LegacyGT.com

6mt abuse

bakabakablah

Hello everyone. I've been a long-time lurker on these boards and figured that I might as well use up my first post on something constructive and ask about my transmission :lol:

I did do a search on how much abuse a 6mt tranny can take (searched using the two most obvious words "transmission abuse") before grenading/failing. Some say that since it's lifted from the STi the 6mt is near bulletproof as opposed to the 5mt which is "like glass"... so which is it? And by abuse I don't mean launching or anything but the occasional failure to rev-match perfectly or staying on the clutch a little bit too long (as a new driver to stick, I've done this a few times when panicking) or letting out the clutch a bit too fast and jerking the car around. I understand that for most people that kind of stuff doesn't normally fall under abuse but for someone as anal as I am about maintaining the car, it worries me a bit (enough to post here, anyway).

Any insight would be appreciated!

And as a side note, the auto-search feature when inputting the title is a very nice touch... I wish some of the other forums I visit would have that feature :mad:

The 5mt in the Legacy is not "like glass", it's actually a pretty robust unit that can safely handle 300-350wtq for a good while without problem. (For comparison, that's 50% more wtq than stock)

The 6mt in the Spec.B. is not lifted from the STI, but is still extremely strong and robust and can take loads of abuse and higher power levels. It also, supposedly, has a better clutch in it than the Legacy 5mt, which is known to have a "weak" clutch.

Failure to rev-match perfectly is not a concern on either transmission. Staying on the clutch too long is a bit more of a concern on the 5mt stock clutch, but clutches are wear items anyway :)

The 5mt in the Legacy is not "like glass", it's actually a pretty robust unit that can safely handle 300-350wtq for a good while without problem. (For comparison, that's 50% more wtq than stock)

The 6mt in the Spec.B. is not lifted from the STI, but is still extremely strong and robust and can take loads of abuse and higher power levels. It also, supposedly, has a better clutch in it than the Legacy 5mt, which is known to have a "weak" clutch.

Failure to rev-match perfectly is not a concern on either transmission. Staying on the clutch too long is a bit more of a concern on the 5mt stock clutch, but clutches are wear items anyway :)

It essentially is, although the part #s for gears different. Same case, same shafts. For all intents and purposes is as stong as 6MT.

You are. The 6MT in the SpecB doesn't have DCCD. Otherwise, the trans is essentially the same.

As for "abuse", it's all up to you. You can break anything.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Sorry, I'm thinking of the diff differences aren't I?

Of course, front diff is open and the center is viscous. I was talking about gearbox internals.

Archived