LegacyGT.com

what is the best AWD system?

rsd220

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Audi has multiple different awd systems that they use. VWs uses the same systems as Audi since Audi is a division of VW.

Case in point.

A3, and TT use a Haldex system

A4,A5,A6,A8,Q5,S4,S5,S6,S8,RS4,RS6 use a torsen center differential and even different versions of that to allow a 40/60 torque split.

R8 uses a different system (I think a viscous coupler)

Q7's use a standard transfer case.

So saying Audi's Quattro system is vague

uses on dry or wet road

Take your pick then, because for all practical purposes for 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of drivers they all perform more or less equally well on dry or wet roads.

Of course... SUBARU:rolleyes: My 5eat is 45/55 torque split and 55/45 front/rear balanced

SUBARU FTW!!!:p

Subaru AWD makes the car corner fast and its safer and more traction to the best oem tires!!:rolleyes:

BTW that vid was done by Subaru so there might be some bias in it

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

This guy probably got into a pissing match with his buddies or on a forum and wants some fodder to use. If one awd system is simple, spartan yet efficient, and another is more effective but costs more to maintain, is more complex, which do you ultimately consider the best?

A good AWD system just works. If it doesn't work you may as well have a 2WD car, and some AWD systems are passive until there is slippage and they are often bad. Some Volvos do have them, at least the early AWD attempts from Volvo.

But it's not easy to figure out if it's good or bad until you have done a test drive in the condition you want to use it in. Personally I think that 3-4" of wet snow is a condition that can reveal if it's good or not.

453747.png

Besides awd means nothing if you've got garbage tires. Awd doesn't help you stop better in bad weather.

Haldex is the weakest of the awd systems. If it an awd on demand system that electronically controls how much power to send to the rear. Volvo used this system on S60Rs among other cars. Audi uses it on A3's and TT's currently. Most of the time the system is in a 90/10 split and basically a fwd car. the bonus of this system is fuel economy mainly cause you aren't sending power to all 4 wheels all the time.

And even the bonus of fuel economy is minor since the mechanics still is there and is moving and creating drag. So it's really a system that doesn't add much benefits.

I can agree on the tire issue, but we will have to assume that all systems runs the same tire type.

453747.png

I'll take a good ol' 4X4 truck anyday. Manual hubs or auto, doesn't matter.

"Ooops, looks like I got some wheelspin"..... *Throws the 4WD lever*..... "That's better"...

50/50 torque-split, traction there when you need it, no extra rotating mass when you don't. Simple, rugged, effective. Works even better with low range and a LSD's. With lockers you're just plain unstoppable.

Only disadvantage is that it requires more of the driver to be able to handle the extra gear levers. And manually engaged diff locks are even better than LSD:s for traction. However steering will suffer as soon as you do a complete lock.
453747.png

And manually engaged diff locks are even better than LSD:s for traction. However steering will suffer as soon as you do a complete lock.

That's why I said "With lockers you're just plain unstoppable." ;)

And if you've got a 4WD vehicle with a transfer case and locked diffs, something tells me handling isn't really a concern. All-terrain mobility maybe, but the slalom and a skidpad are the last places you want to be in a true 4X4.

Getting out of the vehicle to lock the hubs can be a pain in the ass, but that's why they have electronic hubs now. Too bad they tend to freeze up then you usually have to do a manual hub conversion anyway, but electronic hubs are nice while they last.

This system works great in my opinion... For trucks anyway. Why Dodge decided to use it in their AWD 300C, Magnum, and Charger layout is beyond me. Sure, they don't give the user control over the transfer case but its more or less the same principle. They have a transfer case with a center diff mounted onto the transmission, with a front driveshaft going to an offset front differential and CV shafts going to each wheel. The rotating driveshaft is so offset from the centerline of the car I couldn't even imagine how bad that would handle on a car that's supposed to be able to take a corner. Nevermind the extra U-Joints. When those cars get old I can only imagine how shaky and clunky the drivetrains are going to become. Could be worse I suppose. They could've used a variable camber setup like the old Ford "Twin Traction Beam." I wonder what Ford was thinking when they thought that one up... "Hmm, we want a 4WD setup that's less durable than a straight axle and handles worse than a true IFS, but it has to cost more to build than both of those. What are we going to do???....." The Ford TTB was born...

For cars it's a toss up between viscous couplers and torsens. Audi is or was the only car company to use a torsen for their awd system. Problem is if one wheel is in the air power is sent to that wheel. How ever with all the electronic add ons such as esp(electronic stability program), edl( electronic differential lock), and a few others to make up for it. The only thing the kills Audis with a torsen in the snow (I know I know their electronics) is ground clearance. This again can be skated around on certain cars with air ride suspension systems like the Allroad, 04< A8/A8L/S8, and optional on A6s.

Porsche and I think Subaru use a viscous coupler.

Archived