LegacyGT.com

ABS, CHECK ENGINE, CC Light after snow stuck

I got stuck in the snow for about 2 min. yesterday in my outback. Rocked it back and forth and got out on the RE92's. When all was said and done, my check engine light and ABS light were on. I got her home and garaged and shut her down. Today when I fired her up, the ABS light was off, but the check engine light was on and the cruise control light is flashing.

Can anyone explain to me why these came on and what to do to get rid of them/Also whats the common reason for this?

I'm not exactly sure why the CEL came on, but you could probably read the codes using the dash to find out for self. (Search the forums for how to do it on an '05.) BTW, the CC light always comes on with CEL and doesn't indicate any additional seriousness.

This happened to me with some spirited driving on wet roads with RE92. I think the ECU saw significantly different speeds at different wheels and thought something was wrong. After driving a few "cycles" (maybe 20-30 miles), the CEL went off and all was well. I didn't even get a chance to read the code before the light went off on my way home.

--Lee

I had this happen to me on Dec 24th, SAME EXACT thing. In down town Olympia I was successful (and an idiot) in getting my Legacy stuck. YA a combo of low ground clearance and driving into a massive slush pit no good. I was rocking from first to R and ended up with my CEL, CC, and ABS all on. The next morning brought good news and they were all off. However, seems like the ride is a little rougher. Any chance that all the commotion could have thrown off the balance or alignment of the car?

Pray for SUN in the Northwest!

Same thing happened to me tonight. I got stuck on a hill and the CEL, ABS, and Cruise light all came on with the cruise flashing and an er-55 code in the odometer. I shut the car off briefly and lost the ABS light but the CEL and cruise remained. I took it home and plug in my code reader. It came up with the PO-500 code and said speed sensor malfunction. Seems kinda of wierd for an all wheel drive car the throw a CEL when the tires spin to get the car unstuck.

Same thing happened to me tonight. I got stuck on a hill and the CEL, ABS, and Cruise light all came on with the cruise flashing and an er-55 code in the odometer. I shut the car off briefly and lost the ABS light but the CEL and cruise remained. I took it home and plug in my code reader. It came up with the PO-500 code and said speed sensor malfunction. Seems kinda of wierd for an all wheel drive car the throw a CEL when the tires spin to get the car unstuck.

Because that same error code caused by a non-stuck in the snow situation would be a bad thing.

Yep, it's that time of the year. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54774&highlight=CEL

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48611

This is a favorite occurrence, this time of the year. ;)

Remember, everyone, that hardware pulling loose still remains a possibility, especially if you've done this by going through deeper snow (and thus couldn't possibly see what else your car was running over, at the time - i.e. maybe there was a branch down, that pulled off one of the wires...). But don't panic, as it's very, very likely that it's just this little quirk of our LGTs that you're seeing.

This should be stickied stuff, particularly around this time of year, so that newcomers to the BL/BP Legacys won't freak out when they first see this happen.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 11 months later...

Bumping this up.

I just got the P0500 code trying to get my car out of the driveway. Tires spun horribly and threw the code. Did not succeed in in getting out, but cleared the code. If it pops again when I get the car out again, I'll post about it.

On a side note, ultra high performance all-seasons and snow = major FAIL! :mad:

On a side note, ultra high performance all-seasons and snow = major FAIL! :mad:

Sadly, most "ultra high performance all-seasons" tend to be tailored more for milder climates.

There are decently light-snow capable "all-seasons" out there, but the "ultra high performance" category usually means a mutual exclusion.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

all seasons tires = compromise in all conditions.

Troof: I just had this misadventure yesterday, i crapped my pants before I searched, thanks LOA! :)

So if i clear the CEL the CC light will stop flashing? ABS/ER55 already left my dash.

^ Yep, it's the latter. :) Since the tires are now capable of gaining more traction on the wintry-precip. covered surface, since it's less prone to sliding on the slippery stuff, the ABS, of course, won't kick in as soon or as much.

Just remember that even though these tires will give you *much* more forward-motivation capabilities - along with a good bit of extra margins when it comes to both stopping as well as turning - that they're still bound by the laws of physics.

Don't overcook it. The slippery stuff is still slippery, no matter how you cut it. ;)

^For sure. I only got the tires because my other ones were a direct result of me getting stuck. I'm confident that if I had snows on, I would not have gotten stuck. The snows will not change the way I drive in the slippery stuff, only help insure that I have less of a chance of losing control or getting stuck. Thanks for the advice. :)

^For sure. I only got the tires because my other ones were a direct result of me getting stuck. I'm confident that if I had snows on, I would not have gotten stuck. The snows will not change the way I drive in the slippery stuff, only help insure that I have less of a chance of losing control or getting stuck. Thanks for the advice. :)

^ That's the right way to do it! :)

As long as you don't get high-centered (or crash into a ditch, of course! :p), you'll pretty much never get stuck, with winter tires, in the white stuff, on the LGT. :)

Archived