LegacyGT.com

Is this B pillar harness bar worth the install?

Hey All,

Cleaning out the garage tonight I stumbled upon my Rally Innovations harness bar, purchased in June of 2013. I wasn't really ready for it at the time and never got around to installing it. Over the past few years I've decided that racing belts/seat/cage is an all or nothing proposition for me. I've read nasty things about aftermarket belts not working well with stock seats in crashes and the prospect of losing airbags if I put in an aftermarket seat but not a cage, etc etc.

So now I have this harness bar sitting here. Is it worth putting in for any reason while I continue to run stock seats belts until I go whole hog on a full set up? Mainly, is this going to stiffen up the car at all by tying up the B-Pillars? Would it potentially be marginally better at keeping the car more intact in a crash? Or would it just spear me thru the back of my head :)

It ties into the stock seat belt mounts in the B pillar using the stock hardware so install should be pretty easy other than maybe some minor trimming of the trim piece covering the mount.

Worth putting in? No idea...

IMG_2984.thumb.JPG.d1246d6a62d9c505ede64e40f392046a.JPG

IMG_2985.thumb.JPG.af9c999763183d76f51e75137a2d2e9e.JPG

Good point :)

Contact Sgt.Gator. He has resources for getting things done at a good cost. He might be able to get you a 4 point cage for cheap.

I got quoted by Godspeed Welding in Auburn (builds most of the Pro3 cages) for 3500 to build a cage similar to Gator's. I had showed him the pics and asked if he could do the same. Blew my HG the next weekend. And realized I wasn't ready to race in Gator's league yet. :spin:

Shralp, harness bars are at best pointless, at worst dangerous and deadly. The OEM seatbelts- airbags are designed to work together. Don't change them until you are ready to go full scale cage- racing seat- harness.

And yes, I can get you a good price on a cam lock harness, but not on a cage.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Thanks guys. I do have a cam lock currently on my drivers seat belt and that helps tremendously. Just to be clear, I was suggesting the harness bar install but NOT using it with seat belts a la, "would this slightly stiffen up the car by tying the B Pillars together and/or maybe provide a bit more safey in a crash by doing so". Still a bad or pointless idea though yeah?

Forgot that Schroth does make belt systems that are designed to work safely with a stock set up until Boxkita mentioned it. These are known to be viable, safe set ups? I've got an email into them now to see what their thoughts are on either the Quick Fit system or possible Rallye4 system for my particular application. I don't need/want to use the rear seat belt receivers as part of the system since everything is gutted already anyway. I assume it will be something where I just use the stock bolt and rear locations and mount from there.

Just to be clear, I was suggesting the harness bar install but NOT using it with seat belts a la, "would this slightly stiffen up the car by tying the B Pillars together and/or maybe provide a bit more safely in a crash by doing so". Still a bad or pointless idea though yeah?

Those won't stiffen your car, not with those bent ends. They might break loose and spear thru your back or wrap around your neck though.

Welded cage or stay OEM. In the middle is the danger zone.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Archived