LegacyGT.com

99 2.5 GT- Slave cylinder? or pressure plate

firkus

Here's my situation:

1. Last Thursday clutch gets a little mushy

2. Friday driving down road, when shifting pedal goes to floor and doesn't come back up. Limp to parking lot in gear and shut down

3. Put car in first gear and turn car back on, clutch still at floor. Drive home but can't get car into any other gears.

Troubleshooting stuff:

1. Can move from gear to gear when engine is off.

2. Bled the system and master cylinder reservoir is full with no leaks. Fluid seems to stay at the same level, but pedal still doesn't return after pushing pedal in.

3. When clutch pedal is pushed in, the slave cylinder piston pushes clutch fork lever and piston stays out.

4. Pull the clutch pedal back up and the slave cylinder piston retracts and the fork lever returns to position.

5. The fork lever seems to have some play in it and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Right now as long as I put the car in gear, I can start it and immediately take off, but once I get going I seem to be stuck in gear. I have not tried to RPM match to shift, because it just seems too dangerous when I have to pull the clutch pedal back up.

I guess I'm hoping this is related to the slave or master cylinder and not something like a pressure plate or return bearing. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for the fast response Rao. Definitely not what I want to hear because I could at least do the slave and master myself, but I don't think I have the required abilities to remove the transaxle and support the engine.

If it was the slave or master cylinder, what would I be experiencing?

Since you can see the slave moving the clutch fork that part of the system seems to be working. If the slave or the master were shot the clutch fork wouldn't be moving, or not be moving all of the way, or it would move and then return with t he pedal still on the floor.

Archived