LegacyGT.com

AVO Panel Filter and Grille Intake Mod (long)...

Wraith

Well my AVO filter arrived on Saturday (thanks Paul...4 days from Japan is great!) so I decided to install it and test it with the few modifications I had made. First, I have removed the intake silencer (thanks Jedimaster) and I have covered the opening with some screening...don't want critters making it a home while I'm away on a trip :)

Second, a few weeks ago, extreme jealousy of Keefe's Pleasure Racing Grille :D caused me to hack out a grille air intake after spending some time measuring and exploring how the air gets to the intake. I had built it and installed it in about 45 mins., so I decided to make it a little more permanent while everything was apart. Simply put, I used some galvanized metal I had around from another project to make a ramp for the air. I modified the passenger's side of the grille to allow as much air as possible to make it to the intake just above the radiator. It is defiantly a hack, but it cost me nothing more than a few hours of testing and less than an hour of work.

For the AVO filter...it went in smooth and seals perfectly. The first thing you notice is that you can REALLY HEAR THE INTAKE when you get on it, the sound is unmistakably Subaru. At part throttle the sound is not intrusive and much more livable than I expected. Some people have mentioned a whooshing sound and it seems to be the BOV/diverter valve. I had a similar sound on my old Galant VR-4 w/ a K&N. The car seems to spool faster around town, but it is on the highway that the combo seems to really shine. The modified intake scoops more air as you go faster and the filter lets more through. A slight prod of the throttle at highway speeds is quite a rush.

Overall, all of this may not add any real horsepower, but it adds at least 20 mental HP :D

Brian

intake_1.jpg.fb27c86b55f67c7ca7d5c3b0f8519724.jpg

intake_2.jpg.705d5809bfc258a166fd82540ae47221.jpg

intake_3.jpg.a57fd9f7fb51fedff220a1f4327291ca.jpg

intake_4.jpg.d50f440b675dc69bd93c3e8276e71dca.jpg

Wraith, Nice Job. I made a smaller one using a cover flap from a video tape case and fastened it to the bottom two plastic brackets holding the grill on that side. Are you worried about water entering the air box while driving during a heavy rain?

Hey thanks for all the postive comments on my weekend hack job. AXIS...I will try to make a recording of what the intake sounds like w/ the AVO filter this weekend. LEGACYA...as for rain coming in...I have tried it for a couple of weeks with all the rain up here in NH w/out any problems. Brian

Archived