LegacyGT.com

Anyone garage their LGT for winter?

Hey guys, I was curious if I am the only nut who is garaging their Subaru for the winter time. I am picking up a winter beater (1988 Jeep Comanche for $600) to get around in the winter time. I 1) want to save my car from the road salt from the northeast 2) Not use it as a plow for the roads with how low it sits and 3) wanted a pickup anyway for construction and work I do around the house and 4) it will help to keep the miles down, so it was a win win. Since I am getting the truck I think I am going to tuck the LGT away for the winter, at least for the bad weather and just drive the truck. Anyone else garaging their AWD car? haha

Nope, from experience, my LGT handles much better in the snow/ice than my 4x4 Cherokee ever did. With as much driving as I do, it's better for me. I'm dropped and was paranoid all last winter about taking out the oil pan with a chunk of ice. A skid plate is on my short list of winter prep, alone with some all seasons on the stock wheels.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope' date=' from experience, my LGT handles much better in the snow/ice than my 4x4 Cherokee ever did. With as much driving as I do, it's better for me. I'm dropped and was paranoid all last winter about taking out the oil pan with a chunk of ice. A skid plate is on my short list of winter prep, alone with some all seasons on the stock wheels.[/quote']

I'd have to say I'm torn on that comparing my LGT to my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder I had. Definitely less of a chance of getting stuck with a 4x4 trukc in my opinion, and they hold the road better. The legacy liked to slide around a good bit, but it is super easy to control. I liked it a lot last year and had no problems, I just want to protect it from the salt and abuse of the winter. I hate the salt on the car, snow and salt all in the interior being tracked in by boots, no fun for a car I am OCD with!:spin:

Do I garage it? No. Do I have a worthy alternative? Yes. I have a very well built '99 Wrangler. More aftermarket probably than my LGT. I kinda take turns driving the two but drive the LGT 80% of the time. So I'm a fan of both Jeep and Subaru.

As pillboy and johnnygt pointed out, you are one helluva lot better off in the Subaru. Better differentials, much safer, lower COG, airbags, ABS. The only time I drive the Jeep in winter is if snow depth >6" is an issue or if it's just a lot of splash-back/gravel crap that's going to chip the paint.

Dude, give the LGT some winter time too. Your life is more important than a couple paint chips.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Guilty of nuttiness here! The thought of salty road spray on my suspension parts is too much to bear. I had the same issue with an 02 WRX. 00 Outback fitted with Blizzaks used to fill this role,that was a fun winter ride. Mazda CX9 on Blizzaks is what i use now.

Legacy spends most of winter in here...............................

IMG_4371_edited.jpg.7746e8f237a13fb50fe08f24412ac339.jpg

beautiful garage....:wub::wub:. i hope in the spring i can make my new space look like that. not that i have the option to drive anything else in the winter...but i wouldn't want to even if i did. I had a ford f-250 a few vehicles ago and the legacy is the better choice for snow accumulation less than 5-6". the 4 wheel drive was cumbersome on turns and what not.

• 2 weeks later...
like the OP, i am worried about rust as well. this is the one thing i hate about asian cars. i will have the car undercoated with rust prevention. a company called ziebart does this. it is by no means a guarantee that the car wont rust, but its the best thing you can do to prolong it from happening. that and frequent car washes should keep rust to a minimum over several years.

So some of you guys actually DRIVE your cars? :eek:

That sounds very risky.

LOL, I decided to just drive the legacy through the winter. I am OCD and will be washing it every other day anyway, and I could use to save the money. Like someone mentioned, I also didn't like the fact that the Jeep has no safety options whatsoever. God forbid something happened to a loved one in that thing I could never live with myself, knowing the only reason was because I was too nervous about roadsalt on my car... Not worth it in my opinion, it is just a car, and it should be fine. If some retards slides into me, than so be it, I have insurance if need be. Be careful out there everybody, looks like we may have a rough winter ahead of us!

I garage the Legacy and pull out the Ferrari for winter. . .

LOL

If I had an AWD vehicle then winter would be the only time I pulled it out. The Legacy isn't a high end car. Sure it is spendy and nice, but it isn't something that needs to be protected from winter. I guess if I had a beater AWD car and a nice show car Legacy, then yeah I'd garage it for the winter, but unless I had spent the money to really make this car a show vehicle, there just isn't any point in hiding it from the snow. That was what they were built for.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guilty of nuttiness here! The thought of salty road spray on my suspension parts is too much to bear. I had the same issue with an 02 WRX. 00 Outback fitted with Blizzaks used to fill this role,that was a fun winter ride. Mazda CX9 on Blizzaks is what i use now.

:lol: now that explains the clean car and low miles! Nice Garage!

How long have you had that flooring down? How does it seem to be holding up?

Also I garage my Legacy for the winter unless a nice day comes along I drive a 95 Dakota.

LOL

If I had an AWD vehicle then winter would be the only time I pulled it out. The Legacy isn't a high end car. Sure it is spendy and nice, but it isn't something that needs to be protected from winter. I guess if I had a beater AWD car and a nice show car Legacy, then yeah I'd garage it for the winter, but unless I had spent the money to really make this car a show vehicle, there just isn't any point in hiding it from the snow. That was what they were built for.

I would love a 2nd gen 5speed Legacy sedan for winters. Maybe one day.

Oh my, how I love these cars.

Subaru Legacy, you are my one and only.

Archived