LegacyGT.com

ACT HD clutch with tsk3 kit review

05lgt5spd

Ok, so i just had my mechanic install the hd5mm ACT HD street disk along with a stock 06 wrx flywheel. Just giving my opinion so far on how it feels. I have only put about 80 miles on it so far. Engagement of the clutch feels alot shorter. Almost like less travel to engage it. The stock feel seemed as if it just took forever to engage. Pedal does seem a tad bit stiffer. My mechanic also installed the TSK3 tranquil kit throwout bearing. I have no chatter on acceleration/engagement. I do have a small amount on delereration/engagement. So far I don't have any weird noises that I have heard to be common with this setup. I'm not sure if anyone else has used the TSK3 kit, but I will keep everyone informed on how its working. My stock clutch flywheel/pressure plate was in bad shape. Along with my throwout bearing. The surfaces of the fly and pp, were blue and purple, big time warping and hot spots. Hopefully this holds up better than stock!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm saving my pennies for this setup. My car has 52k miles on the stock clutch and it's still holding the power. However I never, ever launch it.

Silverstar - which injectors are you using for 23psi burning e85? If I run 16psi my 816's are in the 95% range, which makes me just a bit twitchy.

05lgt5spd - did you install the tranquil sleeve as well, or just the throwout bearing?

I installed the tranquil sleeve kit/bearing. Thats mainly why I started this thread. I dont think I have found any reviews or follow ups on this kit. Everyone complains about noise with these clutches, so far I have none. That could change, but If it works for me, im sure it would solve the annoying problem for others. Im running 22psi-20psi E85. I just went with 740's. Mostly I run the 20lb map. I haven't even ran the 22psi yet. My clutch has been shot since 3 days after my dyno tune. This clutch feels so much better, I have 70k on my car, and it was the original. It should have been replaced awhile ago

That's really nice to hear. Lot of recent comments about the ACT HD having some chatter or gear noise. Personally, I consider the price difference between a new stock TO bearing and the tranquil SSK to be worth the upgrade price.

Yeah, i agree, i figured if im going to spend about a grand for parts and labor, whats another $160 for peace on mind. So far 150k, no chatter, nothing at all, feels awesome. I think most people experience chatter within the break in period most

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In for more updates as well.

As I just posted in another thread I think I've got a bad TOB at the least and maybe a slipping clutch as well. Not sure exactly. I get some "shuddering" when engaging first when the car is cold. It goes away when warmed up but still has me worried.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the "combo" WRX flywheel, ACT HD Clutch and tranquil TSK kit with sleave

SKU: SNOUT3 Price: $145.00

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2255&idcategory=0#details

Love it. NO problems at all. My buddy did the exact same clutch and flywheel without the TSK and his squeaks

TSK - well worth the money. Think of it this way too. - your snout will never wear out!

That's really nice to hear. Lot of recent comments about the ACT HD having some chatter or gear noise. Personally, I consider the price difference between a new stock TO bearing and the tranquil SSK to be worth the upgrade price.

I researched a lot about this before I had my clutch replaced (ACT HDMM "street modified"). I became convinced that the chatter was more of an issue with light weight flywheels such as the ACT streetlight. I chose the heavier '06wrx/'07oem flywheel for this reason and passed on the tsk3. I can hear a very subtle rattle noise when I let off the clutch and let the car slow itself down but it is so minor I don't consider it an issue at all.

Originally posted by goneskiian:

In for more updates as well.

As I just posted in another thread I think I've got a bad TOB at the least and maybe a slipping clutch as well. Not sure exactly. I get some "shuddering" when engaging first when the car is cold. It goes away when warmed up but still has me worried.

Hey goneskiian. If you do need to replace your clutch I highly recommend this combo. Don't let talk of firmer pedals and instant grip scare you. After only a day or two it feels so "normal" you start to forget what the stock felt like.

Hope this helps,

Hanslo

Edit: by normal I mean comfortable and controlable etc. there is a performance feel/gain from the clutch's grip and shorter pedal travel during engagement.

Thanks Hanslo.

It's very strange but the shuddering has gone as of lately. I don't know what to think. I'm a bit worried about the horror stories of the TOB seizing and shredding the tranny so I will most definitely getting the TSK3 kit on there when I do.

Archived