LegacyGT.com

Aussie GT review

Model tested: Liberty 2.0 GT wagon RRP: $52,990 Price as tested: $57,990 (Premium Pack) Road tester: Mike Sinclair Date tested: 28 November -- 5 December, 2003 Distance covered: 550km BOTTOM LINE Performance flagship is much, much better than B4 With a variable valve-timed, turbocharged 2.0-litre boxer engine under its shapely hood, the GT is the performance and luxury flagship of the latest Liberty range. Available in sedan and wagon variants and two levels of trim (standard and luxury-loaded Premium pack) the GT replaces the close-but-no-cigar sedan-only Liberty B4. A direct descendant of the pocket-rocket Liberty RS Q-ship, it boasts all the traditional Subaru performance cars cues including trademark bonnet scoop. This functional feature (it feeds the intercooler) combines with a host of subtle changes to brightwork and stance to make the GT the most visually appealing car in the handsome Liberty range. We're particularly taken with the wagon, but the sedan's European lines also get high marks. Lower than the other Libertys thanks to suspension mods (Bilstein shock absorbers and stiffer springs are standard on GT, along with bigger brakes and quicker steering ratio) the GT looks the business. Stir the 180kW power-plant into action and the performance matches the look. Unlike the previous generation B4, the new GT asks far fewer compromises from its driver. The old car was known for its turbo lag -- that excruciating wait some forced induction cars have twixt driver giving it the boot and the car actually accelerating (and trust us, the B4 could be excruciating when you're on a favourite racer road or, indeed, just trying to overtake on a two-lane B-road). This was especially the case in the auto variant. While the new car isn't totally free of lag, it's substantially improved. A ground swell of torque makes for quick progress and sportscar-like acceleration right through the rev-range. The new GT is arguably more rewarding in its handling characteristics too. Snappier on turn-in, the latest GT seems less fussed over surface irregularities, and just a touch more 'tunable' on throttle. Unlike some all-wheel-drive platforms understeer is only a problem if you are ham-fisted, and there's just a hint of oversteer available when traction is less than perfect. This tunability is probably in part also thanks to the less laggy, and more torquey power delivery of the new mill. We briefly sampled a standard trim GT sedan and then stepped into a full-spec Premium Pack GT Wagon for our standard seven-day test period. At $57,990, the bells and whistles estate is not cheap, it is, however, well equipped and well finished. While the standard GT makes do with cloth, the Premium Pack gets wall-to-wall cow. Our GT wagon came with added goodies like full power-adjustable driver's seat, Momo wheel and the biggest sunroof this side of the Melbourne Tennis Centre. Seriously, the opening's about three feet long! Given equal billing to the leather, the PP's 13-speaker premium McIntosh audio package not only pumped out the tunes, but all delivered an added dose of class to the already handsome metal-look console and dash. The only faux-pas in our mind was the 'missing' navigation display at the dash top. Present on the launch models in Japan, Down Under we make do with a storage bin and trip computer read out. By the way, the same aircon question mark we had on the lesser Libertys also applys to the GT. Melbourne's pre-Xmas hot spell certainly had the cooling equipment working hard even onboard the climate-control equipped 2.5i and GT models. Yep, the GT's good but despite what we've written above, it is still the near-$16K cheaper 2.5i with its engaging engine soundtrack and sweet shifting five-speed manual box that gets our vote as the best of breed in the new Liberty range. Indeed, above all the manual shifter influenced our decision. You see, the turbocharged GT is only available in auto Down Under and while it might be a five-speeder (the auto non-turbo Libertys make do with four-speeds) with a manual mode with steering wheel-mounted fingertip gearchanging, the 'softening' effect of the auto make the package a slightless less satisfying drive. That said, we promise to reconsider our 2.5i bias when the six-speed manual GT arrives... *Editor's note: At the time of writing rumours abound that Subaru is readying a boatload of 'limited edition' six-speed manual Liberty GTs -- both sedan and wagon -- for Australia. No word on when, or how much. Check our newspages periodically and we'll let you know.

[quote name='EJ20H-TT']That said, we promise to reconsider our 2.5i bias when the six-speed manual GT arrives... *Editor's note: At the time of writing rumours abound that Subaru is readying a boatload of 'limited edition' six-speed manual Liberty GTs -- both sedan and wagon -- for Australia. No word on when, or how much. Check our newspages periodically and we'll let you know.[/quote] Now, if they are that geeked about the autobox GT... Oh, and don't let anybody over here see the six-speed stuff, or... :lol: Also, note their preference for the wagon's style. I agree wholeheartedly. It remains to be seen whether we get the same suspension differences over the base Leggy as they do (stiffer struts/springs, slightly lower stance). We do get the quick steering ratio, just like the JDM car, and the fancy-pants Momo steering wheel. So many questions.... Thanks for posting the review, as if it were possible to make me want this car any more than I already do. Kevin

Rather interesting read. I got to spend a bit of time in a late-model Passat this evening and I will have to say wow! It is a really nice car, love how I just got sucked into the drivers seat. The shifter also felt much better than the Subarus and it doesn't sit out like a radio antennae but it also felt really nice for the short distance I moved it. I'm not sure how the value compares, but if the Legacy comes close, it would definitely be a car to desire, as far as the interior goes. :D

Its VW's only strength. Everyone I know that has a Subaru is immensely loyal, but I haven't heard one good thing about VW ownership from dozens of people I know ranging from an old VW restorer to a foreign specialty mechanic. They're one of the only consistent cars I see on the side of the road and I don't know if I've seen any more than 6 months old that had all its lights working. My Legacy's lasted over 10 years. If they can't get such simple things right, what about the big stuff? I could go on and on about them... Subaru shouldn't have to worry. If Consumer Reports only listed important things like serviceability and real-life reliability almost no one would buy them (after all there were still some people who bought Yugos when they were out). Steve

I've heard all the same stories, I'm just mentioning how well the fit and finish is, I'm just hoping the new Legacy is close to that and they should have a buttload of sales! The durability of the cars is definitely a big zero for the VWs though and if you don't have problems, you're a minority. I was just comparing things from the interior end of things. I don't get out of my Subaru realm enough so its nice to have an outside perspective every now and then.

I hope I didn't sound like I was just going off... I agree the VWs do have great interiors. The materials they use and the build are better than Mercedes-Benzes costing much more (but they've gone down hill quality-wise since the old days). If the new Subaru were 3/4 as good they'd be all set. Steve

Heres another Aussie review i quote the bits of interest - They test 2.5i and 2.0GT "Put simply this is a wonderful car" They love the look - "feels and sounds expensive" "faster, cleaner, more economical and better value" Love the handling "drivers car" 5EAT ""is so impresive" ""the five speeder is very much like a porsche tiptronic in character" "holds gears right to the cut out" Reckons 2.5i is superb value "Liberty (Legacy) GT is quite possibly one of the best touring cars ever" "It makes every European rival look very rexpensive indeed" "truly one of the great cars of this era"

It's a fact that warranty is more a marketing tool than any statement about the quality of car you're buying, evidenced by the widely varying warranty offers in different markets. In Australia Subaru offer 3 years/unlimited kilometres on all their cars.

Archived