LegacyGT.com

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (All-Season)

axis008

[url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S[/url] I found the perfect tires! Ultra-high performance, all-season tires. Rated #1 at Tire Rack. Got tons of good reviews. Just wanted to share that with you guys. Do you think it's good for the price in terms of price itself and features?
-ben

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best A/S tire out there I've seen thus far. Will likely be my pic for the stock wheels in non-summer seasons or trips. :) That's unless something better comes along. Not seeing that right now though. Two thumbs up. Hearing good reviews too. :)

My CECs do well in snow. My buddies CEC's on his STi do even better in the snow (he got some 215/45R-17s because he got a deal on them) because his weren't heat cycled. :D I only got stuck twice because my tires weren't touching the ice (on Lake Winnebago.) :D

I don't like all-season tires. I'm running Nokian WRs right now, an "all-weather" (how the Finns say "all-season," presumably) tire that is snow rated, complete with little snowflake on the sidewall. They're pretty good in the white stuff, probably about 80% of the WS-series Blizzaks, a pretty astouding snow tire. But in the dry and wet, they are so vastly superior to the Blizzaks, it's not even funny. That's the kind of tire I like, while running a summer tire when it's warm. I think that all-season tires tend to have too many compromises. But if you have one set of wheels/tires, the Pirellis are pretty nice. Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
I have those tyres on my BE Legacy. They are great in the rain, they are quiet, they ride very well. They do not wear too fast either. They are, however, all season tyres. They ride well and are quiet because they have soft-ish sidewalls. There is not much feedback from the tyres when you are pushing the limits vs. a friends 340hp STi. The limits are lower than I would have hoped for - as much as I've lambasted RE040's in the past, they have more grip than the Pirelli's. The 4-wheel drifts were mildly entertaining, though. To sum it up, they are a great price/performance bargain for all-around tyres. But they suffer from the inherent compromise of all-season, all-around by being the Jack Of All Trades tyres, good at everything, excellent at nothing. RE01's stomp all over them for dry traction and wet traction, but likely last only half as long and with lower mpg. Cheers, Paul Hansen

I've had the pzero nero's on my wrx wagon now for about 15,000 miles. I've driven my friends wrx with the same suspension setup who was riding on falken azenis, and my friends sti which was stock. now i know both those tires are not really comparable as one is m&s and the other ultra high performance. The problem i have found is the stability is a lot less in my car, i feel as if i have a lot more body roll when they dont. Now im running full strut bars, rear 21mm sway with endlinks and h&r springs. The sidewalls on the pzero's are pretty big and rounded and thats where youll lose the performance. All in all its a great tire, great wear so far, and it does excellant in all wheather conditions. Just be aware thats its not for track use. andrew

Welcome to our little corner of the internet Andrew. ;) Were the tires the same size? In any case, the Azenis are definitely a summer/inexpensive AutoX tire in comparison to just a decent A/S tire. Part of the softer sidewalls is more of a forgiving daily driven ride.

• 2 weeks later...
I have it... Grips great.. very very quiet and ride quality is great! Compared to my previous tires: Bridgestone S-03 Toyo T1-S It barely lost any grip.... transtition handling and response did significantly get slower.. It's the perfect tires for my daily 60 miles of commute..

• 2 weeks later...
When I have to get replacement tires for the GT, I'm going with PZero Nero M&S. Great price. Yes, they are a bit of a compromise in the dry from the full-on PZN's, but for the street I'm not too worried about a fraction less performance. Also, I plan on getting real snows as well, but the PZN M&S blend of price and performance seems too good to pass up.

Sorry, but having driven the full house PZN, and then the M&S version, the difference is quite significant in dry and wet grip IMHO. They just feel sloppy against a good perofrmance tyre like the S03, let alone the full monty PZN. Of course individual pain levels for NVH vs. performance vary, and multi talented tyres often make sense for those willing to compromise. But presonally I'll take the gear that is likely to stop me before I take out the kid that just chased a ball into the street vs. saving a few bucks and regretting it for the rest of my life. But that's just me... Also, should note that TR's tests are done on new tyres, and in our testing we noted it can take up to 700kms for the S03s to break in believe it or not. The RE-01s I have were good when new I thought, but after 500kms were outstanding :D And are still excellent to this day - roughly 18,000kms later. HTH

I am likely to shoot for a second set for race/summer so I can have that high-performance summer tire. I think driver reaction will make more of a difference in the ball situation Anton than anything, but you're right, buying cheap will not do anything to benefit yourself or your cars potential or than a few bucks still in your pocket. Sometimes there are tires though that are much better value though, we all know expensive doesn't always mean better. Nokian WRs or Nero M&S for winter (lets face it, it doesn't snow enough where I am to generally use a snow-only tire as many lack enough on dry pavement to not make it worthwhile for a dedicated version for me.) Something stickier for warm weather, there's a lot more options in this field though. BTW, how do Nokian WRs rate for all-season performance against the PZero Nero? I know a lot of people swear by them, and they do have a snow rating on them.

You just reminded me of my own experience with spending more for less :wink: The maker was Michelin, and we'll leave it at that... They were good for 5000km, then were only holding the wheels off the tarmac :wink:

The Michelins seem spendy anyhow. The Pirelli's aren't a bit better but seem like a fairly decent jack of all trades. But when it comes down to it, that's what they still are. I realize it, but right now, I don't need those uBer summer tires, particularly with a new GT on the way. Gotta burn up those RE92A's before winter though, at least I know I will. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have had these on my 03 WRX sedan for about 6000mi now. great tires. very quiet, good grip and somewhat predicatable. They slip well, but make no noise on their way to loosing traction. They just let go. I would get them again for a daily driven tire that needs to be driven "spiritedly" on a frequent basis. I have done most of my miles on Road Rallies, I only live 6mi from work. And they are great for the 8 hour canyon runs that these rallies have grown into. Good Grip without the punshing me and my navigator with tire noise. RR :D

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='racerdave']When I have to get replacement tires for the GT, I'm going with PZero Nero M&S. Great price. Yes, they are a bit of a compromise in the dry from the full-on PZN's, but for the street I'm not too worried about a fraction less performance. Also, I plan on getting real snows as well, but the PZN M&S blend of price and performance seems too good to pass up.[/quote] If you are getting a dedicated set of winter tires, why not consider a set of "summer" tires for the rest of the year. They usually have better dry and wet grip than all-season tires. In this scenario, the only reason why all-seasons may be preferable is if you are driving where ambient non-winter temperatures are routinely below 40F-45F, such as nightime in the fall and spring. All seasons presumably have better grip at these temps than summer tires. But I suppose summer tires will also work under these conditions, if you allow for the longer warm up time for them in cold temps.

Archived