LegacyGT.com

Additional Stage 2

Whats up..I plan on going stage 2, but I would like to maximize my tuning time, so I want to add something along with with a catless dp. I know an intake, and a catback wont yield much, if any performance gains, so Im wondering what would be the next best mod to do? I was thinking top mount? or should I just jump right to a vf-52, with a pretty conservative tune? (pump and injectors to come later down the line) Again, I dont want to spend the money for a pro tune, just for a new dp, so what would be the next best bang for the buck? Thanks alot

Yes youll definently want a catless uppipe before tht tune. Either gut the stocker or get a new one. Honestly on the stock turbo i dont really feel that the 700 dolar price tag for headers is really worth a ~10hp gain. Id just buy the vf52 instead of the headers if you were to spend that 700 extra. It may just be worth it to wait a little longer and save up for a new top mount, injectors, fuel pump, turbo then tune.

yes, you can safely run more boost on a aftermarket tmic. The OEM one dosen't like to much boost.

You can put a smalled pill in the vacuum line at the T on the turbo and get more boost. I'm running 21psi

You 'll need a 2.2k ohm resistor when you remove the egt probe.

You'll need some way to tune and data log. Cobb AP v2 or a cable to your lap top if your good with that kind of stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Op, I want to congratulate you for doing things the "right" way btw. Far too many owners throw parts at their car one at a time, some even neglect to re-tune with the addition/change of things they consider insignificant. Make yourself a list, as you are already, source all of the parts and install them at once. Try to get yourself a base map so that the car can be driven to your tuner. Resist the urge to drive with any of the exhaust mods mentioned before being tuned. Catless UP/DP on a stock tune can lead to very very very bad things. Boost creep, nasty AFR's, detonation, catastrophic engine failure, basically anything.

In short, +1 to you.

The 2.2K resistor, I assume the chassis side connector is just a two terminal female spade that I can plug this resistor into? So if I get some heat shrink and cover it all nice it should be good from the elements?

OP, you didn't concur on getting a catless UP, but it's highly recommended. Catless UP, catted (IMHO) DP and a tune will be a nice bump in power.

The 2.2K resistor, I assume the chassis side connector is just a two terminal female spade that I can plug this resistor into? So if I get some heat shrink and cover it all nice it should be good from the elements?

OP, you didn't concur on getting a catless UP, but it's highly recommended. Catless UP, catted (IMHO) DP and a tune will be a nice bump in power.

Correct its a female plug the the resistor goes into. Just trim the ends of the resistors pins a bit and plug it in. I just electrical taped the whole connector with the resistor in it. I go mudding and flew through a huge watery muddy puddle about 20 feet wide at ~50mph and no problems.

whats the difference, if any, in hp between a catted dp and one with no cat? i want to go cat so my car doesnt smell like gas, wont it sound a little better as well? no popping or back firing with the stock catback?

IMHO, all daily driven street cars should have cats, even a high flow cat is better than nothing. If you eliminate the cat in the up pipe, that's the big power robber. I'd be shocked if there were a 2BHP difference between catted and catless DPs.

I run a Cobb catted DP, and an STI catless UP on my LGT, which is my 1000 mile/month DD. On my Z32 which sees maybe 1500 miles a year, I'm wide open from filter to muffler.

Yup the power difference is extremely small. In states with strict emissions just go safe and get catted. Can still hear a little turbo spool with catted too :)

I hear plenty of turbo spool, and BPV discharge as well. Car sounds great now :)

Archived