LegacyGT.com

banjo bolt removal question

newb alert guys. Be gentle.

I meant to remove the banjo bolt filter when I did my oil change the other day, but my scatterbrain forgot to do it. So my question is, can I do the removal without draining the oil? I'm sure that a little oil would come out, but with no oil being pumped, I wouldn't think my oil would be pooring out. :confused::confused::confused:

• 6 months later...
^^^actually I'm in the same boat as dmp, i wasn't positive I found the bolt. I did see what I thought was the hard oil-supply line on top of the turbo, but then when I look at the thread, it's not clear if that's the one. Definitely want to get this filter out. Does anyone have a very distinct picture of the actual banjo bolt in the line?

• 8 months later...
^^^actually I'm in the same boat as dmp, i wasn't positive I found the bolt. I did see what I thought was the hard oil-supply line on top of the turbo, but then when I look at the thread, it's not clear if that's the one. Definitely want to get this filter out. Does anyone have a very distinct picture of the actual banjo bolt in the line?

the one atop the turbo is not the one; the guy you're looking for threads into the back of the block itself, and is fairly close to the front of the up>turbo joint/turbo support bracket. a distinct pic would be rather tough with the turbo in place.

i wouldn't say difficulty of this is out of this world, but if you're going in, and don't happen to be in the midst of a turbo swap, space is pretty tight, and it will not be a very visual affair -- you kind of have to trust in what you feel with your hands and know about the parts to draw the picture.

my advice would be to study the walkthrough thread/pics well until you have a thorough and confident understanding of what you'll encounter before you get cracking.

best luck. (*edit even though i just realized your post is ancient :lol:*)

• 3 months later...
  • Mega Users
alright I got a question. I see some people clean this thing at 20k, some people clean it at 90k. I basically have a stock car, except for a few things. soooo I'm thinking around 100k miles ill check? i dont want to casually roast my motor and turbo
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Just installed the new turbo and noticed my banjo bolt is a 14mm on the turbo oil feed. I got to with a 3/8 extension with the14mm socket.

Why are you guy's talking about a 17mm stubby ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just installed the new turbo and noticed my banjo bolt is a 14mm on the turbo oil feed. I got to with a 3/8 extension with the14mm socket.

Why are you guy's talking about a 17mm stubby ?

Max you're right the 14mm oil feed bolt on the top of the turbo is not the one holding the screen. I took that one off first only to discover just that. The banjo bolt where the screen is housed is under that oil feed bolt facing the firewall.

Now it's all begining to make sense to me. After I had the P0011 and P0021 my mechanic pulled the filter out on the passenger side head that is shown in the picture the rao posted.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived