LegacyGT.com

Air intake options

Payback45

Most people will tell you to keep the stock one. Your first mod should be a tune and a catted downpipe. This is considered "Stage 2" and will get you the most power for the least amount of money. After that, adding a catback, intake, intercooler etc are popular supporting mods, but should be accounted for in the tune.

Thanks for the link. I am new to a turbo car so i really don't know what I am looking for. If I wanted to put a better down or up pipe (and what is the difference by the way) and turbo what do I need? And for the rest of the exhaust what do I need? I need it to be catted so I can pass emissions here in Va. Sorry for all the newbie question but we all have to start somewhere.

The answer for everything you're looking for can be found in their respective sub-forums (Tuning, intake/exhaust, turbo powertrains, etc.)

Again, if you get an intake, you're going to need to retune your car. A drop in filter will be fine. But if you're looking for performance increase, you will see little to NO performance increase at all with an aftermarket intake even with a tune. And without a tune, you may be doing harm.

As for the exhaust, you don't need an UP. You need a DP only. Your 2009 LGT doesn't have a cat in the UP. People replace it as a precautionary measure because Stage 2 cars run hotter and as a result, the cat in the stock UP is at risk of falling apart and sending shrapnel into the turbo. If you're wondering which DP to get, start reading up in those sub-forums.

All of these things cost money, so it might not be within the budget you had in mind. Read, read, read. Good luck!

As long as you have your car tuned for the intake there is no problem with it. It is known that stock intake is good to about 300whp. If your looking for power the intake wont do that much. If your looking to hear your turbo a lot more an intake or k&n panel filter is the way to go.

Up-nope, not needed, already catless

DP-CNT catted

Cat-back exhaust-Plenty of options. Search classifieds. Or you could go axle-back route (custom). I have Magnaflow's #14827. Sounds great, no drone.

Intake-I wouldn't do it, leave it alone. Just make sure the filter is clean.

Tune-Either accessport or opensource.

• Mega Users

I hear of some wizards that use some strange form of google and reading to seek the truth. Try the tuning subforum. That will cover all forms of changing the values that are stored within your ECU to gain more performance (read:tuning).

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-84.html

Thanks for the sarcasm btw.

Dude, you sort of deserve it. Every bit of what you asked so far can be found with about 5 minutes of reading. There are plenty of stickies and other threads where everything is covered already.

Catback will alter the sound of your car and give you a bit of that boxer rumble. Doesn't require a tune. Also yields no performance gain on an otherwise stock car.

DP will also alter the sound of your car. Should make the rumble deeper and somewhat louder. The stock DP is the most restrictive part of your exhaust. Requires a tune. You will get a substantial increase in performance from this.

Intake is useless for performance until your car becomes heavily modded. Without a tune, this will adversely affect your car. It tends to lean out the air/fuel mix. WITH a tune, you still won't notice any performance increase. As for noise, yes, you'll probably hear more of the turbo sound, depending on the intake that you get.

Please read the subforums. There's even an entire thread full of streaming videos of different exhaust options.

• Mega Users
Thanks for the sarcasm btw.

Don't get all butt hurt. It was one sentence, and I even gave you some more info. You're about the 1 millionth fanboi to ask the SAME QUESTION. So if reading comprehension isn't your cup of tea, you're SOL. That is unless someone else wants to spoon feed you which some of these nice people already have. :spin:

Archived