LegacyGT.com

5MT rebuild options?

05pearl

Ok, I have searched and still cannot find my answer. Hence, the new thread.

I have a 2005 LGT with a 5MT and noticed that my 3rd to 4th gear syncro is going out. So, I have been double clutching between the gears :redface:.

I was thinking that if I was going to replace the syncro, should I consider rebuilding the transmission with stronger gearing for power; gear ratios that may be more to my liking... I would likely do a clutch and flywheel upgrade at the same time.

So, does anyone know what options are available for upgrading the 5MT and what the costs would be? Can I buy stronger gear sets / internals and have my tranny rebuilt locally...? Any advise would be appreciated.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^ What he said. Definitely get a front LSD if you're gonna have the transmission apart. That IMHO would be worth it alone. Just do as whitetiger said tho and get the JDM/STI LSD from rallispec. You can find cheaper ones out there but you'd have to make 'modifications' to make it fit.

Hey man,

I am in the same boat as you. The tranny is complaining and I know I am gonna be cracking it open. I have sometimes issues going from 4th to 3rd. I have the LSD on order for over 1 month now. But I would like to know if there are any gear sets out there that would allow me to rev less in 5th.

^^ Yeah. I figured if I had it apart then that would the best time to upgrade. But, I don't beat my tranny to death and have a hard time justifying the cost of those ppg sets for my situation. I don't need a race set, just a nice street tranny that can handle 350-400 whp with no gears or syncros going out on me. I wonder if there are any other options:confused:

6 speed, or you can drive it like a bitch. When i blew up my 3rd gear i sourced a used transmission from a totalled lgt. Sucks having 400whp and not being able to use it, but hey you gotta make sacrifices.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

^^ either way you are talking well over $5K right? For that price, I would consider going back to stock, selling my 05 and getting an 07-09 SpecB

Pretty much unfortunately...

It has put me in the same situation, except im debating parting it out all together.

I found my used transmission for 900 bucks and installed myself in my garage. With labor and installation i figure it would be around 1500.

Check http://car-part.com/ to find junkyards near you.

GL.

I just bought new gears and syncros . Send it out to get cryo treatment and shotpeen don,t know much bout the process but it makes the gears harder an durable.

I dont know how to re-assemble a gearbox. I would assume new gears and syncros would run out to around 800 dollars, then the cryo treatment and shotpeening, then re-installation into the transmission. I'd imagine this is already creeping into $2000 range.

At that point id still want to go with a 6 speed.

I was looking at those. Are those RA gears, full gear sets? I assume the 5MT wrx fits the 5MT LGT? If they are, that may be the way to go for me.

I'd give them a call. Someone on here has a Rallispec built short block and has nothing but praise for their parts so I assume their knowledge and customer service are there to back it up. But I assume the prices listed are for a full set. They list 5 gear ratios under the price and that's followed by install kit pricing.

Hey update here as well please.

I honestly have only about 266 whp and I am happy with that.

Local boy Rich Clarkson had his gearbox apart this summer and he replaced 2 synchros; the gears themselves were ok (I think he is on 18G w/ meth and some 330 whp). I do not need stronger gears cause quite frankly for costs and reliability issues I am gonna stick with Stage 2. But once I open the tranny, I might as well do a bit of upgrades. I am just looking for a fifth gear "upgrade" not for the whole set - but I am not very educated about the options I have)

Ok, I called rallispec. The RA and Sti gearsets are much less expensive than the PPG. But, they are only slightly stronger than our stock 5MT gears. They estimate 15%, but I have no idea how that can be anything more than a guess. RA set ratio is geared closer together and Sti is more like our 5MT as far as gear ratios.

So, I don't really know for sure if these will handle 350-400 whp any better than our current 5MT as we do not know of many people running these gear sets in that power range.

I used to have a 2004 wrx ( stage 2 and full suspension) and those RA gearsets were options for that 5 mt as well. I remember guys discussing them on http://www.ClubWRX.net a little. Maybe poke around there for info.

FWIW most of the guys on that forum would go PPG 1-3 and stock 4-5. Seemed like common idea was that the RA gearsets were barely an upgrade over the STI. The stock WRX 5Mt was a timebomb at anything over 280 - 300 whp.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

overdrive gearing

I would also like to have a taller 5 th gear so I have lower rpm at 65 mph and better gas milage in my 95 legacy. My 5 th gear is a .78 and the 5 th gear from the Justy AWD 5 th gear is a .631. That would be what I want but will that gear fit in my legacy gearbox? Same shaft size and whatnot? Anybody know anything about Justy gearboxes? The dealer wont help.

I just bought new gears and syncros . Send it out to get cryo treatment and shotpeen don,t know much bout the process but it makes the gears harder an durable.

No it doesn't.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What about RA gears? That should be an upgrade over stock without spending mega cash on PPG's. First listing below:

http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm

Actually a downgrade from stock.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived