LegacyGT.com

i am loving the Subie in this snow but has this happened to anyone else?

I loved being the only car getting in and out of the driveway, but my car suffered. the rear mudflaps are coming off, i JUST noticed my fogs are cracked. BOTH OF THEM!!! also the car felt incredibly rough the first 4 miles on my way to work and something hit the bottom every few seconds. i am assuming it was Ice chunks falling off the car because a mile after i got on the parkway, it went away and never happened again. thoughts?

I have an 08 and I live not far from you....my mudflaps are fine (or have been), so are the foglights. Stuff hitting the bottom = normal in my experience, maybe yours is worse due to stickier tires IIRC?

The one thing I just got, on both of my sides, was a severe case of frozen snow on the inside of my wheels. Couldn't go over 50mph without the car trying to shake itself apart. I tried to melt it first by heavy braking and then sitting and letting the heat radiate (I mean doing this over 20 minutes in stop and go traffic). Finally had to get out and push/pull the chunks out of the wheel.

Happened on my 06 Civic SI, I literally was watching the passenger seat bounce up and down from the vibrations....maybe I should tighten that; didn't seem like it would be good to be seated there in a wreck...

The one thing I just got, on both of my sides, was a severe case of frozen snow on the inside of my wheels. Couldn't go over 50mph without the car trying to shake itself apart. I tried to melt it first by heavy braking and then sitting and letting the heat radiate (I mean doing this over 20 minutes in stop and go traffic). Finally had to get out and push/pull the chunks out of the wheel.

Heavy braking won't melt it. Find a spray-it-yourself carwash with warm water and spray the ice out.

Heavy braking has worked for me before, when it was just some smaller stuff. This morning my wheels were crammed full :)

I just literally took a gloved hand and pushed the snow/ice out and it worked just fine. Cruised the rest of the way at 80mph with no vibrations.

Snow always gets caked on the front and rear mudflaps for me. What I do is gently kick the sides of the mudflaps after each drive to get the snow to slide right off. The key is to do this while it's still slushy, not when it's already frozen itself to the flaps.

I usually don't get snow stuck in the wheels unless I was screwing around in a parking lot. For those cases, I just use a stick or whatever else is handy to poke the snow out from in between the spokes before they're frozen to the wheels.

the rear mudflaps are coming off, i JUST noticed my fogs are cracked. BOTH OF THEM!!!

The fogs are cracked most likely from debris hitting them. Nothing new really. With the sand/salt they put on the roads, you can get some pretty large size pebbles smacking the front end of your car. You should see my windshield. It has been owned by winter debris.

As for the mudflaps. Get yourself some RA mudflaps with some WD-40 sprayed on there. Snow will slide off flawlessly!

Heavy braking won't melt it. Find a spray-it-yourself carwash with warm water and spray the ice out.

I used the handle side of the brush to poke the snow out from inside the wheel. You could definitely feel the unbalanced wheels past 50mph.

I have been spraying CD2 Engine Detailer on the insides of the wheel wells to combat the buildup of ice/snow.

It seems to make wheel well more slippery and the snow just falls off if it gets thrown in there...this doesn't do anything for the wheels themselves but I always make an effort to scrape that off before I leave the car parked anyway...

my .02...

If you backup with heavy snow behind the mud flaps, you can dislodge them, sometimes to the point where they pull the popits out. Other than that, I've not had an issue with any Subaru mudflaps.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived