LegacyGT.com

AVO Inlet Hose...Initial Impressions!

edmundu

Just received the brand new AVO inlet hose:icon_surp:!

IT is everything Paul(Apexjapan) claims..... IT is BIG, has 6 layer's(thick), and is very stiff:icon_bigg ! I have held the Samco, as well as the Perrin inlets and while the PErrin was rather soft, and the Samco noticeably stiffer, this AVO takes the cake! IT trumps them both in Size as well as stiffness. It also has a decided upward tilt to it, that I didn't see on the other 2...which should allow it to fit a little better. And unlike the Samco, it didn't have the little jog to the left, near the turbo connection. This would have allowed for easier fitment around the TGV's, but perhaps it was omitted on purpose?

Now a hardpipe will allow a larger internal diameter & no chance of collapse, but having seen & heard of others, wrestle with trying to get it to fit, I shied away from the hardpipe option(Metal also soaks up alot of heat, whereas silicone not as much) . So this product seems to fill the performance gap between the silicone inlets & the hard pipes:).

It came with the fittings & hose as shown. It deletes the rearmost nipple(the unique fitting), so you'll need to tee it into the other hose. Just like the Perrin & Samco. Although, it looks like you're on your own to source the Tee. Also no instructions, shouldn't be too hard, but was worth noting. I will post up a install/performance review, once I put it on, just waiting on some other parts;) to get here!

SM_side0947.thumb.JPG.fc2898332fd5a8c394f934466e11e8f7.JPG

SM_top0948.thumb.JPG.3209f994f06ddd9ce69582c6c60f9aa1.JPG

SM_inlet0949.thumb.JPG.c3812db2751093851edb11602c9a4367.JPG

Looks tiny in relation to the post-its it is sitting on top of.

Since you've compared all three, why do the Samco, Perrin and AVO have the vacuum connections all placed in different parts of the inlet? Which one do you think has the best layout for the connections?

Also, was looking at pictures of the Samco, and it looked like the 90 degree bend into the turbo was sharper than the Perrin and AVO bends. Is that the case, or was I just looking at a bad camera angle?

IMHO the APS inlet pipe is the best option, but it does require removal of the intake manifold for installation. While that isn't a tough job, it also isn't for the mechanically faint of heart. The new AVO certainly looks like it will do the job nicely and with the bit of flex you get out of the silicone it should fit in with the intake manifold in place.

Looks tiny in relation to the post-its it is sitting on top of.

:lol::lol::lol:

Since you've compared all three, why do the Samco, Perrin and AVO have the vacuum connections all placed in different parts of the inlet? Which one do you think has the best layout for the connections?

Also, was looking at pictures of the Samco, and it looked like the 90 degree bend into the turbo was sharper than the Perrin and AVO bends. Is that the case, or was I just looking at a bad camera angle?

Don't know why they all choose different vacuum locating points:confused: Yes, the Samco did have that jog to the left to make it easier to slip onto the turbo inlet.

BoostJunkie - The hardpipe is arguably the best solution, but somehow the silicone seemed better to me. It has better insulative properties, and provided it is stiff enough to keep from collapsing, the only other performance it gives up is a smaller internal diameter. And since we are talking about having to go under the manifold, there really isn't any turbo that would truly suffer from the reduced inlet hose size difference between the hardpipe & silicone hoses...

APS here but the AVO looks 100X better than the other silicone hose options.

When I opened the box with the Perrin....I felt like my money was stolen:(:(

It was sold before it ever went on the car

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

We move the crank case breather to the front off the inlet pipe to slow up the vacuum sucking the oil in from the crank case breather it really makes a big difference when it is shifted from the front off the turbo.

Makes it a little quicker to install as well

Thanks Ross

• 8 years later...
I bought the inlet about 6months ago, was a nice 4 1/2 hr job. Only needed slight trimming. Looks nice attached to the cobb sf intake. Will be getting the avo tmic and the throttle body hose to go with here soon. Anyone know where to find an aftermarket charge pipe for the 2006 lgt? I haven't seen much on those, just know the stock one looks like it could use an upgrade.

Archived