LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Head Unit & Navigation

HangKen

I am in a market for the Legacy GT that comes with the Navigation.

The 6 disc head unit does not interest me so I am thinking about changing it to an after market unit.

Now the question is: Changing the headunit has nothing to do with the navigation?

I am not even so sure where the Navi Sound is connected to the audio speaker.

Does the Radio "Mute" when the Navi is taking?

Some small question that I had to ask before I go ahead and purchase the headunit for the car that I don't even own yet.......:lol:

Thanks!

Yeah... before you pick out the radio... do a little reading in the audio/interior forum about the difficulties of aftermarket audio in this car. Not saying it can't be done, love my Kenwood, but you've got some ground to cover to get up to speed on some large roadblocks.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Wow good thing I asked....

I guess getting the head unit from Japan is out of the question now!

Thanks guys, and if there are any ways to convert the headunit with navigation being able to use, I'd be glad to hear how to do it!

Thanks for he comments!

Since you are already getting a car with nav, you be beter off keeping the stock head unit and installing amps, speakers, subs and a LOC or cleansweep. you will get the better sound of a upgraded system but eveything will look stock. IMHO, thas the bet was to go with 08s with nav.

Just a thought about the aftermarket radio.

Crutchfield Mounting Kit

They had this up to 2007 models.

So I am assuming that the wiring is the problem with the installation right?

Man, I don't know why they didn't offer an option without the Navigation?!

Sebberry

Thank you for the information regarding the JL Audio Cleansweep or a Rockford Fosgate 360.

It seems like it can be used until there are some kinda way to put the after market radio!

Just a thought about the aftermarket radio.

Crutchfield Mounting Kit

They had this up to 2007 models.

So I am assuming that the wiring is the problem with the installation right?

Man, I don't know why they didn't offer an option without the Navigation?!

Sebberry

Thank you for the information regarding the JL Audio Cleansweep or a Rockford Fosgate 360.

It seems like it can be used until there are some kinda way to put the after market radio!

That kit is for normally aspirated manual a/c control models only.

You cant replace the stereo in an 05 + LGT you can add a stereo if you dont have NAV in the cubby but you cant replace it because the A/C and Stereo is one unit and without some heavy duty wiring custom work you cant do it. It has been done but with LOTS of hours and custom soddering.

You could also look at a no-navi car and then install a double-din navigational unit in the cubby which would probably be better then the OEM subby navi anyway although I will admit my experience with the OEM navi is limited to playing around with one at the dealer.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

gfxdave99

Thanks for the info.

Too bad they did not come out with the model without the navi.

But I looked in to the JL Audio Clean Sweep and it seems like it might work for me.

Making the car look stock is definitely one of my choice (For theft reasons).

Thank you all for your responses!

It saved me $$$ trying to import headunit from Japan!:lol:

Hi all, I just installed a Kenwood LCD U.I. kos-702 and KOS-v500 controller with the accessories of Nav,blutooth ipod and integrated with the stock radio since Subaru did a stupid and made the climate control and radio one common board. I just upgraded to XM with XM traffic and weather too. Very happy that my Subie has smartened up.

2142889509_CopyofleagacygtUi(2).thumb.JPG.96dc9610cecd1c1cc80f6058eeebfedd.JPG

455380116_CopyoflegacygtUI(3)d.thumb.JPG.2e3256a65aeee86788a2b7f77c38e3dc.JPG

592261388_CopyofleagacygtUi(1).thumb.JPG.d0c225be4af4279c493a7169ef2e73fb.JPG

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Hi all, I just installed a Kenwood LCD U.I. kos-702 and KOS-v500 controller with the accessories of Nav,blutooth ipod and integrated with the stock radio since Subaru did a stupid and made the climate control and radio one common board. I just upgraded to XM with XM traffic and weather too. Very happy that my Subie has smartened up.

Can you take a picture with the face "down", like while you're loading a disc? I'm interested to see how it does it with the surrounding dash piece. Thanks. :)

I am in a market for the Legacy GT that comes with the Navigation.

The 6 disc head unit does not interest me so I am thinking about changing it to an after market unit.

Now the question is: Changing the headunit has nothing to do with the navigation?

I am not even so sure where the Navi Sound is connected to the audio speaker.

Does the Radio "Mute" when the Navi is taking?

Some small question that I had to ask before I go ahead and purchase the headunit for the car that I don't even own yet.......:lol:

Thanks!

Yes the radio does mute when the Navi is taking. My recommendation is that you keep the stock headunit and add after market parts to improve the sound quality.

Personally I wish the cd player could read mp3's but other then that it is not a bad unit.

Nemo me impune lacessit

nice set up man!!

So your stock stereo works together with the kenwood piece. CUz i am tryin to do that on my car, i have the kenwood ddx-7015 touch screen, but my stock stereo does not work.

where can i get the kenwood screen that you have already!!

Can you take a picture with the face "down", like while you're loading a disc? I'm interested to see how it does it with the surrounding dash piece. Thanks. :)

That's not a motorized screen or part of a double din head unit. That is a fixed LCD touchscreen.

ignore him, he'll go away.

The LCD KOS-L702 itself does not interface with the factory radio. It is just a controller touch user interface. The Kenwood KOS-V500 does all work interfacing with the factory unit.

nice set up man!!

So your stock stereo works together with the kenwood piece. CUz i am tryin to do that on my car, i have the kenwood ddx-7015 touch screen, but my stock stereo does not work.

where can i get the kenwood screen that you have already!!

Audio Crafters IS it.

www.audio-crafters.com

The installer fabricated the dash kit from scratch and the LCD just attaches to it. Not much to see. Since the U.I. is thin and relatively light fabrication is most of the work.

That's not a motorized screen or part of a double din head unit. That is a fixed LCD touchscreen.

Audio Crafters IS it.

www.audio-crafters.com

The LCD KOS-L702 itself does not interface with the factory radio. It is just a controller touch user interface. The Kenwood KOS-V500 does all work interfacing with the factory unit.

Since the KOS-V500 interfaces with the factory unit and does all the work. do you need to install the LCD KOS-L702 or can it work with the factory LCD ?

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 3 weeks later...
Since the KOS-V500 interfaces with the factory unit and does all the work. do you need to install the LCD KOS-L702 or can it work with the factory LCD ?

That's a real good question. For those people that want the OEM look in their GT 5speed, will they be able to get the brains (KOS-V500) and be able to connect it to the OEM display from subaru?

This will probably be a more costly solution since the subaru display and bezel will most likely be much more than the KOS-L702 would be. But it would satisfy all of those people that want the OEM NAV and a 5 speed! Limitting the NAV to be only in the automatics and the specB was quite an odd decision.

Ebay currently shows both the brains and the display being about 350-400$ each. For a whopping total of $800 you can have an oem like system in your car!

And if you want to go all out, assuming the oem display isnt too pricy subaru, lets say double that of the L702, you are looking at about $1200 for an OEM system. Yikes!

The KOS-V500 only controls on the factory radio unit. I am not aware of the LCD factory Navi will work with the KOS-V500. Would be nice since it is a Kenwood O.e. part. I would give Kenwood's 800 line a call on tech support.

Audio Crafters IS it.

www.audio-crafters.com

The KOS-V500 only controls on the factory radio unit. I am not aware of the LCD factory Navi will work with the KOS-V500. Would be nice since it is a Kenwood O.e. part. I would give Kenwood's 800 line a call on tech support.

I contacted Kenwood via e-mail. While I still plan to confirm this by calling tech support this is the response I received.

Confirmation Number: 6UG-G6WR

Area: Car & Home

Topic: Hookup Questions

First Name: Mark

Product Model: KOS-V500

Zip/Postal Code: 32608

Product of Interest:

Where did you see the Kenwood Products?:Internet Search

Subject: Compatability

Body: I have a 06 Subaru Legacy GT with the built-in navigation system. The unit is a Kenwood KNA-DV3200 with a Kenwood FGZ000UF2 as the monitor. I wanted to know if the KOS-V500 can be placed inline with the OEM devices to expand the stock A/V capabilities.

RESPONSE

Thank you for contacting Kenwood USA Corporation. As an authorized agent for Kenwood, we are responding to your recent email inquiry.

Yes, it should work. To have the navigation interrupt with directions, you should connect the navigation system to the KOS unit.

James Sebby

Product Support Representative

Kenwood USA Authorized Call Center

PO Box 22745

Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

Phone: 1-800-536-9663 x 1918

Fax: 559-324-4594

Email: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/simple.aspx?men=2&M2=38&M3=81p

Nemo me impune lacessit

If I understood you correctly, you bought a brain that is able to control the stock radio. Then you bought a navigation unit that is able to be controled by the brain. Then you got a monitor to be able to interface with the brain. Thru the monitor you will be able to control the gps navigation unit (via the brain) and also are able to listen to the stock radio - am/fm/cd (via the brain).

You did all this with the following parts:

KOS-V500 - brain - Advanced Integration A/V Controller

KOS-L702 - monitor - 6.95" Wide Touchscreen Monitor

KNA-G510 - navi - Hideaway Navigation System

Without adding any more accessories, do those 3 peices of hardware do anything else that the factory radio doesnt already do? I see its got a built in tuner so now you end up with two am/fm tuners.

Does the KOS-V500 actually control the factory radio/changer? For instance can I change the radio station, see the FM broadcast text, select which CD I want to listen, see the cdtext (artist/album), see the id3tags for mp3 files? Or when you select 'factory' as the source does it just allow you to listen to the factorystereo, but you still have to control it via the factory knobs/buttons and no additional information is displayed on the screen?

Is there something else major that is involved that I am missing? Cables, adapters, converters, filters, wires, etc...

Sorry for the long list of questions, but this GPS thing is really killing me and keeping me from pulling the trigger. I have a Honda now with the *supposedly* best of the best oem navigation systems, so it would kill me to move into a car that is navigationless. I never had navigation before and I survived with just mapquest and a printer. Now that I have been tainted with GPS, I can't have another car without it.

Archived