LegacyGT.com

Another Problem?!

I've had my car for about 5 months, and have clocked ~4600 miles on it thus far.

I had my first problem at ~4000 miles. I was walking out of a McDonalds and noticed a coolant smell. I popped the hood, and saw a puddle of coolant sitting in my engine bay, apparently coming from the radiator cap. Took it to the dealer, and they said that the caps on "these" have common problems of "pulling coolant from the reservoir." They exchanged the OEM cap out with an STi cap and the problem hasn't happened since.

Another 600 miles goes by, and now I can't even turn my key in the ignition! I put the key in, go to turn the key, and it doesn't budge. I've read that you might have to hit the end of your key with a rubber mallet, lube up the lock cylinder with WD-40/Brake Cleaner, blow out the lock cylinder of debris, etc... I had my car towed to the dealership, and got myself a rental. I had this problem about a month ago at a friends house, but the key would turn after messing with it for 2 minutes.

I tried for 2 days, a cummulative of probably 3-4 hours, trying to get the key to turn inside the ignition. Nothing made the issue better, nothing made it worse. It just wouldn't budge. I tried everything I could think of.

I'm a little irritated with having issues like this after only ~4600 miles. What's the deal?

Sorry fellers, I don't get on here until I get back to work. :lol:

Yes, as mentioned I tried basically everything. I wiggled the steering wheel and even shot a video for a Subaru rep who, like you guys, thought that the steering wheel was the culprit.

Just got a call from Subaru a few hours ago...

PROBLEM: Ignition Lock Cylinder

Subaru had to order another lock cylinder, so I'm stuck driving an F150 XLT getting 13MPG on my 100 mile a day commute for 3-4 more days. At least I've got a rental, though.

Sorry fellers, I don't get on here until I get back to work. :lol:

Yes, as mentioned I tried basically everything. I wiggled the steering wheel and even shot a video for a Subaru rep who, like you guys, thought that the steering wheel was the culprit.

Just got a call from Subaru a few hours ago...

PROBLEM: Ignition Lock Cylinder

Subaru had to order another lock cylinder, so I'm stuck driving an F150 XLT getting 13MPG on my 100 mile a day commute for 3-4 more days. At least I've got a rental, though.

Damn that sucks!!

Hope everything works out.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Voytech: I don't think so. None of my friends would do such a thing, and I've never had a reason to think that a stranger would have gotten into my car. It did do this before 3-4 weeks back at a friends place, but I just wiggled the key in the ignition a few times and it worked again. I assumed then that the problem was my steering wheel.

NewLegGT67: Thank you, I hope so too!

That's tough to take, especially on a new car. Hope this is not endemic of Subaru switching out all of their previous parts source providers in MY08. Can't say I've had this issue with Subarus in over 30 years of driving them. Hope it all works out for you. If they have to replace the actual lock itself, insist on a matched set for the doors, trunk/hatch and ignition.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived