LegacyGT.com

5EAT transmission querk/problem

mcsquish

I am having an issue with my tranny and I'm not sure how to handle it. I now have 35.5k on my '05 LGT and every once in a while (around 6 times since I bought it a little over a year ago) when I put the car into drive, it doesn't go into drive for an extra couple seconds. Since I think the car has shifted into drive like normal, I try to take off and then it goes into drive; I about cry from the fear that I have just killed the tranny from the huge jerk. This doesn't throw a code so I'm sure the dealer will say they can't fix it without it throwing one. Plus my original warranty is about over and really don't want the tranny to go out after it ends. At first I thought it might be because the 30K maintenance was coming up, but it has done it since then.

Or a very long story short, it doesn't always go into drive when I shift into drive for a few extra seconds than normal.

Any help would be very helpful.

Holy crap, now that was quick!

No towing, brake torquing, heavy loads, or mods (yet;))

I did a couple searches on here for help, but no luck and gave up. Thanks for correcting me on the length of warranty!

I actually have a good dealer I am planning to take it to for a different warranty problem, rust.

tme for IPT.

do you tow anything around with ur lgt?

any long rides with alot of weight on the car?

what kind of mods?

have you brake torqued at all?

my theory for possible malfunctions...

people going from reverse to d while still rolling.

me? i always go to a complete stop then shift. wait 2 seconds then roll. i dunno about most but in every auto i have owned (including the 07 gt 5eat) i can feel the tranny kicking around till it settles into gear.

I took it in and had a scan run, if course nothing was found, but there is a record now.

Richard, for me, going from R to D without stopping makes me cringe. I have the same pattern as you, but every once in a while when it should be in drive it isn't. So when I release the brake and push the gas it goes CLUNK and I get a cold chill down my spine........

Thanks to everyone that replied, we shall see what happens.

reminds me of the annoying thing my 03 Forester XS used to do.. if you went from R to D the whole car shutters like it can't grab... I was told this was normal but it did not leave me with a good feeling..

Another reason why I wont get another automatic

i love my auto. :D sure it clunks from R to D, but oh well. car runs like a champ even after the brutal torture and beatings it endures from me. :lol:

Well both my auto's went out.. for the Impreza I was no longer able to back up and before it happened the car would slip very bad.. when Reverse went out I still had all 4 forward gears.. I junked the Impreza Not worth my time or effort to fix because it was a FWD car.

For the forester the front Diff blew but thats more or less because of the oil seal was failing and the diff fluid came out and with me at highway speeds it cracked the whole front housing..

And the fact that the new maps for the 4EAT made the car feel slower then the 98 Forester I had before I got the 03.

again, the pre 05 auto trannies are not the same as you have. there have been people on the forums with tranny problems, but usually due to misuse. MOST will admit this however. take the car to the dealer and make sure they keep an open ticket. besides, you will still have the 60K powertrain warranty. I believe you said you are stock?

again, with the exception of my tranny slipping earlier this year after my turbo swap (most likely from the abuse it endured the year prior) i have not had any issues with mine *knocks on wood*. car is running amazingly well, and when i say i do beat on my car, i mean i track it in autox 2-3 times monthly, drag race the car 2-3 times monthly (and have launched it at 4K several times), drove down 6000 miles to have it road and dyno tuned, and continued to beat on it even more. i love this car, so i hope you find out what's wrong with yours.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Right now I'm not that worried about it since it is a very random thing. I'm more concerned that SOA may not cover some rust that I have under the hood. I've noticed that there are many little things that go wrong, but as a whole I really like the car and have fun with it.

Being in Alaska, your autox and drag season must be short. :icon_sad:

yes. from end of April thru mid Sep. Already over... which is why i try and go to as many events as i can in the season. at least now that winter is here, i can go back to not beating on the car as much. the tranny needs a rest, however now I'm rethinking what i'm going to do for next year. i want the new STI hatch badly, so i may end up selling the LGT to get the hatch... :(

I'd wait for the STI if you can wait that long. I saw some photos and it looks alot better. But it's still too flashy for around here with all of the "bling-bling, my car is faster than yours so lets race" attatude around here.

I didn't think your season would be that long. That's the same as my R\C car racing outdoor season.

i think i'll pick up the new STI about this time next year. I want to custom order it and that will allow me one last season with the LGT. :) i love this car. and i love my 5EAT.

has the clunk or slow shifts come back?

• 9 months later...

I took delivery of a 2005 OBP Legacy GT Wagon with Automatic Trans and 35k on the clock two weeks ago. During the last week I've noticed after I've been driving about an hour (mainly on the highway) when I slow down coming to a stop the transmission jerks when I get down to about 15-10 mph. This happens in regular and sports mode as long as I'm not manually shifting the transmission down through the gears. It never happens when the transmission is cold...only after I've been driving for an hour. Other than this I have not noticed anything odd about the transmissions behavior but my experience with automatics is limited, I've always owned manuals in the past.

Anyone else ever experience or hear of behavior like this?

Unless you have documentation, and visual verification to back it up, that your 5EAT fluid has been replaced, you are past due. New fluid is the first order of business for you.

Once you have the new fluid in, have the dealeship reset the TCU and then go through the relearning process. The operation of the transmission will likely, then, be different.

My transmission is now requiring less warm up time before I feel that shock when it downshifts at about 10 mph when coming to a stop. :icon_frow

Selling dealer says 30k service was done in November 2007 at which time trans fluid would have been changed. I tried emailing IPT to see if they had any preliminary troubleshooting suggestions but haven't received any response. I wonder if they can do warranty work on a Subaru Transmission. They are about a 10 minute drive from my office. If I don't hear from them tomorrow I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the local Subaru dealer.

My transmission is now requiring less warm up time before I feel that shock when it downshifts at about 10 mph when coming to a stop. :icon_frow

Selling dealer says 30k service was done in November 2007 at which time trans fluid would have been changed. I tried emailing IPT to see if they had any preliminary troubleshooting suggestions but haven't received any response. I wonder if they can do warranty work on a Subaru Transmission. They are about a 10 minute drive from my office. If I don't hear from them tomorrow I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the local Subaru dealer.

you are soooo lucky to be that close! I found calling them was a lot easier than emailing.

• 9 months later...

How did this get resolved?

• 4 months later...
I have on 2007 5eat and the 1-2 are kinda harsh and the 2-3 is very harsh in the mornings. I haven't had this problem till recently and i am wondering if it is bad. it clunks hard when cold although i have eased up on my driving and shifting has seemed to smooth out somewhat. Will brake torquing make this happen i have done it once and managed to chirp all four wheels by supprise.

Archived