LegacyGT.com

Stick or Auto

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stick. I don't trust the auto to be able to handle the extra power I will want to add over time. This assumes that it gets to be fully my car. If it has to be shared with the wife, I'm sure an automatic will be in the cards. But then if I'm looking at an automatic, I may have to go back and reconsider a G35 since performance obviously wouldn't be all about the performance any more. The automatic's performance is going to be crutial since that's the majority of what will sell. I just haven't been impressed with the reviews I've seen so far of the automatic. There has been some kind of sticking up for the auto that it may be quirky for about the first 5000 miles or so. That doesn't bode well for magazine tests and new car test drives. I would hate to be the salesman trying to say, "Yes, it's not as good as XXXX's auto right now, but it will be after you've broken it in. You're just going to have to trust me." "Yeah right!" they think to themselves.

I'm bad at being able to bring up the specific reviews, but there have been several from the UK that gave less than glowing reviews of the automatic. It was said to be slow in its shifts like the computer was having difficulty determining what gear it needed. It might have been Autocar or EVO that gave the explanation that this was somewhat typical of Subaru automatics and it would undoubtedly improve after a few thousand (5k?) miles. I'm guessing that this break-in period is really a learning curve for the auto's computer and would thus shift more or less sporty depending on how it was driven during this learning time. For whatever it's worth, the Magneti-Marelli F1/Cambiacorsa transmissions in Ferrari/Maserati do this as well. They "learn" to shift more aggressively or conservative depending on how it is driven in the first few thousand miles.

I am on the fence. I would like to try the auto, but I think that it might be a waste of time in a car like this. It just seems like a luxury car needs an auto. I might be going crazy. I like the idea of switching gears from the wheel though :D Although I don't trust the auto to provide adequate performance.

I actually like the E-Shift in my IS300 so I will buy the GT with the 5 AT "SportShift", also my wife does not drice a MT...how sad! We might see a Transmission oil cooler mod for the 5 AT models if overheating seems to be a problem (simple mod).

[quote name='AMT4SWA']I actually like the E-Shift in my IS300 so I will buy the GT with the 5 AT "SportShift", also my wife does not drice a MT...how sad! We might see a Transmission oil cooler mod for the 5 AT models if overheating seems to be a problem (simple mod).[/quote] I've had my GT since mid-November and it's been through a Brisbane summer with many 40+°C days, some heavy driving and no sign of over-heating. There was a sticker on the driver's door (it got removed the first day) warning that if the AT Temp. light came on don't drive it in manual mode. Why did I get the Auto? No choice in Australia yet - the rumour is there'll be a 6-speed manual offered around September, so the US might get it on release. I'm pretty happy with the auto - it's got some real smart electronics controlling it.

[quote name='"gtmy04"']Why did I get the Auto? No choice in Australia yet - the rumour is there'll be a 6-speed manual offered around September, so the US might get it on release. I'm pretty happy with the auto - it's got some real smart electronics controlling it.[/quote] Hmmmm...interesting. Is it a lightened version of the 6-speed? The word has been that the existing speed (seen in the STi) is too heavy for the Legacy. Kevin

[quote name='Tide']Most likely stick here, although I will test drive the new sport shift before making a final decision. My girlfriend though probably won't let me get an automatic. What's odd about that. :lol:[/quote] same here. :) we must have cool g/fs dR

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='gtmy04']Why did I get the Auto? No choice in Australia yet - the rumour is there'll be a 6-speed manual offered around September, so the US might get it on release. I'm pretty happy with the auto - it's got some real smart electronics controlling it.[/quote] Hmmmm...interesting. Is it a lightened version of the 6-speed? The word has been that the existing speed (seen in the STi) is too heavy for the Legacy. Kevin[/quote] I believe it is a new or substantially new box - not the one currently in the WRX STi. This would explain the delay in the release.

[quote name='dark_rex'][quote name='Tide']Most likely stick here, although I will test drive the new sport shift before making a final decision. My girlfriend though probably won't let me get an automatic. What's odd about that. :lol:[/quote] same here. :) we must have cool g/fs dR[/quote] She wanted to register here as Mrs. Tide. I had to say no to that. Were not married yet! But hey at least she's cool with my new Legacy addiction. :D

I really think there will be a 6 spd MT down the road (06 or later model year), but it will be a part of a higher Hp/Trq model variant like a STI version or something similar. They want the car to get into the market place here and get sorted first, then they will bring a higher performance version...we will get the cake first and then they will serve the ICE CREAM! :lol:

gtmy04, could you give us a review of the automatic? Have you driven any other cars with this type transmission to be able to compare its shifting speed or anything? As I've written above, I just haven't been impressed with other manual shifting automatics. Maybe this would be a good opportunity to test out an Altezza or something.

Any clue how the sport shift will perform? I've never driven one. Do modern sport shifts provide smooth and almost instantaneous shifts? Are there annoying overrides that prevent a shift in certain situations? I've been planning on getting a manual, but an auto would be nice in rush hour traffic or when I have food in my lap (shame on me!). Is an auto with sport shift really the best of both worlds or is it a bad compromise? Also, as I understand it, the AWD system is different between the auto and manual. Which is considered superior? Thanks for any insights.

Archived