LegacyGT.com

all wheel drive problemes can anyone help?

i just got a 1998 subaru legacy gt and its only in 2 wheel drive only the front wheels drive. i checked the powertrain under the car everything looks goood. i just wondering if theres a fuse or something for the awd system? also i just wanted to know how the awd system works

hope someone can help me out

thanks!

the AWD system on 90 - 99 auto trans subarus is a computer controlled transfer clutch which is powered by the ATF pressure.

there are 2 speed sensors, one on the rear output shaft of the trans and one on the front diff carrier. when the computer sees 2 different speeds, it changes the fluid pressure going to the transfer clutch in the rear extension housing on the trans and sends more power to the rear wheels.

in typical driving on dry roads the power split front / rear is about 90% / 10%. it can go up to, close to 50 /50. but even when the power split is maxed out at 50/50, it still allows for different speeds front and rear, so there will be no binding. (if you have ever driven a 4wd truck with the hubs locked, on dry pavement in a turn you know what binding is.) as long as the AWD system is in good working order and the computer is working, the system will allow for some ''slipping'' between the front and rear.

when the car is turned off the fluid pressure in the trans is zero and the transfer clutch disengages the rear wheels. this means you can jack up the rear wheels and spin them by hand because they are not ''connected'' to the trans.

a typical failure of the AWD system is a duty c solenoid failure in the ext housing. if the duty c fails, it allows ''full'' ATF pressure to get to the transfer clutch and it will ''lock'' the rear wheels to the front just like the 4wd truck w/ locked hubs. this causes binding. there is a fuse holder under the hood near the fire wall passenger side very close to the wiper motor marked FWD. this turns off the AWD by ''dumping'' all the ATF pressure and this dis-engages the rear wheels. this fuse holder, ANY size fuse will work, grounds out a pin on the TCU, trans computer, and turns off the AWD. or more correctly it turns ON the duty c ALL the time, which dumps the fluid pressure. (typically the duty c gets electric power on an cycle, a duty cycle, on-off-on-off several time a second?, which keeps a certain amount of pressure on the transfer clutch. this varying pressure determines how much power gores to the rear.)

the fuse holder is to be used if you have a flat tire and have to drive with the spare, or any odd sized tire. it is not designed to be used ALL the time, it WILL NOT save any gas money by increasing your MPG. and it does change how the car will handles on the road, FWD vs. AWD. try it and see. once you are used to AWD, fwd feels really loose , almost reckless.

taglines: awdinfo, dutycinfo, howdoesawdwork, awdbasics.

thanks!

well i looked in the fuse holder and there was no fuse in the holder so i put 1 in and i went into a pit to try out to see if the awd work and no luck!

im wondering if theres maybe something else?

like if there a relay or something?

hope someone can help me out

thanks!

try shifting into 1 and then stomping on the gas in gravel or grass. when the selector is in 1 w/ wide open throttle the front and rear split should be maxed out a 50/50.

if that does not ''engage'' the rear wheels the next step is to disconnect the large connector on the rear of the engine that goes to the trans. i think it is a 16 pin connector. this will put the car in ''limp'' mode. you should only have third gear and the AWD system should be ''locked'' in 4wd giving you torque bind in tight turns. peel outs will be impossible since you only have third gear. and hopefully rear power.

try it.

if you get nothing out of the rear with either of these, then there is something wrong inside the rear extension housing on the trans. probably the transfer clutch plates are toast , or removed even.

does that mean i can make my legacy fwd? i am broke as a joke right now and want to save some money on gas. what do i do with the fwd fuse (i know where it is and what you're talking about) to make it front wheel? And will this make any difference in mileage? i image it would make a huge improvement

does that mean i can make my legacy fwd? i am broke as a joke right now and want to save some money on gas. what do i do with the fwd fuse (i know where it is and what you're talking about) to make it front wheel? And will this make any difference in mileage? i image it would make a huge improvement

Yes you can.

No it wont.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated

You can't make it RWD.

And FWD won't save you gas because you still have the weight of the drive line that still spins...and is still attached to the car. As well, if you just randomly drive around for a long time with that fuse in to make it FWD, you will damage the duty c solenoid inside the center diff

If these cars were designed to have driver controlled awd or 2wd, there would have been a switch on the inside of it for the driver to select. There is no switch....so just leave it alone and save yourself the headache of future repairs

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

actually you can make it RWD, i just don't know if it is efficient or if it has a long term negative. but you HAVE TO HAVE axle stubs in the wheel hubs or the wheel bearings will go bad. so this means you have to ''destroy'', take apart, 2 front axles. this makes it an expensive proposition unless you have a couple of axles sitting around.

with the front wheels disconnected from the trans, the AWD unit will max out at a 50/50 split. this could be enhanced by cutting power to the duty c, which would ''lock'' the rear wheels to the front out put shaft. but bottom line the car would still drive as long as there was fluid pressure on the transfer clutch and as long as the clutch plates still had grip.

if you are not going to repair the AWD ''transfer clutch'' now and do it correctly, you can buy a lot of time, as much as you want, years even, by removing the rear section of the drive shaft. no more torque bind.

but you will not improve your MPG, as stated, since all the same parts are still spinning. they are just being pushed by the tires and wheels instead of the trans.

Archived