LegacyGT.com

Anyone use Stoptech brake pads?

For those of you who have installed Stoptech brake pads, what differences have you noticed compared with the stock pads? Is there any drawback with the Stoptech pads? My brake pads are wearing out soon and I am considering if upgrade is worth the money or not.

I don't autocross so I am just looking forward something that's slightly better than the stock pads, and that it doesn't squeak, has low dust, and friendly to rotors. :)

Currently I am leaning towards the posi quiet series pads.

I'm on my second set of Stoptech Street Performance pads. I switched to Stoptech when I started tracking my car (installed SS brake lines and switched to ATE Super Blue fluid at the same time). I got about 20k miles out of the first set which included 8 - 10 track days.

The Street Performance pads definitely throw off more dust than stock. They didn't squeak at all until they got near the end of their lifespan (under 4mm). Once under 4mm they started to squeak a bit under moderate braking.

The positives are that they stop the car much better than stock - good initial bite (without being too aggressive) and very linear stopping power throughout the pedal stroke. Also, I can get 5 - 7 good laps out of them (at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway) before they start to fade (on stock calipers). Stock pads were useless (and I could smell them burning) on the second lap. A full set of Street Performance pads in stock sizes runs about $120 on (edited out non-supporting site) so they are quite reasonably priced as well.

Hopefully this helps...

I have got Stoptech street performance brake pads installed on both front and rear in my 2010 leggy JDM version. I ordered mine from rallysportdirect.com. I can immediately felt the big difference, the stopping performance has significantly improved when compared with the OEM one. Although for the first few week I could see, there are definitely lot more dust on my rim, it tooks probably two months before the dust was reduced. I've been using them for more than a year and so far no squeaking and it is rotor friendly.

I switched from Hawk to StopTech on my old STi and I was very happy with the change. Plenty of cold stop bite, less noise then the hawks, dust was marginally better or the same.

I'd buy them again.

Now a separate but related question. Upgrade to SS brake lines costs about as much as the pads, if this is purely a daily drive, should I skip this upgrade? How much improvement will it have on braking?

For those who didn't like the Hawks, care to elaborate on what compound you were using? I've loved my Hawk HPS for autox and DD duty...

I used the HPS. They were noisy, lasted under 20k and were horrible when not warmed up. Then again I haven't found a brake pad I really liked yet. Hoping the stoptechs change my mind. I've just been using oem pads for the 3-4 sets.

For those who didn't like the Hawks, care to elaborate on what compound you were using? I've loved my Hawk HPS for autox and DD duty...

Like above, noise and initial bite of the HPS vs. the StopTech's were my biggest complaint.

Same when I ran them on the Slaaaaab :spin:

I have stoptechs coming along with my sti brembo calipers in a week or two. I will never use hawk again. I hated them

Can you please keep me/us posted on what you are doing with your brakes upgrade. I will most likely be following in your footsteps when my day comes.

Now a separate but related question. Upgrade to SS brake lines costs about as much as the pads, if this is purely a daily drive, should I skip this upgrade? How much improvement will it have on braking?

The benefit of SS lines are mainly felt under threshold braking situations - which are very rare on the street and very common at the track. For street use only, I'd skip the SS lines unless you drive like a maniac or deal with traffic that is prone to sudden stops (like the L.A. Freeways).

If you decide to track the car regularly, I'd say SS lines are mandatory because our stock brake lines are horrible to modulate in threshold situations.

Based on what I'm reading here it looks like Stoptechs for me when I redo the brakes this spring (too cold to work in the garage right now). Given my driving (all highway) I hope they last as long as the stockers (88K miles at the moment). The selling point for me is cold bite.

Just wish that Axxis sold Ultimates for these calipers. Had those on the '07 WRX and absolutely adored them.

• 3 years later...
So I went with Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads three years ago, they were as quiet and low dust as the OEM pads and offered more bites and less stopping distance. They are due for a change soon, wonder if there is anything better these days that's equally quiet and low dust but with better stopping performance?

I jave the stoptech slotted only rotors with hawk pads. So far they have been terrific. I drive my car hard, but I dont track it. So far no squeaks and great stopping power

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For a daily driver I'd shy away from SS lines. I've heard a few reports (various MFGs and make/models of cars) of lines breaking and in an emergency situation on the road can be catastrophic. On a race track it wouldn't be as bad.

Got back from the shop, was told the existing brake pads could last another 3 years (or 30,000 miles). Great stuff to know! Guess I didn't use much brake in the last 3 years. I did ask them to do a full bleed of the braking fluid, now the pedal feels MUCH better!

• 2 weeks later...
Switched to Stoptech's when I did my new front and rear rotors within the past couple months. If you are thinking about them as an aftermarket option, don't. Had Hawk HPS's for years and the bite was much better and they dusted a lot less. Figured I would try something different, definitely a mistake. Also the new Hawk Performance Street 5.0 compound is good as well, have experience with them on another car. I don't know if they make an application for these cars though.

Archived