LegacyGT.com

Anyone have EMS/Fire lights on their vehicle?

liljay794

Sup fella's. I am a volunteer EMT for a local ambulance squad, and I will also soon be a firefighter (just waiting for the doctor paper work to come back). And pretty soon, I'll need to light up my car :spin: My friend told me that there might be a problem installing police strobes in my headlights because I have HID's. Is that true? The fire chief drives an 08 Escalade and he couldn't put police strobes in his headlights because of the HID's. I'm guessing the Escalade HID setup is different than the LGT? Since the HID bulb is basically sealed, I don't really see a problem drilling a small hole into the headlight to put a strobe light in. I was guessing to put them in the high beam area so I'm away from the HID. Any idea if its safe?

Our cars don't have HID's stock. It's just a projector in there. It looks like HID's but it's not. It's a regular H7 bulb in there.

Yes, I am aware, but the thing is, I have aftermarket HID's. To clarify my question from before, is it safe to put police strobes in the high beam area and not affect the HID's at all?

The strobe pulse could potentially mess up the ballast of an HID light. But there's alot of what if's that have to line up just right.

the other shop that did your buddies caddy may have just said that cause they:

A) Didn't know any better

B) Didn't wnat to put them there cause it's too much work

C) They may actually have issues in close proximity with HIDs

D) They hate cops

E) All of the above

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

if you want to spend the little bit of extra money (and not too much really), whelen make a Vertex LED "hide-a-way" that fits into the original strobe head holes (about 1" diameter). They run 72$ a piece right now on www.lshlights.com you buy um individually but they can link together. Using an LED hide-a-way would eliminate any pulsation issues with HIDs considering they run next to no amperage and don't send out the pulse flash. Those new Vertex heads are pretty bright.

i want pics. i tend to do side of the highway work on cars and would love to light up my wagon with wig wags, strobes and amber flashers in the front visor area and top of the rear window. im thinking mounted to the body rather then the door so they still shine out if the liftgate is open

if your talking about pics of what i'm reffering to, go to the website. Down the right side of the main page there's links to videos of some of the cars they work on and the products used so you can see how well they work and get different ideas

I'm telling you the best you'll get not only with reflection off of the vehicle's lighing system but ease of installation is the highbeams, reverse light, and I like the idea of the mirrors as well. All of those locations will be easy to install and very effective in not only reflecting the flash off the lamps natural reflective design but in ease of installation and no worry about aftermarket lighting like HID's.

• 4 years later...
Sup fella's. I am a volunteer EMT for a local ambulance squad, and I will also soon be a firefighter (just waiting for the doctor paper work to come back). And pretty soon, I'll need to light up my car :spin: My friend told me that there might be a problem installing police strobes in my headlights because I have HID's. Is that true? The fire chief drives an 08 Escalade and he couldn't put police strobes in his headlights because of the HID's. I'm guessing the Escalade HID setup is different than the LGT? Since the HID bulb is basically sealed, I don't really see a problem drilling a small hole into the headlight to put a strobe light in. I was guessing to put them in the high beam area so I'm away from the HID. Any idea if its safe?

I'm playing with idea of adding strobes as an option to the TapTurn flasher I make. This would give you strobes on the flasher bulbs, when using the hazard switch. TapTurn has a wigwag mode for the hazards that you can use while driving... See the videos and thread of this discussion over here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/led-signal-flasher-built-tap-turn-triple-blink-convenience-187325p13.html

Archived