LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Pulleys

dabbdc

Some aftermarket crank pulleys remove a built-in harmonic dampener to save weight. This can cause engine wear problems.

Is there a non-under drive crank pulley that saves 3.5 lbs +/- without doing this?

Is there a formula that translates rotating weight savings to increased HP? Is there a non-underdrive 3 pulley set for LGT?

There is no harmonic balancer in a Legacy crank pulley. This was verified by a Subaru engineer on nasioc a while ago.

Just get a light weight crank or lightweight pulley set. Avoid underdrive pulleys.

I haven't seen any 3 pulley sets, but if you go to the vendor tab at the top a couple of them have 3 or 4 different lightweight crank pulleys. I know perrin and cobb make them, but the cobbs are expensive.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-Legacy-GT-05-dsh-09-cln-Engine-Parts-cln-Miscellaneous/Categories

It's cool; I'm with the band

There is no harmonic balancer in a Legacy crank pulley. This was verified by a Subaru engineer on nasioc a while ago.

Just get a light weight crank or lightweight pulley set. Avoid underdrive pulleys.

While the crank pulley is not a harmonic balancer, it is a harmonic damper. The rubber section in between the mating hub and the pulley grooves prevents the full shock of the power pulses from hitting the accessories. I have spoken with a couple shops that recommend against lightweight pulleys and won't even sell them for a quick buck. However there have been people running aftermarket non-damped pulleys for years without a problem... so make your own decision.

If you had a spec.B the lightweight pulleys would add 200 whp each. Since yours is just a regular GT, probably somewhere in the 2-5 hp range per pulley. One of the vendors lists a 5-7 hp gain with just the lightened crank pulley, but then again that could just be marketing exaggeration.

While the crank pulley is not a harmonic balancer, it is a harmonic damper. The rubber section in between the mating hub and the pulley grooves prevents the full shock of the power pulses from hitting the accessories. I have spoken with a couple shops that recommend against lightweight pulleys and won't even sell them for a quick buck. However there have been people running aftermarket non-damped pulleys for years without a problem... so make your own decision.

hmmm interesting. I've had a lightweight pulley sitting on a shelf in my garage for 4+ years, still trying to decide if its worth it for me to put on. I have a 5EAT so the effects should be noticable, but I don't want to do it at the expense of motor/crank problems. Then again I've read more than one post on here about the stock crank pulley failing...

I think this debate is about the same as the intake silencer delete debate. No one has reported any real issues in connection with it, but people still say its bad news.

Until there is hard evidence for or against lightweight pulleys, people will continue to make and use them.

I think this debate is about the same as the intake silencer delete debate. No one has reported any real issues in connection with it, but people still say its bad news.

Until there is hard evidence for or against lightweight pulleys, people will continue to make and use them.

x2

I pondered a LWPul pull but after getting a LWFW I dont want to lose any more launching grunt.

I have the Group A pulley kit. The power steering pulley is slightly larger than my stocker and I can not use a stock belt if I install the pulley. Has anyone else run into this and what belt did you go with? A last generation WRX belt? Thanks.

Every time this topic comes up, either nobody mentions underdrive pulleys or someone says to keep away from them. This makes no sense unless your running a getto sound system. Underdrive pulley sets are the only way you're going to get a horsepower gain by messing with the pulleys. I've been racing and winning with underdrive pulleys for years.

Archived