LegacyGT.com

Another Skid Plate Option

TRS

Very nice, but may be a bit too expensive for me. RalliTEK just had theirs on sale for $199 + shipping that I totally forgot about. Even that was kind of expensive for something that I may never need. Now that I've said that, I bet my stock one will get torn up next winter. :redface:

The way it drops down, it might just fit the 2.5i.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 5 weeks later...
I have one of these on order- I should be receiving it in a couple of weeks.

If anyone is interested, I'll try to post some photos of the install and fitment.

Please do. Reviews are a nice source of info for anyone considering a mod/replacement/upgrade.

I have one of these on order- I should be receiving it in a couple of weeks.

If anyone is interested, I'll try to post some photos of the install and fitment.

yes please.... the only thing holding me back from getting the rallitek one is the oil filter is open.... this looks really nice though...

GTSpec Subaru Legacy GT 05-07 Aluminum Under Panel

Background

I've installed the GTSpec aluminum under tray on my 05 GT LTd. I thought you might like to see some photos and a product review... Enjoy!

My 2005 Legacy GT has Bilstein HD and STI pink springs, so it sits approximately one inch lower than USDM stock. I was interested in upgrading my beat up plastic under panel after recently installing a header, uppipe and downpipe.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1732

Its a shame this goes on the underside of the Legacy!

My under panel from GTSpec is part of the first batch offered for consumers. There were two other ones for test fits. I haven’t seen or heard of anyone else that has this type of under panel so I thought that I’d give it a try. I checked with Ken at GTSpec and he said that an ocean shipment is due to arrive in early August.

Product Information

GTSpec Subaru Legacy GT 05-07 Aluminum Under Panel

Part # GTS-SUS-1353

Ordering and Shipping

I ordered the GTSpec aluminum under panel from Jeremy at FredBeansParts.com. With thir typical friendly and efficient service, they shipped it out UPS Ground from Doylestown and it arrived at my house in VA the next day.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1740

The under tray arrived in great shape and was well packaged in a heavy double corrugate box with ½ “ poly strapping bands. It was bagged in heavy clear plastic and supported well inside the box by additional corrugate supports. Removing the panel was quick, clean and easy since there were no Styrofoam peanuts in the packaging.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1737

It is worth noting that the professional packaging minimized the weight and shipping costs. The 28” x 37” x 8” package weighed only 17.2 lbs and was not subject to UPS Large Package Conditions. In my case, ground shipping costs were less than $15- this is an important consideration in the overall cost of the item. This can be compared to Rallitek’s skid pad that ships at 70 lbs due to oversize box dimensions.

Product Description and Build Quality

My first thought when I unwrapped the under panel: It’s a shame that this thing goes underneath the car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1738

Comparison photo of the GTSpec and OEM under trays

The workmanship and finish are excellent. The unpacked panel measures 33 1/8” wide x 25 ¾” long and weighs in at 10.5 lbs. The single piece of aluminum has two small 2.5” welds where the sides attach to the forward panel bevel.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1736

Great looking and excellent build quality

The aluminum thickness is 2.5 mm measured with digital calipers. There are also twenty-six 4” vents formed into the panel that should provide excellent engine compartment ventilation. The oil filter location is covered by a removable door. The oil filter door can be removed after loosening eight torx screws. The oil pan drain has a 70 mm (2.7”) square hole. This could possibly be messy when used with the OEM oil pan plug; however I have a Fumoto valve for my oil drain so there should be no mess or problem.

Although its probably not necessary, I shot both sides of the under panel with Dupli-Color Clear Engine Enamel. This puts a clear coat on the aluminum that is durable to 500*F. Hopefully it will keep the under tray looking great and protect it from the road salt during the winter months.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1733

GTSpec under tray sitting inside OEM tray for comparison

GTSpec is careful to note that the under panel is not a skid plate; however it is definitely much tougher than the plastic OEM panel. I wouldn’t recommend abusing it too much; however the panel should provide excellent protection from road debris while shielding the lower engine and header from grime, rain and snow.

Installation and Fitment

My package came with an assortment of nuts, bolts and washers neatly bagged and taped to the inside of the under tray. The package did not contain any detailed installation instructions, however the installation could not have been easier. Fitment was spot-on perfect. The under tray was installed in about 20 minutes (my OEM tray was already removed). The only tools required were a 12mm 3/8 drive socket and a 12mm box end wrench. Removal of the tray is only a matter of removing four 12mm bolts- it should take less time than removing the OEM tray.

The installed tray provides excellent protection and ventilation. The tray clears my exhaust header and looks to be about the same clearance as the original plastic tray. As I mentioned earlier, its a shame that this thing is under the car.

picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1893

GTSpec under tray installed and ready to go!

picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=2400

GTSpec under tray with Fumoto F105N installed makes oil changes easy. Simply drill a 3/4" hole and insert the tube and a rubber grommet.

Oil Changes with the GTSpec under tray

I originally installed the under tray with a Fumoto F105 quick valve. I recently changed the oil and found that the F105 will work, however you have to open the valve only part of the way otherwise the oil stream could flow onto the backside of the under tray. After one oil change, I have decided to use a Fumoto F105N valve. The 105N has a Nipple attachment that allows for a hose connection. This is a better solution for this specific under tray.

I drilled a 3/4" hole and inserted a rubber grommet to give it a finished look. I have tested this arrangement out and it works perfectly. Installation time was about 20 minutes.

Conclusion

So far I'm very pleased with the design, build quality, and packaging. Fitment was perfect and installation was done in a matter of minutes. The GTSpec under tray is a beautiful and functional addition. Although it is more expensive than the Rallitek product, the packaging allows for less expensive shipping costs. The folks at FredBeansParts.com provided stellar customer service, pricing, and order execution as usual. There could possibly be more aggressive pricing if orders were delivered as a group buy or vendor special. I highly recommend this item.

Availability

$375 from Fred Beans

$366 from Tampa Racing

$383 from JSC Speed

So how is it another skid-plate option when GT-Spec says it is not intended as a skid plate :lol:

Good point- the measured thickness was 2.5 mm with my digital calipers and the advertised thickness is 3 mm (the first post in this thread). The Rallitek skidplate is advertised at 1/8" (just slightly over 3mm). It would make for an interesting comparson...maybe someone with the Rallitek version can measure the thickness with digital calipers.

The entire piece seems very well made and it is certainly more than adequate protection for street use IMO. I suppose it all depends on your requirements for the part.

Just purchased one too, should be in right around the time my JDM bumper comes in. This looks to be perfect to protect the underside a bit more and when reviewing all the JDM conversions, this appears to be a good fit.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Quick update- I have a CV boot/axle that needs attention. I'm going to hopefully get to that this week and put the under panel on when I'm done. I'll shoot a few more pics and comment on the fitment with an update to my original review.

^^^ That thing is a piece of art. You need to get a mirror to park over like they do for show cars so that you can admire it while your Legacy is sitting in the garage. :lol:

Any pictures from further away?

How difficult is it to remove the oil-filter cover?

Any loss of ground clearance?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Any idea if this would work on an 09?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Bummer, the GTSpec one is out of stock.

I'll have to wait and see if they get them back in.

Archived