LegacyGT.com

Video from Detroit

I made a video walk-around of the new Legacy GT. The web server is a little slow so it won't stream very well, you're better off saving it to your computer first. [url=http://www.nspr.com/ken/Legacy_GT_640.wmv]Large 28 MB version[/url] [url=http://www.nspr.com/ken/Legacy_GT_320.wmv]Smaller 6.6 MB version[/url] Let me know what ya think, Ken

[quote name='titsataki']Did you take a look at the brakes? I could not see well but they looked different than the WRX (US) brakes. Did they put the 4 pistons/2 pistons front/rear? Cheers Nick[/quote] The front brakes are nearly the size of the brembos (318mmx30mm vented) and the rears are 290x18mm vented. The fronts are 2-piston sliding caliper and the rears are single-piston sliding caliper. The brembos are 4-piston fixed calipers while the rears are 2-piston fixed calipers. The brakes on the new Legacy should be more than adequate, especially with good stainless brake lines like a set of Stoptechs and soem good pads.

[quote name='titsataki']Did you take a look at the brakes? I could not see well but they looked different than the WRX (US) brakes. Did they put the 4 pistons/2 pistons front/rear? Cheers Nick[/quote] HOPEFULLY, they are the same brakes that Japan gets. They are 2/1 brakes, but they are very efficient with larger pistons using floating calipers.

[quote name='SUBE555'][quote name='titsataki']Did you take a look at the brakes? I could not see well but they looked different than the WRX (US) brakes. Did they put the 4 pistons/2 pistons front/rear? Cheers Nick[/quote] The front brakes are nearly the size of the brembos (318mmx30mm vented) and the rears are 290x18mm vented. The fronts are 2-piston sliding caliper and the rears are single-piston sliding caliper. The brembos are 4-piston fixed calipers while the rears are 2-piston fixed calipers. The brakes on the new Legacy should be more than adequate, especially with good stainless brake lines like a set of Stoptechs and some good pads.[/quote] I see. I know the brembos are lookers as well as solid performers but I understand they are not the only solution. Stoptechs are 4 piston right? I am sure with a set of stainless lines and some good quality fluid and more agressive pads will be fine. Cheers Nick

another side now. Anyone has a undercarriage pic of the new Legacy. How many cats how is the exchaust routed. Where is it connecting in the Y pipe. Where I am going to is that hoe compatible is with the existing downpipes. I see that upgrading the intercooler may take the plastic covers off... More info :) Cheers Nick

The stoptechs are available, but with the 12.3" front rotors (which require a min of 17" wheels) and 11.3" out back, both vented, a good set of stainless lines and pads should take care of any deficiencies for the most part. The guys from Team SMR don't recommend them unless you are VERY serious into racing, like constant track days and such. Even if you do a lot of mountain driving, the stock brakes on there shouldn't have a problem staying fade-free.

[quote name='titsataki']another side now. Anyone has a undercarriage pic of the new Legacy. How many cats how is the exchaust routed. Where is it connecting in the Y pipe. Where I am going to is that hoe compatible is with the existing downpipes. I see that upgrading the intercooler may take the plastic covers off... More info :) Cheers Nick[/quote] I don't remember if it has been "confirmed" or not from the NAIAS show if there was an up pipe or not. I want to say that it does have one, but I could be wrong. The pre-production Forester XT didn't have an up-pipe, but the production model DOES have 3 cats. My guess is that there is going to be 3 cats like the WRX and F-XT. This is good news to me as those are easy ways to extract hp. I'm a bit nervous about the intercooler for upgrades because that plastic surround serves a function of directing the air from the scoop to all pass into the intercooler instead of cooling the engine down. That and the angle of the intercooler are ways in which the intercooler is so much more efficient. At least there will be time for others to be the guinea pigs.

[quote name='PPower'][quote name='titsataki']another side now. Anyone has a undercarriage pic of the new Legacy. How many cats how is the exchaust routed. Where is it connecting in the Y pipe. Where I am going to is that hoe compatible is with the existing downpipes. I see that upgrading the intercooler may take the plastic covers off... More info :) Cheers Nick[/quote] I don't remember if it has been "confirmed" or not from the NAIAS show if there was an up pipe or not. I want to say that it does have one, but I could be wrong. The pre-production Forester XT didn't have an up-pipe, but the production model DOES have 3 cats. My guess is that there is going to be 3 cats like the WRX and F-XT. This is good news to me as those are easy ways to extract hp. I'm a bit nervous about the intercooler for upgrades because that plastic surround serves a function of directing the air from the scoop to all pass into the intercooler instead of cooling the engine down. That and the angle of the intercooler are ways in which the intercooler is so much more efficient. At least there will be time for others to be the guinea pigs.[/quote] You mean it did not have a cat in the up pipe> Or it did not have an up pipe at all? Did I miss something? I agree on the intercooler plus it seems that the intecooler opening is smaller than the WRX or the STi. On the other hand is less pronounced and more low key. Cheers Nick

I believe the FXT and new GT both have 3 cats in addition to the WRX which is basically fact. That equals a cat in the up-pipe, one in the downpipe, and one just behind that. Wish I had a pic off hand, I will post as soon as I find one again. The reason for the cross-flow intercooler and the low-profile scoop is efficiency. What many do not realize is the scoop on the Legacy models have always been WAY more effective than any Impreza of the same size due to aerodynamics. The cross-flow intercooler is actually a good bit deeper than the regular ICs and the flow patterns are smoother like a FMIC without the lenghtly piping. We get the best of both worlds IMHO, low profile hood scoop along with a real nice CD, something the Impreza could only wish for. The questions will come up when the ICs get changed with turbo upgrades, I have some ideas how this may be remedied, but nothing for certain at this point as I haven't see what has been coming out of Japan.

A pic would be nice if it can be found. From my own experience I know that when 3 cats are present removal of the uppipe cat makes quite a difference. further more the removal of the downpipe cat and replacement of the mid pipe cat with a high flow cat would yield a solid amount of hp (possibly 20 to 30 hp with tuning). cheers Nick

Archived