LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Sub and Amp Install

FLASHMSTRC

Everyone, I just bought an '05 GT last night and I had to take my system out of my Mazda 6 last night. I used a line output converter in that setup to bypass the bose amp and subwoofer.

What are my options for an aftermarket setup in the Legacy GT? I haven't been able to find anything too helpful yet on the forum, no DIY, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I am looking for an IPOD adapter that will be plug and play without an aux-in, or FM modulator...any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

It would appear no one is interested in voicing their opinion on this one?

I know Cleansweep appears to be the way to go, but if you're going to spend that much money, why not just do an aftermarket head unit?

I don't know what they did, or how they hooked it up, but Car Toys (not sure if they're in VA though) hooked up my aftermarket amp & subs to the factory head unit. They sound very close to what they did when they were hooked up to an aftermarket headunit in my old car.

As for the Ipod adaptor, you should look into the Jazzy Board (by JazzyMT on these boards). If you do a search for Jazzy Board, you should be able to find it. It's a fairly inexpensive way to provide an aux input on our factory stereos.

What did it run you to have your amp and subs installed at Car Toys?

I don't remember off the top of my head as it was almost 3 years ago. I might still have the receipt at home, but I don't think I saved that one. If I had to, I would guess it was around $150. I will try to find the receipt tonight.

Not real sure what I am supposed to focus on with that thread. The cleansweep seems real expensive and I'm not sure what exactly it accomplishes.

It just seemed like you didn't know why you can't put a new head unit in. The climate controls use the same circuit board. So you can't just put another head unit in, the old one has to stay. Some put a new head unit in the cubby hole with the OEM still down below. I might of gone that route if I would have done mine from the ground up.

Mine came with a clean sweep and amp, so I added a sub and another amp to it. Not hard. You can always use an LOC on the factory wires, but you will have factory EQ bias in it. Plus LOCs are not the best way to do it.

So, you can get a Clean Sweep and run amps and subwoofers and have an aux. input, or you can put a new head unit in the cubby hole, or you can just use a LOC like you mentioned off the factory wiring and put up with factory EQ bias and use a Jazzy like was mentioned.

The factory radio cuts the bass as you increase the volume in an effort to protect the door speakers from distortion. A LOC will only perform in the same manner as it simply passes on the signal received from the factory deck. Lots of gain and added bass on the factory h/u can compensate for that.

The Cleansweep negates that behavior and works to balance all frequencies to near flat. This way, your sound can be properly tuned without interference from the source as the volume increases or decreases. It also has a line-in via RCA for your iPod saving adapters and those horrible RF things.

Also, if you have the auto climate controls, the h/u and the climate controls are mated to the same board. If you have the manual controls, you can get the Metra kit to replace the deck as they would be separate. Good luck on the install.

The factory radio cuts the bass as you increase the volume in an effort to protect the door speakers from distortion. A LOC will only perform in the same manner as it simply passes on the signal received from the factory deck. Lots of gain and added bass on the factory h/u can compensate for that.

The Cleansweep negates that behavior and works to balance all frequencies to near flat. This way, your sound can be properly tuned without interference from the source as the volume increases or decreases. It also has a line-in via RCA for your iPod saving adapters and those horrible RF things.

Also, if you have the auto climate controls, the h/u and the climate controls are mated to the same board. If you have the manual controls, you can get the Metra kit to replace the deck as they would be separate. Good luck on the install.

I do have the auto controls so I would have to put an aftermarket in the cubby. As for the line-in via RCA for iPod...does that mean I can use an aux-rca cable to plug my ipod into the factory radio through Cleansweep?

I do have the auto controls so I would have to put an aftermarket in the cubby. As for the line-in via RCA for iPod...does that mean I can use an aux-rca cable to plug my ipod into the factory radio through Cleansweep?

I know you were not asking me, but if you put an aftermarket deck in the cubby, you just get one with aux inputs for your iPod. you don't need a Clean sweep with an aftermarket deck.

If you keep the factory deck and use a Clean sweep, it has an aux input that uses RCAs. So you use that to hook up what ever you want and swithch between the radio and Aux input with the Clean Sweep volume knob.

• 1 month later...
I don't remember off the top of my head as it was almost 3 years ago. I might still have the receipt at home, but I don't think I saved that one. If I had to, I would guess it was around $150. I will try to find the receipt tonight.

Did you ever find the receipt, also did you ever ask them to see if they used a line out converter by chance?

I just realized I don't have the factory subwoofer under the passenger seat so I may try installing using an LOC.

Did you ever find the receipt, also did you ever ask them to see if they used a line out converter by chance?

I just realized I don't have the factory subwoofer under the passenger seat so I may try installing using an LOC.

I wasn't able to find my receipt. I thnk it must have gotten lost during my move earlier this year. I didn't ask them about a LOC when I had it done.

Sorry.

So no idea how your system was installed? Obviously not using a Cleansweep right? Do you have the factory subwoofer under the passenger seat?

Nope, I don't know how it was installed. I just went to Car Toys, asked them if they could hook up aftermarket subs to the stock radio, and they said yes. I don't think the Cleansweep was available yet when I had this done (Jan/Feb of 2005), if it was, they didn't say anything about it. I do have the factory sub, and infact it is still underneath my seat (drivers).

I am very pleased with the sound of my system. I'm sure the cleansweep would give you better sound, but for me it does just fine. All I was looking for over the stock system was deeper, crisper bass without being too loud and not getting distorted.

I installed 2 10" JL Audio W3's. I can't remember what the amp was that I put in (I had the system in my previous car for a couple years).

Archived