LegacyGT.com

Advantage: Colorado

Brady

Having moved to Denver recently from Minnesota, I had been hoping that one advantage of my move would be the ability to buy alcohol on Sunday. Not the case. :(

But I see on the news now that there is a very good chance that will soon change!

YES!!!

heard it was because of an old old prohibition law. but thats just dumb

I think that is right... Sunday liquor sales have not been allowed in Colorado since 1933, when Prohibition was lifted.

I def miss being able to buy a 6 pack and watch some sports on sunday, it's hard to remember on saturday afternoons to pick up beer for the next day :lol:

brian

I have gotten used to it over the years. Is it that hard to come prepared? Is it that hard to stash and extra 12 pack?

Seriously though. If you visit the liquor stores around Colorado you will notice that there are the same people working 10am-12pm 6 days a week. Why not be prepared, give them your money on Saturday and give these people a day off? The real concern on my part is that we will see the last of the "mom & pops" disappear to the fact that they cannot compete with the supermarket liquors. I come from Wyoming where it is legal to buy beer on Sunday. The alcoholics there have nothing better to do but drive drunk on Sunday afternoon and cause fatal accidents. It happens too much!

Long story short: I like the inconvenience of the "No beer on Sunday" rule. Not because of religion but because most of the population are 9-5ers and should be thinking about the week ahead with a clear head.

I know there are a lot of other states that are the same way. You can actually buy beers in CO from grocery stores on Sunday but they are "3.2" beers. I know in NY they have the same law but you can't even get beer from grocery stores on Sunday. There is a shutter on the beer section that comes down on Sunday! :eek:

It's a bit of PITA during football season for me, but not the end of the world.

I know there are a lot of other states that are the same way. You can actually buy beers in CO from grocery stores on Sunday but they are "3.2" beers. I know in NY they have the same law but you can't even get beer from grocery stores on Sunday. There is a shutter on the beer section that comes down on Sunday! :eek:

It's a bit of PITA during football season for me, but not the end of the world.

Interestingly, here in the springs at least, you can get micro-brews (non-3.2) on Sundays too from grocery stores...
:spin:

Interestingly, here in the springs at least, you can get micro-brews (non-3.2) on Sundays too from grocery stores...

I guess I'm going have to make a drive down to the Springs on Sunday's if they don't get this law passed... :lol:

I think that is right... Sunday liquor sales have not been allowed in Colorado since 1933, when Prohibition was lifted.

The law against liquor sales on Sunday stems back a great deal further than Prohibition. It's actually a part of what's referred to as a Blue Law that was "designed to enforce moral standards". Blue laws are also the reason car dealerships are still closed on Sundays. The 3.2 law does come from the post-Prohibition period though.

The real concern on my part is that we will see the last of the "mom & pops" disappear to the fact that they cannot compete with the supermarket liquors.

I'd bet "mom & pop" stores probably aren't super worried about the liquor outlets because there will always be a place for the liquor store on the corner as personally I don't want to have to run across town to the liquormart just because I ran out of gin.

The bigger threat is supermarkets. If they are allowed to sell liquor and/or higher ABW (Alcohol By Weight) beers they will take a large chunk out of local liquor store sales and most likely make it so that the large liquormarts will be the only places able to still compete. However, the independent liquor store lobby aided now by the microbreweries has been able to block all attempts to repeal the 3.2 beer law for a while now. Link

There are a couple of things going on with this.

1. The stores don't care and the law isn't strictly enforced because nobody really cares. Obviously you don't see the grocery store selling 151 but the occasional case of Flying Dog doesn't matter.

2. It may actually be a different brew. Granted same label same everything except the fine print says it's actually 3.2% ABW when the "regular" version is 4.9% ABW. The difference in taste isn't noticable by the average consumer.

3. ABW (Alcohol By Weight) vs. ABV (Alcohol By Volume). Long story short ABW is about 20-25% less than ABV for beer so it may just be a labeling issue. For the mathematicians and engineers (Ted :D) Link

I guess I'm going have to make a drive down to the Springs on Sunday's if they don't get this law passed... :lol:

Just keep a 6-pack on hand if not more. It'll save you time and gas plus frequent trips to the liquor store are never a bad thing because there's always something new out to try. Personally I always make sure I have atleast 4 of them in the basement so I have choices. :D

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

i am for sunday liquor sales

i am against super walmart selling liquor

moms and pops dont NEED to be opened on sundays

it allows those who WANT to sell liquor on sunday, sell liquor

yes. it's always the same person ringing the liquor out for me, but it is also their choice not to hire anyone else.

this thread made me go get a 6-pack. 90 schilling ale waiting for sunday to do the HIDs lol.

but in all honesty, do any of you guys actually buy the 3.2%?

i bought it once, my first time in colorado, at the super market. spending most of my life in pa & nj (so i was very excited to see beer!), you can't buy beer where you get your cheetos and toilet paper -shortly after drinking i wondered why the elevation wasn't getting me tanked after a few beers, and i realized it was 3.2%. never again lol, i'd rather just spray some brake cleaner into a bag and start huffin'. (kidding!)

brian

yes. it's always the same person ringing the liquor out for me, but it is also their choice not to hire anyone else.

agreed!! (sorry for double post!)

brian

Fortunately this is one scenario Uncle Sam got right:

!!!!24hour shopette Ft.Carson Co, hard liqueur&cold beer 24hours a day and 7 days a week. And the real stuff none of the watered down grocery bs. Its no liqueur store but...It does have a completely stocked ailse with all the essentials!!!!

Ive gone to the liqueur store next to my old apartment on a sunday so manytimes only to walk up to the locked door and pull on it like a idiot.

edit: suppose this is one time where my southern arse is all about Ferderal > State government

True that yo.

This is a good thread..... very nice!!

I agree. Let those who want to sell liquor on Sunday do it, but dont kll the dreams of all the mom and pop stores, so kep it out of the grocery stores. If you sell food, you have to keep it at 3.2. They are already running a profitable business.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Well put KA81. I agree.

Shifting to the 3.2 beer. I think it is all psychological. I had a girlfriend that moved here from out of state and was unaware of the grocery stores carrying "less potent" adult beverages. Sometimes when she would come over I would asker her to pick up a 6 pack. I never knew the difference until we went shopping one day and she told me that all those six packs of beer she brought over were always from the grocery store....then again we weren't drinking them to get drunk.

Try it out on someone sometime and see if they notice.

3.2 beer vs the "regular" stuff at 4.2 or 5.3 isn't going to make that big of a difference in drunkeness or taste. When you start getting up into the 6%, 8% or 12% beer then you'll be able to taste the change and feel the kick a little more. :D
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Archived