LegacyGT.com

3rd brake light cover

RoundBoy

Searching has produced threads with no resolution.. and the car has been out for a longer period of time now.

Since I have the spoiler.. i wish to remove my rear window brake light.. not just the bulb, but the entire assembly.

i don't want to have an empty hole there... is there a pre made cover for the LGT like the WRX has ?

has anyone attempted to fill this gap?

I know this has been said, but it's up to you....

Get the rear window tinted and take out the bulb, you won't even know it's there. I haven't seen any covers yet, maybe this year.

well.. a pre-made fitted cover is probably pushing it...

How about where I can source the thin carpet like material that I can put over a template i made to cove the hole.. so it looks better ?

or better still.. a new entire rear deck cover with the hole already filled in (carpet wise) ?

I can cut it myself..

I gotta buy a ton of that stuff for do'n my floor sub, I should be do'n it this weekend (or next), if I have enough leftover I'll send it to ya =)

Oh and if I recall correctly the reason I didn't take it out was there was no way to disconnect the wires at the light, and I didn't feel like search'n for the other end :D That was forever ago so I could be wrong....but that's what I remember think'n maybe ;)

Personally, I would remove the bulb but if u do this it will throw an error that the dealership will have to amend, then tint the rear window and U will never see it.

Ada///M>

There is no CEL from removing the 3rd brake light bulb.

It never threw an error code in my car either. I think as long as there is resistance from any center brake light, you're good. So since we're doing this because of the spoiler ANYway ... it's a non-issue. Just my super-edumacated, overly technical, un-official answer.

• 4 months later...

I did this recently. You have to take the brake cover apart, and then you take the lens cover off. It somes out from undernetah the lens cover, and not from behind.

Hope this makes sense.

X

---

I did this recently. You have to take the brake cover apart, and then you take the lens cover off. It somes out from undernetah the lens cover, and not from behind.

Hope this makes sense.

X

is it different in the 05 cause it looks like the rear deck and the third brake light is one piece

is it different in the 05 cause it looks like the rear deck and the third brake light is one piece

It's not one piece. It's as simple as lifting the brake light cover. Push the light assembly towards the rear windshield and lift. The brake light will lift up without any effort.

• 1 month later...
Guys the 3rd brake light comes out from inside the car as mentioned in the beginning of this thread. I just went to have my car inspected (I took out the 3rd brake light bulb a year ago). They said if the light is there, it has to be working...... Anyway, there is a cover for this. I saw it on here at one point just can't find it anymore. The factory spoiler cars have a cover on them and no inside light. Anyone have the part number for the cover???

There is no cover, cars with spoilers come with the light just like spoilerless ones. I asked everywhere, online dealerships, my dealership, aftermarket, nothing

X

Yeah, but you also said there was a tab in the rear trunk you had to press to get the brake light out. This is not true, at least not for mine.

The guy on here a few months back said there was a cover and he had a part number and everything. I just have lost the thread. I guess I'll just have to remember to put the light in every year before inspection.

There is no cover. There was a cover sold by CC-B for the '02-'03 Imprezas that some people referenced in a couple of threads, but never a cover for the '05-'06 Legacies.

There should be a cover, but there won't be one because it would be much more complicated to make a mold for one of these than the way they were able to make them for the Impreza.

I looked into making a cover through our company's plastics division about 9 months ago. The mold design needed to make it mount up properly was cost prohibitive. I don't remember anymore, but to have a mold made was on the order of $2-3,000. The style cover that went into the Imprezas would be like $3-400 max by comparison.

Archived