my sedan because I heard they sit better and are virtually the same spring rates. Not sure about the AT and MT difference though. All I know is that they are different parts.

Let us know if you get a shipping number.

Why did you guys get your money back?? Now what are you going to do? You mean you can't wait a few extra days? I'm not that hard up for a spring. I can wait. It's very common for vendors not to have the parts. It's not Wal-Mart.

Why did you guys get your money back?? Now what are you going to do? You mean you can't wait a few extra days? I'm not that hard up for a spring. I can wait. It's very common for vendors not to have the parts. It's not Wal-Mart.

I appreciate your comments, but it isn't that simple. If you want the full story, PM me and I'll fill you in.

The cliff's notes boil down to:

1. Sent email before bidding to confirm that they had the item in stock (auction said "2 available").

2. Received confirmation that item was in stock and (were I to purchase it) would be at my door in 7 days.

3. Since purchasing (8 days ago), I have received almost no info from them. I have emailed and called multiple times with no results.

If it weren't for the fact that the seller claimed to have them in stock, I would never have purchased them on eBay. This had nothing to do with price, only availability, as I wanted to get them installed at the same time as some other parts for convenience (I won't be installing myself).

What I was getting at (and I should have been more clear) is that preload is poorly defined. If defined as "tension on the spring before the spring is installed" (as coilover makers use the term) then once the car is resting on the springs it only affects ride height. If defined as "tension on the springs when the car is at rest" then it isn't actually adjustable, because that's determined by the car's weight.

There may be too many unknowns here to draw any conclusions; I could be guilty of jumping to an uwarranted conclusion or two as well:

Given the same wire, and different heights, the rate could still vary if the number of windings varies. If the two springs both have the same rate and one is long, you'd expect the longer one to yield a correspondingly taller ride height... Or if the longer spring is intended to go on a car with different spring perch placement or top hat designs, the ride height could vary in ways that you wouldn't expect from looking at the spring properties alone.

This is an interesting discussion. What say you about this? First off, let me lay out my understanding/assumptions thus far:

- spring rate is determined by wire strength (determined by thickness/material)

- a spring that's longer (given no preload) will yield a taller ride height for a given weight of car but will also seem softer

- if I install a Spec B Pink on a JDM Bilstein strut (top hat on, strut net yet in car), it will be compressed more than the GT Pink because both will push the strut to the top of its travel but the Spec B Pink is longer. This is what I'm thinking preload is.

Given my last assumption/understanding, it seems the Spec B Pink on a JDM Bilstein strut will yield both a harsher ride and slightly less travel. It seems Subaru did this to make up for the slightly heavier Spec B Legacy.

Is this wrong?

Archived