LegacyGT.com

Is a 5MT LGT capable of 30 mpg hwy?

I've done a lot of searching and it seems that most people are seeing about 24-26 mpg max on the highway in manual Legacy GTs. I remember seeing in a couple of places, people claiming to get near 30 on the hwy. I've also heard that the AP and DP help. I'm planning on getting a Legacy wagon in a few months and I'm trying to justify getting the GT over the 2.5i. Oh yeah, it will be an '05 wagon 5MT. My current '97 Impreza wagon only gets about 25 hwy, so just about anything will be an improvement. Thanks!

-Chris

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've managed ~27 or so in the past with a Cobb Stage I map. However, I got that 27ish MPG by driving 55 (you'd be surprised how much that can bother people :) ) with the cruise control on the whole time. On a recent trip from Delaware to Ohio, I managed around 23/24, but that was a lot of time spent at around 80 give or take a few MPH.

If you drive the car the way that most of us do, well, your MPG isn't going to be all that hot.

-

Jim

The day I bought my LGT i put about 700 miles on it coming home. When I pulled into the gas station from the interstate, filled up, and immediately got back onto the on ramp, and put the car in cruise control at 70. The built in avg. mpg. said I was getting 29ish almost the entire way home.

Whether that actually was 29mpg, I couldn't tell you. But I havent seen that kind of mileage since :)

I tend to average around 20-21 around town (using the built in meter).

--james

I've done a lot of searching and it seems that most people are seeing about 24-26 mpg max on the highway in manual Legacy GTs. I remember seeing in a couple of places, people claiming to get near 30 on the hwy. I've also heard that the AP and DP help. I'm planning on getting a Legacy wagon in a few months and I'm trying to justify getting the GT over the 2.5i. Oh yeah, it will be an '05 wagon 5MT. My current '97 Impreza wagon only gets about 25 hwy, so just about anything will be an improvement. Thanks!

-Chris

On a 1500 mile trip last summer I got 27.6 mpg indicated. Mileage seems to drop off significantly in winter. I've gone from 26.7 down to 24.0 indicated but that's with winter gas, winter driving (cold differentials), donut runs, and new ContiExtremes (215/50-17 @ 38/36) psi). I also always seem to be heading into a headwind on my 40-45 minute commute home which slightly uphill so my best mileage acheiving portion of the drive is @ 65-75 mph but with an airspeed of 75-90 mph.:(

I did 26.8 on a portland to central bc trip roundtrip on the econo map going 70-75mpg with the snow on the transcanadian.. I hit 28 once all downhill from mthood to home on pdx 1.5 ...

30 is unlikely to happen...

Jim

it is be possible. in 2005 when I had my LGT, my wife and I went to a steelers game in Cleveland on christmas even -- drove from knoxville to cleveland and got 31.xx on the way up and 30.xx on the way back. used cruise control most of the way with little/no full throttle goofing off.

in most situations, probably just going to be mid-high 20's because most of us will get on the throttle now and then on the highway and are no on the highway long enough to make a huge difference in MPG.

EDIT, my mpg was not done by the car's MPG computer...they seem to be a little off most of the time. I did mine the normal way before the car MPG computer.

i was just stage 1 at the time. never made it to stage 2 before selling it to a guy in IL.

I would hope for the 2.5 boxer TDI comes to the states next year if you want real good mpg numbers. My wifes car is a vw jetta tdi and she gets mid 40's all the time. They have a 700mile club over on tdiclub.com with guys doing everything to up their milage. One easy thing that really works is setting your tire pressure at 90% sidewall max, but the biggest factor is the driver.

I will move the diesel boxer if they come next year....

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/02/subaru_to_intro.html#more

check out the mpg 2.0l tdi's get ...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Portland is going to mandate all diesel sold is min. 5% biodiesel in the city this summer.

Jim

Wow! Thanks for the fast responses! I kind of figured that 30 was out of the question, but mid to high 20's would be alright with me. I do most of my around town stuff on bike(cycle), so I basically just want to be able to road trip without going broke. It seems that with a light foot, the GT's aren't too far off from the 2.5i's on the highway.

it only happend one time. and i calc by actual fill up not carputer. it was cold out and i bought gas from a citgo station in the middle of nowhere.

never ever managed that milage again although i was constantly getting 26-27 on my trips 240 miles to and from penn state. even stage 2 my milage seemed to be the same, but lately im down to 24-25 max on the highway. my guess is the lower 93 gas and ethanol. i used to only get sunoco ultra 94, but not avail.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Ive heard of people getting around 28. Which is great. My non turbo, 8 year old LGT gets 32 on the highway, but I also have a short ram air intake which def. improved my gas mileage. So would a K & N drop in filter, which would even help out your Impreza, because it should be getting better than that.

FYI, I was in my mom's new RX400h this weekend and it really does get great mileage. And its quiet. They were stuck in traffic on their way to THON this weekend and the gasoline engine was off the entire time. Awesome technology.

PO6781: Yeah, the TDI's are the other option I'm looking at. The only problem is the NOx/particulate emissions and the lack of AWD or even a stock front LSD. I'm looking forward to the Bluetec VW's and hopefully that boxer diesel! Lets hope they bring it here!

I've done half a tank at >30mpg highway. However, the average speed was 50 mph (over 200 miles of road construction). Typical ~70mph average puts me at ~25mpg. This was before the ethanol in the fuel stole 7% of my mileage.

Archived