LegacyGT.com

ABS kicking in?

dark_templer_102

Sorry I searched this, but I'm not even sure if its the ABS system.

Starters I have an 05 LGT with F1 eagles and Stage 1 if that matters

So at an install day we just had enough time to install the RSB, and then me and my friend found a somewhat large parking lot. He messed around in his Z, and i just wanted to see what the RSB did to my basically stock car. So I basically just went in circles...

Eventually, I just made an extremely sharp turn and I felt like pulsing thud-thud-thuding. At first I thought it was wheels looseing and gaining traction (it was raining), but it was too consistent. However, I thought ABS engages only if you are actually using the brakes, but I didn't even touch them.

And again, sorry if i just miss-read some information or theres another topic on this. Thanks!

I actually think its the steering rack moving around but I have not been able to pinpoint it. On very sharp turns, I have heard the same "thud" sounds, especially if I go into the corner too fast. So, I don't know for sure what it is either, but its not the ABS. AWD is full-time, but it might the the crappy open front diff dealing with different wheel speeds.. :iam:

You're right about ABS kicking in only when the brakes are applied. ABS basically just "lets off" the brakes, so even if it did kick it, you wouldn't feel it if the brakes weren't on in the first place. You might hear it, but it's more of a tap-tap-tap sound.

Noise from the front diff doesn't make any sense to me either. Being an open diff makes it the even less likely to make noise than any other style of diff. The whole deal with open diffs is that they offer no resistance to differences in wheel speed (well, almost no resistance - I don't mean to imply that they are magically frictionless).

AWD is full time and ought to be very smooth, unless it's very broken. I think GTSubie was just joking. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any new theories to offer, though. :(

I've noticed an odd 'thud'ing noise in the front of my car as well, but i've only heard it do it when I turn sharply over uneven ground. For instance, when I take a right to pull into the parking garage at the mall here, theres a small storm grate sunk into the road right in front of the entrance. So basically, my right front tire goes down from the road to on the grate, then quickly back up onto the pavement of the parking garage entrance. Meanwhile, my left front tire only goes from the road to the slightly elevated parking garage pavement. (Hopefully that makes sense)

This makes me believe it's some sort of suspension noise, swaybar/endlink noise, maybe? I'm still riding on the stock suspension and sways, btw.

I've noticed an odd 'thud'ing noise in the front of my car as well, but i've only heard it do it when I turn sharply over uneven ground. For instance, when I take a right to pull into the parking garage at the mall here, theres a small storm grate sunk into the road right in front of the entrance. So basically, my right front tire goes down from the road to on the grate, then quickly back up onto the pavement of the parking garage entrance. Meanwhile, my left front tire only goes from the road to the slightly elevated parking garage pavement. (Hopefully that makes sense)

This makes me believe it's some sort of suspension noise, swaybar/endlink noise, maybe? I'm still riding on the stock suspension and sways, btw.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

This is a AWD limited slip issue. It is not a problem. It can happen in snow, dirt or in slippery pavement conditions when the wheel is hard over. The stutter is the diff locking and unlocking. Not to worry!!!:)

It got me worried at first, until I could recreate it on dirt with ease! At low speed is when it is noticeable

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Check your RSB...some of them move side to side under heavy loads..there is a fix for it. If it is a Whiteline bar, look on their website. I had the same thing and did the "Whiteline" fix....no more issues. If it is a Whiteline bar the fix is a FREE upgrade from their website.

The TSB is about motor mounts for an H6, so I think it's unlikely.

Robinlsb has the best theory yet IMO... Tight turn = front and rear output shafts have different speeds = viscous coupling in the center diff binds up = wheels scrub because you're on a slightly slippery surface = axles at same speed = diff unbinds = output shafts have different speeds again = repeat. And that's what happened, it's nothing to worry about. Did the car slow down slightly when this happened? As if you'd applied the brakes lightly?

Sorry I searched this, but I'm not even sure if its the ABS system.

Starters I have an 05 LGT with F1 eagles and Stage 1 if that matters

So at an install day we just had enough time to install the RSB, and then me and my friend found a somewhat large parking lot. He messed around in his Z, and i just wanted to see what the RSB did to my basically stock car. So I basically just went in circles...

Eventually, I just made an extremely sharp turn and I felt like pulsing thud-thud-thuding. At first I thought it was wheels looseing and gaining traction (it was raining), but it was too consistent. However, I thought ABS engages only if you are actually using the brakes, but I didn't even touch them.

And again, sorry if i just miss-read some information or theres another topic on this. Thanks!

rain you say? Sounds like you did classic understeering. You turned the wheel sharp, and you are actually skipping the tire over the water and the tire is actually grip, slide, grip, slide.. but mostly it's sliding along the way.. If you do it in the dry, it's even more noticable because the shocks can't handle that kind of vibration of the tires being scrubbed badly.. it sounds like a big loud "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" as you understeer.. it's way noticeable when you just turn the wheel too sharp where the tires can't handle the weight of the car to try to change direction.. when you hear tires screeching over the pavement is a straight slide of all tires that are severly overwhelmed of the weight/force of the car's momentum.

if you plan to do circles in a parking lot like that, dont turn the wheel to full-lock.. you will burn out the power steering pump.

Keefe

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpy Bump. I never noticed my thread got this big..

Well i was pulling out a spot and same thing happened today. I was always wondering if it was my tires loosening and gaining grip, but I didn't think about going out to look at the lot.

I just got a RSB from Whiteline...what are the problems that i'm supposed to have..?

The TSB is about motor mounts for an H6, so I think it's unlikely.

Robinlsb has the best theory yet IMO... Tight turn = front and rear output shafts have different speeds = viscous coupling in the center diff binds up = wheels scrub because you're on a slightly slippery surface = axles at same speed = diff unbinds = output shafts have different speeds again = repeat. And that's what happened, it's nothing to worry about. Did the car slow down slightly when this happened? As if you'd applied the brakes lightly?

Not a theory

Bumpy Bump. I never noticed my thread got this big..

Well i was pulling out a spot and same thing happened today. I was always wondering if it was my tires loosening and gaining grip, but I didn't think about going out to look at the lot.

I just got a RSB from Whiteline...what are the problems that i'm supposed to have..?

It is not the RSB, forgetttaboutitttttt

just practice driving the car, it helps if you have a high performance instructor to help you along the way as well because there may be some things (such as this very thread is a good example) is what an instructor knows what is happening with the car while you driving and can tell you want happens or what you can do to make the best sound decision to prevent bad things from happening.
Keefe

Archived