LegacyGT.com

Bad Power Steering Pump

Hey whats up everybody? Just wanted to drop a note and let everyone know that a leak was discovered in my power steering pump today by my dealer. I just rolled over to 2k miles this weekend. When filling up last 3 days ago I noticed the fluid was low in the power steering pump (after driving about ~50 miles)--- the level was actually under the COLD MIN level so I knew something was up... I looked at this morn at the dealer and its leaking off the back of the pump onto the block. They are ordering a pump and are suposed to call me when it comes in. On a related note they said they were going to fill it up with fuid and said that "it should be fine to drive" in the meatime. I'm gonna keep my eyes on it but my issue is with their fluids, specifically what one they used. If you refer to the manual it says use ATF type 3 I believe for the power steeting and specifically NOT to mix different types of fluids. Well I saw a guy about to put fluid into the pump and I said "Hey what kind of fluid are using?" He says Power Steering fluid he looks over to his boss and says is this the right kind to use, the boss says ye thats fine. I see that the bottle says "Advanaced Auto brand Power Steering fluid" Ughhhhh!!!! Now maybe they were doing this b/c the pump is being replaced but I dont think thats actually the case. You go inot the parts dept and what sits on the shelf? A shiny white bottle of genuine subaru powersteering/atf fluid looks like they are one in the same. So anyways when the replace the pump I'm going to insist that they use Subaru fluid. Thanks Joe

If subaru makes a fluid for the car thats what they should put in it, and only that. Of course if you do it yourself you might find something that fits your needs better. I know when I did my coolant in the WRX I made sure I used Subaru coolant as it is designed for subaru's aluminum engines.

So I went to the dealer today because the fluid was even lower this morning (below cold min line) and I have to make a long trip this weekend. 1. They say they can find no leaks 2. I ask them why it's that low now, and can they top it off. They say no, they can't put any in it would "bubble up". uh-huh 3. We go on back and forth with this "bubble up" thing, and then finally the mechanic says "maybe there were air bubbles". Ok I can almost buy that, but they still say they can't put any in because it will bubble up. (Mind you the car is now HOT, and the fluid is slightly below the COLD MINIMUM line, when I got it it was full almost to the CAP!). 4. Finally he says that if I pay $12.95 he will put some in. I just say give me the fluid, don't need a mechanic to dump fluids for me. 5. I go to the parts window a few feet away, and they don't even HAVE the right fluid for my car. What the heck.... 6. I go to advanced auto parts and get some valvoline ATF Dextron III. Let's see what happens for the next few days. The car's two weeks old. This is b.s.. (Oh and btw I see a sign on their wall that says they may charge up to $100 for in warranty repairs!!!!!, eh. whaaaa?)

Thats complete BS....i couldn't agree with you more... As far as that $100 charge thing....nothing that can't be circumvented by talking with the manager / owner....NEVER be affraid to take things right to the top. They are usually the only people who understand that if someone gives a bad rap to the place it has potential to get around... No offense to anyone who works at a car dealer...but not all of them are the brightest apple on the tree. I got my inspection today...good thing i looked, the idiot who put the sticker on, put it on for the wrong month... It shouldn't be my responsibility to notice something like that before i pulled away...

DK, I also had a 'low' level of PSF. The car was 'hot' and the fluid level was at 'Cold Min.' So I went to the dealers' service dept. today, and was outta there in about 40 minutes. They checked that there were no leaks in the pump, and refilled the fluid. No hassles, no problems. Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. Hope it all works out for ya. i.

Having been warned by this thread, I went and checked my power steering fluid today. The engine was cold, and the level was below cold min (need to check it hot sometime). Thinking other things like this might also be screwed up, I went and checked every dip stick in the car. I found that the oil was above the hot max notch, and the transmission fluid was also above the hot max point even though the car was cold (yes I know about the problems with fluids wicking up the tube making this hard to read, but the level was very clear on both dip sticks). This may explain why I'm getting gas milage on the low end of what others are reporting. Apparantly the Indiana Subaru plant is a bit sloppy when it comes to fluids.

Hey guys, Sorry to hear that others are experiencing similar issues. I'm having my new PS Pump installed tomorrow afternoon. After having the fluid topped of last week, my fluid level has dropped to the Hot Min level when hot ;=). Im curious to know how many miles you other guys had when you discovered the problem? Peace

FWIW, mine was also below minimum. I topped off with Valvoline ATF as well. I'm guessing the assembly line simply filled the resevoir to the correct full mark, not taking into account that when the power steering pump gets primed for the first time (when engine cranks over) that part of the fluid in the reservoir goes to fully lubricating the pump. Oh well, at least we all caught the low level very early on.

PS Pump replaced yesterday at 2898K Miles. Everything seems cool so far. Took about 1.5 hrs, no sign of the dealer having used anything other than Subrau PS/ATF fluid in the repair. Then again, I wasn't out in the garage, which makes it kind of hard. At one point there were about 6 mechanics standing around the front of my car. Not sure if this was a good or bad sign. Also had the 3K service performed: oil change, lube, tire rotation, checked fluids n hoses n such. After leaving the dealer yesterday I noticed the movement of the gear selector is notably more smooth and takes less force.

[quote name='icehousewvu']After leaving the dealer yesterday I noticed the movement of the gear selector is notably more smooth and takes less force.[/quote] Did you have your MT/Transmission oil changed or topped off by the dealership?

They suppposedly checked it but didnt specifically mention having added any. They did add washer fluid which was noted in the invoice they gave me. So it sounds like if they did check it, it looked ok. I didnt have time to check my self yesterday I went to the gym came home ate and that was it. But I'll make it a point to check it today. That dip stick is gonna be a real pain to get to though.

• 4 months later...
I do most of the PDI's at work and have never had a Legacy with all the fluids at the correct level. For the power steering Ive never had one over 'COLD MIN', many arent even filled that high. I always fill them to the cold max before the test drive, I get back and it will be at cold min again. Then I top them off to hot max. It seems they are not bleeding the P/S system at the factory. 8 out of 10 are low on engine oil, taking from 1/2 to 1 quart of oil. Jim

[quote name='impostor']I do most of the PDI's at work and have never had a Legacy with all the fluids at the correct level. For the power steering Ive never had one over 'COLD MIN', many arent even filled that high. I always fill them to the cold max before the test drive, I get back and it will be at cold min again. Then I top them off to hot max. It seems they are not bleeding the P/S system at the factory. 8 out of 10 are low on engine oil, taking from 1/2 to 1 quart of oil. Jim[/QUOTE]I pay the dealer to perform the PDI. The PDI includes checking & adjusting my cars fluid levels. If Subaru is not bleeding the P/S system at the factory then the PDI must fix this problem. So, if a fluid level is incorrect after the PDI then it's the dealer's fault (excluding faulty part). I have been told that the PDI should include a 4-wheel alignment. In my area 2 out of 3 dealers perform the alignment with the PDI. Jim, should the PDI include a 4 wheel alignment???

• 2 months later...
Soldon, Sorry to hear that you are continuing to have trouble with your PS pump. To be honest I'm not so sure that mine isnt leaking again, the fluid level always appears to be somewhat low....I plan to check it out as soon as my car comes back from the body shop, which unfortunately looks like it wont be for atleast another couple of weeks (was involved in a hit and run whereby an 18 wheeler started to jackknife and his trailer swung out and smashed up my car)....Keep us posted. cheers

Archived