LegacyGT.com

5spd: mileage on stock clutch

P-UNIT

I realize that it has to do with how the car is driven. however I am just looking for some ball park numbers, I am thinking about picking up an 05 lgt with 63k miles. not sure if its the original clutch or not yet, but i'll assume that it is. What kind of mileage are most people getting out of the stock clutch. This is intended for those of you who dont beat the hell out of the car on a regular basis, this is just going to be a commuter car with some stereo work done. :rolleyes: thanks

We only got about 30k out of the stock clutch on our 05 OBXT. It was replaced under warranty. My wife is a very calm driver. I push the car more, but I only drive it about once a week. I think the clutch failure had more to do with the very vague feel of engagement with this particular clutch. Once we had it replaced, the feedback was much better and I have high hopes for the replacement clutch.

Lesson: test drive the car. If the clutch feels vague, you might consider either asking the seller to throw in a new one or take a pass on the car.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

If the engine is stock it "should" be fine.

I put around 30k miles on my clutch with stage 1 / stage 2. Not sure exactly how much of each, but I'd guess somewhere around 20k miles of that was stage 2. I replaced the stocker at 60k miles and it still had some grab to it. It would slip horribly on a bad launch, but otherwise with normal driving it was still OK.

Test it out. Slip the clutch a bit on a launch and see how it handles it. Try full throttle acceleration in 5th gear (up a hill if you can), see if it slips.

The clutch on my '99 was completely gone at 71,000 miles. But the woman who owned it before me was very short and didn't push it all the way in when she shifted.

That could cause premature wear on your synchros; I don't think that would cause premature wear on the clutch.

My clutch has 40k miles and seems good so far; I hope it lasts until at least 60k.

I'm stock with an '05 LGT and I have 68k. No slippage and no issues. The stink is still there though. :( Reversing on a hill is when it happens, so mostly under load I guess. Otherwise it's been good.

A key part to clutch life and mileage though is highway/city use. I'm about 65/35 so mine will go quite longer.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Lot of "low mileage" but i guess I do drive a total of 100 miles to work each day. I modded mine to stage 2 at about 30K.

If gas keeps going up that quickly I may have to leave my company/project soon.

155k on the original clutch, but i have a 165hp Outback....

If you don't ride it, it'll last for a long while.

^^+1 Always use the brakes to stop and let the car coast in neutral. It's always easier and cheaper to replace brakes than a clutch. My best friend would burn through clutches and trannies because he insisted on shifting into 1st every time he was stopping and you could just hear the synchro's howling in protest and then to top it off, he would re-engage the clutch to slow down further. I never could understand it..

I got over 200,000 on my 97 LGT before I traded for a WRX (must have bene a fluke). 70,000 on my WRX with no problems before I sold it. 60,000 without a hitch on a stage 1 05 LGT.

Lot of "low mileage" but i guess I do drive a total of 100 miles to work each day. I modded mine to stage 2 at about 30K.

If gas keeps going up that quickly I may have to leave my company/project soon.

I just read what I wrote and I don't know how the **** it came out like that but let me reword to what I should have said.

I have 80K on my 05 LGT MT stock clutch. The clutch still feels as good as new or possibly even better because there isn't so much clutch stink.

I modded my car to stage 2 around 30K miles.

My mileage is a bit high as I do about a 100 miles of highway driving a day driving to work.

^^^ You could always look into getting a bike for commute. 250cc gets ~60 mpg or more and 500 cc bikes are ~50 mpg. That's what I'm looking into right now and my commute is ~55 miles a day.

^^^ You could always look into getting a bike for commute. 250cc gets ~60 mpg or more and 500 cc bikes are ~50 mpg. That's what I'm looking into right now and my commute is ~55 miles a day.

sad to say my 500cc bike doesnt get 50mpg, but its worth it. thats without even adding in the cost of oil. I bought two cases of Klots Super Techniplate syn/castor bean mix on ebay last year so that saved some money...

At least I got a free Tuba with my exhaust...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/100_3515.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/100_3512.jpg:wub:

I got over 200,000 on my 97 LGT before I traded for a WRX (must have bene a fluke). 70,000 on my WRX with no problems before I sold it. 60,000 without a hitch on a stage 1 05 LGT.

Sounds right for a properly driven car.

I have a co-worker who got well over 200k on his 4Runner's stock clutch.

Archived