LegacyGT.com

Alignment problem...please help

Legasee

*car was pulling a little to the right when purchased in mid March 2005* (didn't mention to my buddy (salesman) since I figured I was going to get some wheels soon and would do alignment afterwards)*

- got alignment on Fri. aligned to factory recommendation (the front right toe was 0.21 and was -0.01 after alignment)

- drove car home, still pulling/drifting to the right (both on the street and on the fwy):mad:

- went back for alignment again on Saturday, got the car up, swapped the front wheels to see if it was a tire issue, but still pulled to the right

- alignment guy said there is no camber adjustment for the front wheels, told me to take it back to the dealer to see if they can fix it cuz the alignment guys already put things back to factory specs (**they used 2000 to 2003 legacy sedan specs, and told me that those cars had the same as my 2005 GT!!!:confused: )

what to do???!!!

my plan--

1. is the 2000 up to 2005 using the same alignment specs?

2. if #1 is yes, then is my alignment issue warrantied by the dealer? (it was slightly drifting/pulling to the right when I bought the car, but I figured any alignment would correct it).

ANY advice/comments welcome!

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Subaru will do one alignment under warranty.

What were your front camber measurements?

What were your rear toe and camber measurements?

FRONT CAMBER--- left is -0.18 and right is -0.25

REAR TOE--- left is 0.00 and right is 0.06

REAR CAMBER-- left is -0.30 and right is -0.17

"TOTAL TOE" is 0.06

thanks! (I was having difficulties with my computer at home so I wasn't able to reply)

All those numbers are within Subaru specs, even the camber numbers.

Did they measure thrust angle?

thanks for your reply :)

the thrust angle is -0.03 (with specific range of -0.50 to 0.50) :)

:confused: :confused: ...the guys at the alignment place couldn't figure out what was wrong...

thanks for any information that can help me tell the alignment place again or the car dealer...:)

What were your caster settings?

Ken

Caster settting----left is 5.65 and right is 5.30...

I remember the alignment guys saying that there was no xxx adjustments for the front wheels...if I remembered correctely, he was referring to the caster adjustments...:mad:

is the problem the caster adjustments? IF so, then what should I tell them?

A car will tend to drift towards the side with less caster so your settings might be contributing to it. I've had a similar issue -- all adjustable alignment settings in spec, but a very slight pull to the right. My right caster is about -0.5 vs. the left.

The easy fix is to get your wheels and tires balanced on a Hunter unit that can measure radial pull. You mount the tires in the configuration that counters the right pull.

To adjust caster, I believe you need to undo the front suspension and start with the subframe -- not an easy task.

Ken

A car will tend to drift towards the side with less caster so your settings might be contributing to it. I've had a similar issue -- all adjustable alignment settings in spec, but a very slight pull to the right. My right caster is about -0.5 vs. the left.

The easy fix is to get your wheels and tires balanced on a Hunter unit that can measure radial pull. You mount the tires in the configuration that counters the right pull.

To adjust caster, I believe you need to undo the front suspension and start with the subframe -- not an easy task.

Ken

man...what a pain....

this all MIGHT have started from the subaru factory, or between that time to when I bought the car cuz I noticed this slight pull to the right when I was driving the car home on the day of purchase...

now...the alignment guys "suppositly" aligned everything right, and there is nothing else they can adjust, and told me to talk to the dealer/subaru service tech about it...

so you are recommending that I do the Hunter unit to compensate for the problem with the camber in the car? So does this mean I need to use the HUNTER unit evertime I balance my tires (and if the alignment guys don't have it, I would have to go to different places for balance and alignment)? I bought the lifetime warranty from this alignment shop and hope they can continue to do alignments for me...

Should the subaru dealer fix this under warranty or am I SOL?!!:(

only 2000 miles (don't even have my license plates yet!) and I get this freaky alignment problem...:(

man...what a pain....

this all MIGHT have started from the subaru factory, or between that time to when I bought the car cuz I noticed this slight pull to the right when I was driving the car home on the day of purchase...

now...the alignment guys "suppositly" aligned everything right, and there is nothing else they can adjust, and told me to talk to the dealer/subaru service tech about it...

so you are recommending that I do the Hunter unit to compensate for the problem with the camber in the car? So does this mean I need to use the HUNTER unit evertime I balance my tires (and if the alignment guys don't have it, I would have to go to different places for balance and alignment)? I bought the lifetime warranty from this alignment shop and hope they can continue to do alignments for me...

Should the subaru dealer fix this under warranty or am I SOL?!!:(

only 2000 miles (don't even have my license plates yet!) and I get this freaky alignment problem...:(

*since the alignment is to specs (suppositly), is there any danger to driving the car the way it is...basically, do i have a few weeks or so to get this thing taken care of or should get this taken care of immediately :confused: )...thanks again for all your help people! :)

Most Subarus seem to pull to one side because of the difference in caster from side to side. When I had my WRX with caster/camber plates and equal caster on each side it would track dead straight. I've never thought that the pulling was that big a deal in any subaru that I've driven though. And since your caster is (I believe) in spec I doubt you'll be able to get anything done to fix it. Although even though its not really asdjustable there may be a little wiggle room to get things closer to equal. As for your alignment it seems ok, but they should be able to adjust the camber in the front.

Caster settting----left is 5.65 and right is 5.30...

I remember the alignment guys saying that there was no xxx adjustments for the front wheels...if I remembered correctely, he was referring to the caster adjustments...:mad:

is the problem the caster adjustments? IF so, then what should I tell them?

According to the alignment printout I got from my dealer, the caster should lie in the range of 2.1deg to 3.6deg.

my plan--

1. is the 2000 up to 2005 using the same alignment specs?...........

Seems that way. My Subaru dealer used the 2000-2004 Legacy wagon specs when I had my alignment checked in March.

According to the alignment printout I got from my dealer, the caster should lie in the range of 2.1deg to 3.6deg.

why can't my alignment guy adjust my caster setting??!!! :mad:

someone hook me up with an alignment place in Los Angeles area that can take care of my issues...please! :redface:

• 2 years later...

that caster spec is not right. the stock caster specs are around 5deg not 3deg. Cast is nt adjustable unless you buy eccentric front LCA bushings.

- alignment guy said there is no camber adjustment for the front wheels, told me to take it back to the dealer to see if they can fix it cuz the alignment guys already put things back to factory specs (**they used 2000 to 2003 legacy sedan specs, and told me that those cars had the same as my 2005 GT!!!:confused: )

what to do???!!!

my plan--

1. is the 2000 up to 2005 using the same alignment specs?

2. if #1 is yes, then is my alignment issue warrantied by the dealer? (it was slightly drifting/pulling to the right when I bought the car, but I figured any alignment would correct it).

ANY advice/comments welcome!

you alignment guy is an idiot. the 2005+specs are very different than the 2000-2004 specs. also front camber is adjustable by turning the camber bolt at the bottom of the strut. bring the car to a place that has the rights secs in ther alignment computer for your car.

Archived