LegacyGT.com

Bad starter?

Whoa, I have the EXACT same thing going on in my Outback XT. I am going to be changing my clutch soon and I need to pull my starter to do so. I was thinking about hooking it up directly to the battery and test it out.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Can't view the video here at work, but you can either rebuild yours or replace it with a rebuilt unit.

They are easy to replace once the TMIC is off.

You can try greasing the shaft the gear slide on too. That may work for a while. Remember, winter time is coming...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
If I don't start mine for a few days and then go to start it, it cranks and then takes a second and fires up. Sounds odd

Why does that sound odd ?

I normally turn the key to on, let the gauges sweep (which gives the fuel pump time to prime) then start it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine was doing the same thing. I just took it off, then cleaned and greased the shaft the starter gear slides on. It has been working fine for the last 6 months.

So I am replacing my clutch right now and I am just about to take the starter off. Is this pretty straight forward, do I need to take apart the starter to do this? Also, what sort of grease did you use?

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I did not Take the starter apart, you can see the shaft in question when you remove the starter. I cleaned the shaft with brake cleaner then I used a light coat of wheel bearing grease on the shaft. Make sure to move the gear when cleaning, it spirals out and is returned by a spring. Again do not take the starter apart.

Again do not take the starter apart.

Wrongfully, I thought you needed to take it apart. I was about to buy a starter where the guy took an impact gun and loosened the two major bolts. When you say take it apart, do you mean, do not clean anything locked in place behind some metal screws?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info on the grease. Mine works great on warm-starts in cold weather so far...

I actually took the two long bolts out and partially separated the motor from the flange mount. I knocked some loose dust out and put the bolts back in to pull the motor into the mount piece.

FYI, don't forget to unplug the battery (derp.)

mines been acting up also , not engauging, or making that odd sound that they do like the starter gear is stuck... just ordered a new starter from autozone , its like 120 with your old one .plus i noticed its been starting slow ... like draging , batterys new and alt so .. since im hearing spin and odd noise,s when starting im just going to change it for a new one

yeah but thats only a temp fix... hate to be driving my daughter some where and the starter goes or i take a date to dinner and come out and no start.. and feel like a asshat lol lol

plus i noticed its been dragging when starting so thats not a good sign .. and i only have 52k miles

and mine sounds just like the op's.... now its getting worse takes like 4 trys then starts

• 3 weeks later...

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine's been doing the same GARRRDAMNNNN thing!!!!

I feel like I have been chasing my tail with it. Glad to know that I'm not the only one with the problem though.

I'll probably pull and clean it this weekend, I've been putting it off for too long.

Mine was doing exactly that for about a month until I went to get tuned and left without my car :( I thought it was my starter but when a compression test was done 2 of the cylinders were fine but the other 2 were 115/119. My car was driving COMPLETELY fine....no signs that my engine was on the verge of blowing.

Not saying this is your case at all, just recommending renting a compression tester from Autozone....why not?

Archived