LegacyGT.com

ABS defeat?

LittleBlueGT

On my 00 Maxima I wired in an ABS defeat switch. I took out a fuse that powerd the ABS system. Wired in some connectors that used a relay to trick the car into thinking the fuse was blown. Used the blank spot in the dash (meant for dealer installed fogs) for the switch. Because I used the fuse location to tap into the ABS it meant cutting no wires, and is easy to take out if I had a problem. Totally transparent to the dealer if I removed.

It worked well. If I turned the switch on the ABS would quit as soon as it tried to work (about .1 of a sec). To get the ABS back on again I would have to turn the switch off and cycle the key, and then wait a couple of secs for the car to go through its checks and enable ABS again.

I had this for 5 years with no problems. Many times on the way home from work there would be a sheet of ice otherwise known as an intersection that I could break much better with threshold techniques vs ABS. With the Maxima it was very hard to threshold break without the ABS taking over.

Think this would work for the LGT? If so then what fuse to take out?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A common misconception about ABS is that it always shortens stopping distances.. This is not the primary purpose of ABS, which is directional control. By keeping all the wheels rotating at the same rate (threshold of the lowest traction tire) the vehicle will maintain directional stability much better. In addition, ABS allows for easier control of the vehicle while maneuvering in slippery situations (i.e. to avoid something in the road) or during split-mu traction situations which have a tendency to send the car into an uncontrollable spin.

Ultimate stopping distances on loose surfaces will be longer with ABS due to the lack of buildup of substrate in front of the wheels which have a beneficial effect on stopping distances. However, the shorter distance comes with a sacrifice in vehicle control and directional stability.

Having said that, you think you're smarter than the ABS, so there's a fuse in the underhood box for the ABS power supply. However, you will likely set a C0109 DTC and will probably lose your speedometer and set some other DTCs in the ECM. Some may illuminate the MIL until reset by a code scanner, and your dealer will see the history codes if you don't clear them (you can't always clear with a battery reset either).

just take out the fuse, it's listed in the fuse box. And you dont have to go through all that crazy stuff with cycling the switch.

Unless you are a good braker, no one should need to turn off ABS because the chances of locking up the brakes and letting the car slide is a longer distance with no control is a very bad thing.. threshold braking is the key to the shortest stopping (mixing it with lateral grip to maximize all potential tire grip you can get)..

Keefe

I don't want to take out the fuse, I want to have the choice. MOst of the time I brake with ABS just like everybody else. Sometimes I wish to defeat the ABS for a particular stop.

Which fuse would it be that I can tap into? On my Maxima there were about 4 fuses that ran the ABS. I had to try them all individually to see which one would allow the ABS to come back the quickest after an ABS turn off.

There's only 1 ABS fuse in the LGT, its under the hood.

The problem I have with ABS is that ABS drains your vaccum reservior too fast, if you try to brake again soon afterwards you're screwed. Which is why I take it out for autoX.

• 2 months later...
Unless you are a good braker, no one should need to turn off ABS because the chances of locking up the brakes and letting the car slide is a longer distance with no control is a very bad thing.. threshold braking is the key to the shortest stopping (mixing it with lateral grip to maximize all potential tire grip you can get)..

Time for an update.

Where I live when it is winter the ABS has the ability to be a big hinderance in stopping on ice. I tried some stops last week from 60 kph and it took 60 FEET longer to stop using full ABS vs. threshold.

I am finding that this car is very hard (under certain circumstances) to keep the ABS from activating. In other words it is extremely hard to threshold brake on slick ice w/o getting the ABS to activate. A royal pain IMO.

Thus I am going ahead with the ABS defeat switch.

Anybody have ideas as to where to put the switch? I was thinking beside the wiper heater switch.

I got M3s on right now. Ditched the RE92s within one week.

I find the ABS works great on snow, packed snow, hard-packed snow, even icy conditions. It is the polished (skating rink like) ice that is trouble-some.

The ABS will kick in and the car will seem like it is not slowing down at all, I then ease off on the brake, but it is extremely hard to modulate. I am sure Xenok will say differently, but nobody can effectively threshold brake on polished ice w/o ABS screwing everything up.

I pulled the fuse last night for a while and drove around for a bit. There were a number of situations where I could brake much better w/o ABS.

That being said I still like ABS and want its functionality, hence the defeat switch. Only problem is once it is turned off the key has to be cycled for it to come back on again.

Interesting point. bugblatterbeast

I got the install done, it works flawlessly! I only really use it on glare ice, but when on that kind of ice I can now easily threshold brake and slow down much quicker.

I wouldn't recommend this mod for all, but it is not too hard, and has the ability to really help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On my 00 Maxima I wired in an ABS defeat switch. I took out a fuse that powerd the ABS system. Wired in some connectors that used a relay to trick the car into thinking the fuse was blown. Used the blank spot in the dash (meant for dealer installed fogs) for the switch. Because I used the fuse location to tap into the ABS it meant cutting no wires, and is easy to take out if I had a problem. Totally transparent to the dealer if I removed.

It worked well. If I turned the switch on the ABS would quit as soon as it tried to work (about .1 of a sec). To get the ABS back on again I would have to turn the switch off and cycle the key, and then wait a couple of secs for the car to go through its checks and enable ABS again.

I had this for 5 years with no problems. Many times on the way home from work there would be a sheet of ice otherwise known as an intersection that I could break much better with threshold techniques vs ABS. With the Maxima it was very hard to threshold break without the ABS taking over.

Think this would work for the LGT? If so then what fuse to take out?

You would do the exact same thing.

Keefe

• 8 months later...
Old thread but I would still like to see some pics.

I will take a pic of the small switch.:icon_wink

We had a huge snow storm today (well, medium sized) and I was definitley stopping faster with threshold (ABS defeat) vs ABS.

That being said I still like ABS and want its functionality, hence the defeat switch. Only problem is once it is turned off the key has to be cycled for it to come back on again.
So, all you need is a momentary switch to disable it each time the car is on? That's what I'd prefer ideally - a button that I have to hit every time I drive if I want ABS off - otherwise it's on...

...winter driving again - ABS is pissing me off...

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

So, all you need is a momentary switch to disable it each time the car is on? That's what I'd prefer ideally - a button that I have to hit every time I drive if I want ABS off - otherwise it's on...

...winter driving again - ABS is pissing me off...

My switch will turn off the ABS, but if I turn it back on ABS will stay off until ignition is cycled again. I couldn't find an actual way to on/off it, although while driving I can cycle the ignition if I want cause I have a MT. Don't really recommend that though.

someone could find the power wire for the actual ABS pump and put a switch on that. Then it would cycle on and off with the switch and not throw the ABS light or require a cycle of the key..... i think

Good idea.

Now that have vac pics I should be able to find it.

I also think it would be best to have a switch on the steering wheel or shifter and not on the dash.

Archived