LegacyGT.com

Anybody not like mirror with compass?

I'm thinking about getting a Legacy sedan (for myself, the wagon is my wife's car). The ones at nearby dealers all seem to have the fancy auto-dimming mirror with a compass display in the mirror glass (not the homelink one with the compass in the frame below the glass).

It seems to me that it might be annoying to have the compass blocking part of the view in the mirror. Anybody have one of these and like to comment? Thanks!

My compass is on the bottom part of the mirror where there is a display section that includes the LED for the auto dimmer. I guess they got rid of this and incorporated the display into the actual mirror glass, that would annoy me too :(, i'm glad I have the older one :)

The auto dimming sensor is slow mainly because it is completely exposed behind the mirror. I think its suppose to have a tinted glass covering the hole. I'm looking for some hard tinted film to put there to see if it will speed up the dimming especially on well lit roads ;)

I have the compass in the mirror, after having it below the mirror as an LED in my last Suby. I don't notice it one bit when I'm checking my mirrors and can find it easily when I need to know what direction I'm going in.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i really dont pay attention to the direction so i just have it off. but i love the auto dim espically when a truck is behind or a car with the bright a$$ lights. now i wish my side mirrors where like that id be happier

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I like the compass function - it's come in handy several times when driving around D.C.

It never gets in the way of seeing whats behind me... I don't think I've ever even noticed it when trying to see look at the mirror.

The auto-dim however I absolutely hate. It's too slow some of the time, and it dims when it doesn't need to other times. I'm used to flipping the little switch to angle the mirror down to dim from my old car... It was instant and it worked, and if I could have that with a compass too I'd be overjoyed.

I have the one with homelink. I'm not a fan of the dimming feature. My windows are tinted and when it dims, I can't see anything out the back. So I have to deselect the auto-dimming feature everytime I drive the car at night.

I have vehicles with both types of compass displays and find neither distracting. They've been commonplace for over 15 years.

My auto-dim works perfectly, before the window tint and now after the tint. I haven't had to touch the mirror since I bought the car except when I bump it while cleaning the windshield.

I have the homelink mirror. The compass doesn't bother me because I turn it off. I only turn it on when I'm temporary disoriented.

The autodimming works fine for me even with tinted windows. No complaints here.

I'm thinking about getting a Legacy sedan (for myself, the wagon is my wife's car). The ones at nearby dealers all seem to have the fancy auto-dimming mirror with a compass display in the mirror glass (not the homelink one with the compass in the frame below the glass).

It seems to me that it might be annoying to have the compass blocking part of the view in the mirror. Anybody have one of these and like to comment? Thanks!

I think it's a great optional peice of equipment. I love having it. I don't have problems with the compass inside the mirror, it' dims pretty quickly in my view.

I like the autodimming w/compass a lot. It was something I asked to be put in the car otherwise I wouldn't buy it. I don't find the auto-dim to be slow, and my compass is outside of the glass (old style I guess). I like it a lot and have used to the compass to find way out of lost situations.

The auto-dim however I absolutely hate. It's too slow some of the time, and it dims when it doesn't need to other times. I'm used to flipping the little switch to angle the mirror down to dim from my old car... It was instant and it worked, and if I could have that with a compass too I'd be overjoyed.

+1!!!!!:spin:

I like the homelink mirror. Compass is completely unobtrusive, even though it's on the mirror. The dimmer dims faster than most people can reach for the 'flippy thing' - besides, mine picks up on cars from behind long before they would be a problem anyways, so even if there is a delay in dimming, it doesn't matter.

The compass is hardly noticeable, in fact, I don't see it unless I force myself to look at it.

In my opinion, the dimming function it a bit slow, I wish it were a bit more responsive. Either that or have longer hysteresis built into it. I find mine is great, then I pull off a highway, and it undims, I make a right, and blame I get blinded for a couple of seconds until it re-dims.

If you spring for the homelink, just verify that your garage opener is homelink compatibile. Ours isn't, so it wasn't a feature for me.

FWIW.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I'm convinced that the people who experience it slow drive in well lighted city or suburbs and the ones that experience it fast drive in areas where there aren't a whole lot of street lights.

Am I right?

Archived