LegacyGT.com

4EAT to 5MT swap

• I Donated
What are the pins on the ECU that need to be grounded when you do the 4EAT to 5MT swap? Is there any other odds and ends that need to be taken care of with wiring?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

So here is the next hurdle.

Donor car is a 96 Outback. Everything is going into a 95 LSi sedan shell.

I put all the body spacers etc on....and the steering shaft on the LSi (the part connected to the steering wheel) is longer on the LSi then it is on the Outback. The intermediate shaft (the ujoint part) from either can will not work because the legnths and the angles are too extreme. I have to take the steering collum from the Outback and put it in the LSi.

IGNITION SWITCH...part numbers between auto vs manual differ. Can I just swap in the entire steering assembley or do I need to swap the ignition

switches around?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I just cut the harness under the steering column down the middle and made a plug and play adapter harness with the donors plugs..

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t232/wakeboardingguy/Black%20Subaru/IMG_20130419_185742_650.jpg

Not sure if that helps but im not sure what you are asking in that first bit... I didnt do any of that...

I'll tell you tho that the damn 95 didnt have a hole for the clutch's master cylinder in the firewall so I had to cut one manually with no reference.... used autoCAD, came out pretty, lol

• I Donated

Let me rephrase.

I have to use the steering wheel and steering shaft from the Outback. The Outback being 5MT has a 5MT ignition switch on it.

Transfering this into a 4EAT car, can I use the 5MT switch or do I need to stick wtih the 4EAT switch?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

This is an absolute nightmare. Using the 96 steering colum has just thrown everything off

At least I have the pedals in now

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

So here is a little background on the project.

I'm retiring my 1996 Outback. This car is far from stock and has been beat to hell. Here is a picture

sub1.jpg.0b7ec6c14810714217db2ef6346e972d.jpg

I picked up a 1995 Subaru Legacy LSi with a bad transmission for $500. I originally wanted to do a sedan, I only bought the Outback because the sedans are nearly impossible to find where I live.

Here is a picture of the LSi before I started molesting it. The car is REALLY clean. No accidents, no body damage anywhere....the thing is beautiful....not even a spot of rust.

558327_10152156275318326_1330371907_n.jpg.16a166fd29f1ecbd878dfe10f0b63c01.jpg

Anyways, here are some pictures of the molestation process. I'm using the Outback as a donor car and taking the lift, tires, steering, suspension, transmission, rear diff, etc and swapping it all over to the new LSi

16.jpg.6cbcb20e9c824e12a319978c4b3f9c45.jpg

15.jpg.3b04b6b0edfa6f78893fda414614e33b.jpg

13.jpg.6e4c5812ed1d25a39e6837c212567673.jpg

14.jpg.24e94db7af091cee32745659bcc754bf.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated

For anyone considering doing an automatic to manual swap, its probably not worth it unless you're

1 - Building something from the ground up

2 - Get such a good deal on a car you can't refuse it (my case)

3 - You're an idiot (probably my case as well)

4 - You really want 5MT but can't find a 5MT car

I've done a lot with these cars before, but every chassis I have worked on came out of the factory as a manual. This is the first automatic car I've done done this kind of stuff too. After being half way through this project I can say that it would be much easier, economical, and probably smarter to just buy a manual car to begin with (if you can find one)

Mechanically the project isn't THAT bad. Its all stuff that most everyone knows how to do, its just A LOT of different things wrapped up into one project. I'm doing it on jackstands in my garage....but I'm getting it done at the speed of snail. Doing heavy mechanical work isn't easy when you have a fucked up wrist and a herniated disk in your back LOL

On another note : If anyone needs parts please let me know. I'll have various parts left over. I'm going to scrap the Battle Wagon at the end of all of this. Interior pieces, mirrors, glass, control arms, random suspension bits, sensors, brake stuff, etc is all going to go up for sale.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

the 5mt swap is on my list of things to do, good to hear some actual feedback on the difficulty. i havent come across a BK with a 5mt so far, so i may be stuck with swapping.

do you have the passenger doors still intact? i need both... also need a bumper. and the radio trim. and sun visors.

• I Donated

Radio trim is already spoken for.

Doors are still intact. They are scratched up from off roading and have some imperfections on them. I'll send some pictures when I get a chance.

I don't have a bumper - they have been destroyed off roading and are missing from the car. I have sun visors, but I think they are pretty beat up. I'll have to look at them.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

the difference in the ignitions is the key release.

the auto only releases vthe key if it is in P.

the manual releases the key if .........

on my 90 nissan pickup, exact same igniton key lock cylinder and mount,

the manual trams has a push button that releases the key.

i have never heard of any one swapping the styeering column when swapping to a manual trans.

just make sure the wiring, ignition, thinks the car is in park.

• I Donated
i have never heard of any one swapping the styeering column when swapping to a manual trans.

just make sure the wiring, ignition, thinks the car is in park.

I didn't want to swap the steering column. I was more or less forced too. The LSi column is longer coming out of the firewall, so after putting the subframe spacers on the front it was putting the intermediate shaft at too extreme of an angle causing it to bind up. I swapped steering columns to the Outbacks shorter one and it solved the issue. The Outback column is about 1.5 inches shorter coming out of the firewall.....So the 5MT swap has nothing to do with the column switch around, its the subframe spacers that made it necessary.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived