LegacyGT.com

Auto Throttle...

I have a manual 07 2.5iSE. I down shift for breaking. I have noticed, since day one, that whenever I slow down below 2nd gear, clutch in all the way and now in 1st, the engine automatically revs the engine to about 2,000 to 2,500 RPMs. Its almost like it is anticipating me letting up on the clutch in 1st gear. I guess to prevent stauling...I always notice this when pulling into my driveway or into a parking space. Its really annoying. If i'm not careful I could shoot through the back of my garage. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have a manual 07 2.5iSE. I down shift for breaking. I have noticed, since day one, that whenever I slow down below 2nd gear, clutch in all the way and now in 1st, the engine automatically revs the engine to about 2,000 to 2,500 RPMs. Its almost like it is anticipating me letting up on the clutch in 1st gear. I guess to prevent stauling...I always notice this when pulling into my driveway or into a parking space. Its really annoying. If i'm not careful I could shoot through the back of my garage. Anyone else experiencing this?

Did you hear "Car Talk" yesterday on NPR? Someone asked about that on Subarus. They claim it is a "hill holding" program in the ECU for 1st timer manual drivers..fairly new, so not in the 1990s Subarus for sure...Some citys replay that show today. Check it.

Guy says it is annoying when trying to pull into garage , or slow down, etc...

Throttle acts odd, border-line dangerous.

Wow just wow.

1) i have no clue what you are talking about - this extra reving in anticipation of shifting etc.

2) Use your breakes...they are meant for slowing down your car. I would rather go thru a set of brake pads a year than think about my clutch and tranny every day. Rev match all you want; heck engine brake on snow and ice...but for all other times - the vast majority of times - use the brakes.

And me thinks that downshifting to 1st is a big no-no. I NEVER do it. It is either 2nd...or full stop.

The manual actually reccommends that you use the engine brake whenever possible to save your pads. :)

I guess in the long run it's more repair money for them.

:lol: ....

that's hilarious, my manual says to stop the car like fred flintstone from speeds over 65mph, to save my brake pads...:lol:

?? My MT doesn't rev match when DSing into 1st. And yes -there are times when you need too. I don't knwo about everyone here, but i roll through stop signs (iowa, there is never anyone on the other side) so I slow to 2mph, DS into 1st, and go.

Mine never rev matches or anything for me. it's 800RPM unitl i give it gas.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Nobody said it would automatically rev-match.

1st gear, foot on brake is trigger "hill hold" mode. You won't get into it without the brakes.

It's just to aid in newbies taking off on a hill with the manual tranny. You can trigger it falsely I guess?

Obviously, you need a fly-by-wire throttle body, so of course older models don't have this.

Just what I heard yesterday on the radio....Two MIT graduates who own a talk show about cars on NPR. They are seldom wrong about answers such as the one I heard. Could be model specific??

Here is another question....how many times have you stalled your maual LGT?? I bet very very few, or even never, right?

Here is another question....how many times have you stalled your maual LGT?? I bet very very few, or even never, right?

I've actually stalled it 3 or 4 times. And I've been driving manual transmissioned cars for 20 years now. lol.

And here's another +1 for not down shifting into 1st gear. Wait until you're stopped for that.

you downshift into 1st?

Like I said, I am in first with the clutch all the way in. At this point I have engine breaked as much as I can in 2nd and I am now using the brakes. I have a slight incline on my driveway so I am getting ready to gas up the driveway in first. As soon as I turn my wheel into the driveway the engine revs. Same thing happens while coasting into a parking space, using breaks and clutch all the way in.

Trust me I don't downshift into 1st. I think most people learn this mistake the first time they learn to drive a manual...

turbo2nr, you hit it on the head. this is exactly what I am experiencing.

I will play with it next time and see if the breaks are indeed tied to this phenomenon, which I tend to think it is.

Thanks

I've actually stalled it 3 or 4 times. And I've been driving manual transmissioned cars for 20 years now. lol.

And here's another +1 for not down shifting into 1st gear. Wait until you're stopped for that.

Well, I guess you were not using the brake when you stalled. What, you don't have three feet? Use your d1ckey.

subaru does not offer the "hill-assist" anymore, it did in the past, on cars that were not throttle-by-wire. i have no idea what this phenomenon you are experiencing is coming from, but you should take it up with your subaru service rep., as it sounds just plain dagerous!

ps- glad you are not trying to ds into first to engine brake :lol:

Just what I heard yesterday on the radio....Two MIT graduates who own a talk show about cars on NPR. They are seldom wrong about answers such as the one I heard. Could be model specific??

I listen to these guys frequently. They are quite entertaining and very certain of their answers. Unfortunately they are often very incorrect or lacking knowledge on newer vehicles with more computer controls. Their knowledge and experience on older cars is pretty amazing though.

IIRC, what you're experiencing is an anti-stall feature built into the ECU's programming. If the revs drop while you're moving, it will goose the throttle. My '05 does this - the first time it happened I was creeping forward in 1st in a right turn lane, and the ECU decided to goose the throttle. I almost rear ended the guy in front of me, and my foot wasn't even near the gas!

Not so much - I've learned to drive around it, and I'm sure you will as well.

-Ryan

Car is suddenly off load, off throttle and freewheeling. The revs drop low enough so the ECU senses a stall is coming. ECU gooses the throttle.

That's it. Nothing to to with any special features. It could be more subtle, but you will get used to it.

P.

Well, not aCCORDING to wht I heard on cartalk.

This guy was moving forward, not at a standstill. :icon_conf

I don't know??

not sure what cartalk is, but if you choose to listen to cartalk (not likely subaru owners), rather than subaru enthusiasts (i'm on my third), good luck...

Archived